Search

Chicago: a few questions -safety, hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago: a few questions -safety, hotels

Our trip the weekend of Oct 2:

My husband says he has heard there are serious safety problems in the city this year. Can someone tell me what's up, and if there are certain areas we want to avoid?

My initial look at hotels seems a bit more expensive than the last time we were there (2-3 years) Is early Oct. a particularly expensive season in Chicago? Are there discount sites i sould check? I'm thinking Park hyatt, Wit, Intercontinental, Swisshotel...something like that.

We're going to a family function in Bloomingdale on Sat. I plan to take the train back to O'Hare, rent a car there and drive. is there a flaw in that plan?

Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find reasons to go to the areas where most of the violence has occurred. The rest of the city remains as safe as any large city. Keep aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

While summer is a busy season, hotel rates are more sensitive to large meetings and conventions. Oct 3-6 is a large graphic arts show that's expecting 30,000 people. In addition there is a large bridal industry show, an oral surgeons' meeting and a couple other conventions that will bring an additional 13,000 people into the city that week.

Hotels that block rooms for large conventions usually release them 30-days before the event. So, book something now that you can cancel and check again around the end of August.

The trip to the airport will take about an hour via the Blue Line train. Then, you'll need to catch a shuttle to the rental counter and fight traffic out of the airport and do the same thing in reverse on your return. All the major rental agencies have offices in the city. You could just rent your car downtown and save some time.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM

We just returned from a 4-day weekend in Chicago & did not encounter any violence, etc. We felt very safe the whole time we were there. Of course, we probably didn't go to the areas that are experiencing problems, as citylghts states. We saw an 11PM show at Second City that ended at 1:30AM & we walked back to our daughter's apartment & felt perfectly safe. There were lots of people out at that time of night so that made us feel safer.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Form a broadly generalizing standpoint, the areas in Chicago where you're most likely to encounter safety concerns are found west of Greektown and south of the South Loop area. Exceptions south of South Loop which are generally okay are in Pullman (extremely far south of downtown) and the Hyde Park area immediately encompassing the University of Chicago and the Museum of Science and Industry -- and even here, it's wise to exercise caution after dark. Most tourist areas in the city shouldn't be a problem.

The usual cautions to avoid parks and deserted spots after dark apply to Chicago much as they do in any other US city.
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM

CityLights offers a wealth of knowledge about all the events happening the dates you'll be there, which is great. I'd just add that I always bid on Priceline for Chicago hotels. Last Oct., my husband and I hit on the Marriot on Mich ave for $73. (Even had a view of Lake Michigan!) I don't live in Chicago, so I'd follow Citylights' lead, but it wouldn't hurt to give Priceline a shot if you are comfortable using it. Bid low, and you've got nothing to lose! Good luck - we love Chicago!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM

What is the Citylights exact website I cant seem to find the right one!
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM

It's not a website, it's the first post dated Aug 3.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM

Try Hotwire as well - I've had great luck with it, and personally feel more comfortable with it than bidding on Priceline. Chicago is great for either site, but it can be tough depending on the crowds when you want to go. I paid a lot more than I'm used to for a hotel in Chicago last summer because two U2 concerts, both baseball teams, at least one major conference and a marathon or something were all in town the same weekend. But what I paid on Hotwire was still $100 or $150 less than I would have paid retail for the same room.

I've been to Chicago several times, always staying in the River North/Loop area, and never felt unsafe. Just use common sense.