Search

Chicago - 2nd Segment - Brahmama

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago - 2nd Segment - Brahmama

2nd Segment - Our stay in Chicago

This is long and detailed, so be warned!

We left Union Station and hopped on Train 151 - the bus driver "lowered" the bus down to make it easier for our luggage and we went to Huron & Mich Ave - about 1 1/2 block from our hotel. We rolled the luggage into the Affinia and everyone in the lobby welcomed us! Kristin at the front desk upgraded us to a great room with sofa, desk and large bedroom area. The bathroom was large also. The lighting was great as well (very rare we found out) The bathroom could have used towel racks and hooks, and they never did deliver ice or the "Sound Pillow" we signed up for online, but everything else was perfect. Very quiet, except for a couple of ambulances.

We showered, changed and walked 1/2 block to the bus stop and took 156 to the Art Institute which was free tonight (Thursday) We stayed there about 2 1/2 hours. Then took the bus to Andy's Jazz club for dinner and music. Loved this place. We just ordered 4 small plates and shared them. They delivered them like a 4 course meal and the wait staff was great. We started each with a salad, then French onion soup, an order of Calamari and Bruschetta, and ended up with baked brie & apples. The music was great tonight. We stayed for 2 sets and bought their CD Urban Nomad(We never do that...) It was the Geof Bradfield quartet. We had some Chicago beer (Blue Goose) and decided to splurge on a cab back to the hotel - only $6 with tip.

Friday: Couldn't sleep past 7:45 AM - too excited to be in Chicago. So walked 2 blocks to the Corner Bakery and had breakfast paninis, coffee, Swiss oatmeal and OJ. Yum. Then to bus stop for bus 146 - Transfered on Wacker to 6 and then on to Museum of Science and Industry. (During the summer Bus 10 is a straight shot, but it stops after Labor Day)

We loved the Museum and stayed all morning, until we got hungry. Then just walked diagonally across the street to a great lunch spot, Piccolo Mondo. We loved it here too. Had red wine, soup, salad, and eggplant pasta. Great wait staff - white tablecloth - very old Italian, but our waiter was Juan from Mexico. We enjoyed talking with him.

Took Bus 6 to Wacker where we bought tickets for a 90 minute boat tour. The weather was so gorgeous (low 80's) we thought we should go and not wait any longer. We loved the boat tour and learned a lot of info about the City and the architecture. Then back to our Hotel for a rest & shower.

Up to the Rooftop Bar at the Affinia for a glass of wine and conversation with friendly people. Then we walked down the street to the Elephant and Castle for a so-so meal. We probably ordered the wrong thing and we weren't that hungry.

Saturday

Slept in until 8:00. Went to Corner Bakery again. So reasonable - $12.32 for 2 people. Will's knee is beginning to hurt (had knee scope about 6 weeks ago) so we slowed our pace. Walked over to Water Tower Visitor Center (2 blocks) Went to Hot Tix, but not what we wanted to see on sale, so walked on over to the theater and got tickets for the "Buddy Holly Story" on the aisle.

Took bus up to Conservatory by the Lincoln Park Zoo and walked through the beautiful plants. Then walked over to catch a bus up to North Lincoln to the Church Octoberfest. BIG MISTAKE! and my fault. We got there for the Kinderfest (for kids) at noon - the adult part began around 5:00 PM. So we got some really bad Polish and Greek food (hey - we wanted bratwurst) and ate in the tent while the kiddies screamed. We had a few bites and exchanged glances and got the heck out of Dodge. Threw away the food and left. Oh well, so $40 to the church charity function.

Caught a bus and went to the Chicago Symphony Building which was a full free day of music. Well all of Chicago was there with us, but I did snag a seat and listened to 2 movements of Sibelius and then left, as Will was sitting in the lobby. He wanted me to stay - but no way.

Walked through Millenium Park and then bus back to Hotel. Showered, rested and then walked over to the Buddy Holly Story. The music was good, the plot? What plot? But we expected that! Oh, had a GREAT meal before the theatre at Baisi Thai located in Bloomindales in the Hancock Bldg on the 6th floor. Again we had drinks and small delicious plates to share. Under $20 for Crab Wontons, Spring Rolls, Egg Rolls, and Chicken Satay.

Sunday

Slept in until 8:30. Packed and checked our luggage at the hotel. Caught a bus to the Cultural Center, Beautiful Dome, but not much else on this Sunday. So we caught the bus to Fox & Obel and had a sort of brunch. Good food, but crowded and noisy. We did start a conversation with the young couple next to us and we talked for about an hour! We absolutely love love love Chicago. Friendly, helpful people and such a clean pretty city.

Took a bus to the Navy Pier and then stayed on the bus for the sightseeing. Went back to hotel and picked up bags and walked a block to Superior and picked up 151 Bus which took us right to the station again. Very few people on the bus today - again a great friendly and helpful bus driver. Picked up some food for the train, as it might be late going to St. Joe Michigan.

If you aren't bored to tears, Segment 3 will be in the Michigan Forum.

Again, we can't say how much we loved Chicago. It was our favorite city in our whole trip.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Glad you had a great time here.

re: Chicago beer...do you mean Goose Island? I've never heard of Blue Goose.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Brahmama, I mean this to be helpful, but this post and any more would be much more valuable if they were added as a reply to the first one, so the whole trip report stays together.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

TwoFatFeet,
Yeah, it was Goose Island!

Patrick,
Yes, I've always done my Trip Reports in one continued post, but this one is in several states. After Michigan, for example, we move on to Washington DC, so I couldn't figure out how to keep it together. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM

You can click on several locations in the drop down. So you would click Illinois, Michigan, DC, etc.

I'm glad you had a great trip. I too went to Corner Bakery every morning for breakfast when I was there in August.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Continuing here with our 3rd segment

St. Joe to Chicago for the day
Wednesday Oct 1

Alarm at 7:00 AM (Cell Phone) Had coffee, BLT sandwich for breakfast. Then returned the car to Enterprise who dropped us off at the Train Station ($82.02) Train was 1 hour and 19 minute late!

Got in Chicago about 12:30 Noon and left our bags in the Metro Lounge and walked to Lou Mitchell’s for lunch. Would love to be here for breakfast one day, but lunch was good. I had a pot roast sandwich and Will had a burger and fries. Huge portions.

Then we went on our Cultural Walk for Outside Art. We had a great day for it. We saw many sights including:
White Castle Bullding, Chase Building, the Daly Center, the Rookery, Marquette, and the James Thompson. The art included:
the Chicago Picasso, Joan Miro, Chagall, Calder.

Again we enjoyed Chicago with several people talking to us and recommending certain buildings to check out. Will’s knee gave out, so we returned to Union Station and sat in the Metropolitan Lounge until we boarded the Capitol Limited at 6:15 PM. Next stop - Washington DC!
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Bramama,

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. I am so glad that you had a great time in Chicago.

I am very impressed at your knowledge & use of the bus system. I also learned something from your trip report - a day of music at the CSO. I am sorry I missed it.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Ok, this is being updated for Kodi, as promised! Kodi, I hope you find it and that it gives you an idea or so.

ENJOY CHICAGO!!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks Brahmama. Reading your report is a great introduction to the city. I'm very excited.. ONe more 'wake up' and I'll be on my way.