Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Chicago, D.C. or New York City with mom and teen?

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going with my college age daughter for 4 or 5 nights in mid March. It will just be the two of us with no car.

I just can't decide on which we would enjoy more. We have not been to any of these great cities.

Some of this depends on where I can get the best airfare out of MSP and hotel rates. Who knows - we may end up somewhere sunny but this board always has great advice so where would you go?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
JJ5

I have just spent 2 days trying to get a good hotel rate for D.C. but it's a longer trip and in Feb. I'm rather shocked by the D.C. hotel rates. NYC rates are high too, and you'd need to book sooner rather than later. Of those three, you can get, especially on Priceline, better hotel deals in Chicago.

So airfare is one thing, but I'm finding hotel rates are another.

I loved NYC in March when I went.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Can't go wrong with any of them. I'd rank them:
tied for 1st: NYC and DC
2nd Chicago
The museums tend to be free in DC, a big plus for me, and things are just starting to bloom there in March.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

I'm leaning toward D.C. or Chicago.

Any thoughts on a good hotel where we will be close to many of the sites and in a safe area? I think we'll be a little early for spring as her break starts the 2nd week of March.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM
JJ5

Chicago has immense hotel choices, but the earlier you book the better. Anything on the Chicago River - North Michigan Ave. or surrounds is fine. LOOP is good too. Just don't go into the burbs or near the airports and commute by train downtown. It's just not the same kind of 4 or 5 days doing that mode.

If you want to learn about hotwire or Priceline, read the threads on them here (search feature) or do a Chicago hotel search and you will get eons of information. You can use that for all three cities.

Priceline market is phenonomal on Chicago this far out in time, but will not be for long. So if you want a 4 star at a 2 star price and more to spend while you're here, do it now.

I've been studying D.C. for 2 weeks and have TOO much information about hotels, if that is possible. But overall the prices are extremely high and reviews do not seem to match the prices in any way. And the discount broker market is not as good as Chicago, IMHO. But there seems an immense amount of venues that can be done FREE, and that is a perk.

Although, I think probably, but maybe because I know it so well, but I DO think that the food choices would be less $$ for good quality in Chicago- especially in specific higher end areas you may visit. That's what people are warning me about. I can still get a top notch sit down lunch for $10.00, maybe a little less with drink in Chicago. I picked four choices walking from the theatre this last month. I don't know about food costs re the others, if they are the same. They were not in NYC the last time I went.

Also with that age daughter I would love to hit some theatre/shows. And THAT is Chicago or NYC if that is a factor. I would think you could get Wicked tickets for Chicago now if you try, but just. Any seat is ok, the theatre has good sight lines.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JJ for all of the great advice. Still undecided. She is studying architecture which is the reason she would like to see NYC and DC.

As far as DC, out of curiosity, what did you find the hotel rates to be and which did you choose?

I am going to try and book something, somewhere in the next few weeks... lots of options.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Chicago's architecture is phenomenal. There are actual boat and walking tours that are suppose to be very interesting and informative. Personally, I prefer Chicago and DC over NYC when it comes to architecture. The weather could be questionable in mid March. A few years back, I went to Chicago for a meeting at the end of April and was greeted with six inches of snow shortly after my arrival.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM
JJ5

I ended up doing a quikbook reservations for an entire week at a place called The Quincy (used to be Lincoln Suites before a redo). I almost got an apartment rental (private, vrbo) but they would not do it on a Wed. to Wed. basis. The Quincy has a kitchenette- full coffeepot/ microwave and is plain but spacious, and it had good reviews from those who have stayed there. It's very much an oddity for what I usually do, which is much higher star or diamond.

But in the meantime I am trying in one district only on Priceline, so if they beat my Quincy price for one of three 4 stars in the right place- I will take it and cancel The Quincy.

With the quikbook link, I can cancel anytime within the 3 working days prior with no charges, and no charges are put upon my credit card either for cancel. Priceline, of course, your full charges are put upon the card upon the moment of reservation with no cancels possible.

We will NOT have a car either, and the car looks an issue from reviews. As you will not either, parking and other fees should not be a problem.

There are immense choices but I find the usual majority 3 star and 3.5 star in D.C. have high costs and terrible reviews for the most part. Or did not have availability for my time frame.

If I was going with my daughter of this age, I would take The Tabard Inn.
It's a good location with no car, a personal experience to remember and not the common, and just what I was looking for- an original/funky/vintage not a big box hotel.
But it is for an entire week, & he wants tv and some electronics, which the Tabard does not have. I have had 3 different first hand great refs from Tabard users.

And D.C. is a good choice in March, but honestly if architecture is her thing than Chicago is VERY important.
Chicago's architecture birthed the 20th Century style and the skyscrapper itself. That's why the Chicago Architectural Foundation has so many tours, walking, boat etc. It's actually primo for architectural study.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool NYer and was blown away the first time I saw the architecture in Chicago.

Looking on kayak.com, there seem to be airfares of $139-150 from MSP to Chicago vs. $199 cheapest for NYC on Northwest and even more for D.C.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone..... hmmm.... they all sound good. I did just find great flight prices to NYC for only $125 round trip flying into Kennedy airport. Is that the best one to fly into?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:30 AM

There's really no "best" airport (imo). Most would advise you to use the airport with the best fares/flights. LGA is closest so the cheapest cab ride ($35 vs. $60 for the others) but JFK and EWR both have good train service.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:11 AM

A couple of other considerations: the weather will likely be nicer in DC in March. If you fly into Reagan National, you are only a Metro ride away from the center of the city. March IS the beginning of tourist season in DC (possibly cherry blossom time though they are said to be budding now because the weather's been unusually warm), that's why you're finding high hotel rates.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM
JJ5

But those hotel rates for D.C. are open (available) and there are some good lesser cost options for March, Tabard Inn especially, and in NYC unless you hit a Priceline for 4 nights, I very much doubt it. NYC Manhattan hotels for March, making reservations mid-January are $$$, certainly not cheaper than D.C. for same star levels.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM

NYC if at all posible. I know DC has a lot to see and do - but it's sort of a company town - while New York has some of everything - and something special no matter what your interests.

In March I wouldn;t worry about hotel rates. With 2 of you Priceline is the best choice. Pick 4* only (some 3* can be not so pleasant) in midtown or central park south or even upper west side. You should have no trouble getting something for under $150 at that time of year.