Chicago Belly Dancing and Dining?

Jun 6th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Chicago Belly Dancing and Dining?

We are headed to Chicago this weekend and dh has never been! He wants to find a fun restaurant that has middle eastern food (upscale) and belly dancers. We are staying River North. I would like to find something within a 5-10 min. cab ride.

He loves kibbees, but I'm sure that will
be a long shot finding those!
Any suggestions?
Jun 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I can't say I know of any bellydancer restaurant here. Check metromix.com though.
Jun 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM

I was trying to remember the name of a restaurant reviewed on "Check, Please" which (I think) had belly dancers, but I couldn't find it.

This link will take you to a list of restaurants with belly dancers found on Metromix (under the "venues" column).

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/s...=belly+dancing
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I just found a place called,
"A La Turka" which is suppose to
have belly dancers. Has
anyone been there?
Jun 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM
JJ5

Absolutely, I do remember the same show on "Check Please". So I googled belly dance Chicago restaurant and am I SURPRISED. There are numerous choices.

I can't say that I remember A LA TURKA as being the restaurant that was on "Check Please"- it does not ring a bell. I think that one was different.

But reading what I did get- they had lots of choices. One, Juliana's in West Rogers Park area had a rave review.

Since this is NOT 10 minutes away from River North- I suggest you google exactly as I did and find one that is.
Jun 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM

On Sundays there's belly dancers at Tizi Melloul which is close to River North:
http://www.tizimelloul.com/events_pa...ly_dancing.htm
Jun 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Tizo M. looks awesome! As an interior designer, it looks like I could be killing two birds with one stone.
(getting inspired while dining).

I found some reviews that said the
food was "terrible", but I never know who is writing reviews on citysearch or tripadvisor.

Thanks, I will do the google search.
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Good one, Marija - Tizi Melloul was the place reviewed on "Check, Please." It looks fun!
Jun 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
JJ5

Oh, I watched the entire program and didn't remember the name, but remembered the interiors and comments from the guests on her program. They all sounded like they had a wonderful time and would definitely return. Hope you have fun!

Come back and tell us about it, and I'll see if it is worth a trip with my just getting a divorce son. LOL!
Jun 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM

A la turka was also profiled by Check Please on PBS. It looked really fun, and all 3 reviewers liked the place. They only have belly dancers on Friday and Saturday and they said to get a reservation.
Jun 7th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

The "cool" looking place only has
belly dancers on Sunday.

Decisions decisions!!

I was in Cairo and shopped at the store where all the belly dancers in the Middle east get their costumes. It was really cool! They had a photo album of their customers dancing.