Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Moving to chicago . . . where to live . . . best hospital to work at???

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on moving to chicago and need all the help I can get. First I would like to know the best place to live for a young couple mod priced. Also I would like any info on the hospitals. I am a pediatric nurse andwould kile to know which hospital I should apply to and any reputations of hospitals???
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Northwestern Memorial
Children's Memorial Hospital
Loyola in Maywood, Illinois
University of Chicago

These are all very reputable hospitals.
I would suggest going to their websites.

Good luck!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:02 AM

My recommendation: find a short-term rental! The variety of neighborhoods (both urban and suburban) in Chicago is immense. Until you are actually living there, it will be hard to determine what's the right fit for you. There are great neighborhoods if you love city living, beautiful inner-ring suburbs if you prefer a slightly slower pace, and, of course, the immense Chicago suburbs surrounding the city. If you don't want to do a short-term rental, try to visit the city for several weekends to explore your options. Good luck!!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Childrens Memorial is the primo hospital for kids in the entire region. Unbelievable reputation as does Shriners Hospital.

The nice thing about Childrens is that it is located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago which is the "place to be" for young professionals.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Children's Hospital is currently in Lincoln Park but will be moving to Streeterville, near Northwestern Memorial and Prentis Hospital by 2012.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Personally, I would look at Rush or UIC over Loyola, especially if I wanted to live in the city and take public transit to work. Maywood isn't PT friendly and the Eisenhower Expressway sucks.

U of C is also a longer PT commute from most areas where a young couple would want to live (Hyde Park is lovely, but it doesn't have the same social scene as many other 'hoods, especially if you've no university ties).
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:41 PM

I worked in Hyde Park for awhile and wouldn't live there (I'm 31)... beautiful architecture, but limited nightlife, shopping, public transport, etc.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Right downtown, amidst the skyscrapers? Diverse and edgy? Artsy? Great nightlife? How much do you want to pay for an apartment or condo? If you're in your 20s or 30s and looking to experience good bars, restaurants and shops close to the lake, you might want to consider Lincoln Park or Lakeview (LP is more expensive). Other neighborhoods to explore would be the South Loop, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Buena Park, and Edgewater/Andersonville. Good luck!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Evanston Hospital is also a wonderful hospital and Evanston is a great community if you want to get out of the city but have that "small city" feel. Northwest Evanston (Central Street area west of Greenbay) is adorable. Nice shops, restaurants etc...
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I forgot to mention above that Evanston is located about 22 minutes north of Chicago on the train....
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM

You won't find "mod priced" in Lincoln Park, Streeterville or the Near North Side. Take a look at the apartment prices on craigslist.com or chireader.com with a trusty map of Chicago and its neighborhoods before you embark on a job hunt. The hospitals themselves may have information or help on housing in their area. Also, where is your spouse working?

Commuting in Chicago has gotten so horrendous that it is a major consideration in where you'll be living. I would second the suggestion of Evanston (St. Francis and Evanston Hospitals) a town with a lot to offer and a more diverse nd youthful population than any other suburb.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the imput !! I will be taking some long weekends to find out the best fit. IS there anywhere that is def off limits related to high crime ??
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Strass has a good handle on the neighborhoods. My kids live in Wicker Park and love city living They have also lived in Bucktown and next month are moving to Logan Square- keep getting bigger places in which to live. Checking out the areas is very important in finding a community which reflects your personality. If you are used to city living and a bit street savvy you should be fine. Chicago has really come into it own in the last 10-15 years. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:28 AM

In terms of crime, unfortunately, much of the South Side has problems. There are safer pockets, such as Hyde Park, Bronzeville, and Bridgeport, but overall, you're probably better off downtown or on the North Side. Some of the West Side, such as parts of Humboldt Park, is also unsafe. (Beware of fake neighborhood names that realtors will try to sell you on--we once looked at a condo that was listed as being in "West Bucktown." There's no such thing; it was in Humboldt Park, and not in a very good area!)

Most neighborhoods that are right along the lake are great, safe places to live. There could be some exceptions in parts of Uptown or Rogers Park, but overall, those 'hoods are a good bet.

This link might be helpful: http://www.apartmentpeople.com/myAptSearch/maps/
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Here is a good summary of the neighborhoods...click on "all communities" to look at individual neighborhoods.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...e/communities/

We think Chicago is the greatest city in the world...the "liveable New York". My recommendation is to live near where you are going to work. Hospital work is shift-oriented and driving a long way or taking the El at 3 am can be daunting.

Steve Lavey
Executive Pastor
Park Community Church
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I work at Children's Memorial and it's a great place! The nurses really seem to love their jobs. If you are a pediatric nurse, I would encourage you strongly to check it out. The neighborhood Lincoln Park, which I don't live in, is charming. As someone pointed out, we are building a new hospital but it will be years before it is built and the divisions move into it. The new hospital will be in an area with a number of other hospitals and also shopping (you probably know of the Water Tower area). It's not as much residential, and extremely pricey. You could still live in Lincoln Park and easily commute to it.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Chicago is a terrific city. The fun places to live in the city for a young couple are Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Bucktown/Wicker Park. Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village are also great. The El is pretty much anywhere which will help with your commute.

If you want to do inpatient Pediatric nursing then your choices really are Children's Memorial, University of Chicago Children's hospital or Evanston. The first two are major Children's hospitals with world class reputations. Children's Memorial is on the north side and close to all the neighborhoods I mentioned. UofC is on the south side and would necessitate a move to Hyde Park or a long commute on Lake Shore Drive. Evanston is not a Children's hospital but does have a Peds unit and NICU and is well regarded. Northwestern Memorial does not have peds save a NICU attached to Prentice so really isn't an option. All have reputations for treating their nurses well and pay competitively.

Good luck with your decision.

taitai