Checking Out King Tut In Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Supposedly the King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh exhibition now on display in Los Angeles, will be the last time these items ever go on tour in the United States (of course, we heard the same thing about the Rolling Stones). In any event, Tracy and I purchased advanced tickets online and headed to the California Science Center last weekend to check out the boy king’s trinkets and treasures. If there is an afterlife, Tutankhamun has it pretty good, and I think you’ll enjoy this exhibition of 150+ items. From small necklaces to large statues to one of the famed Coffinettes (sounds like a good name for the backup singers of the Grateful Dead), I think you’ll enjoy a visit to see Tut’s treasures. It will be in L.A. until early January 2019. Make sure to reserve online before you go...most days the exhibition is sold out.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/kin...h-los-angeles/

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's different from the last time LA had a King Tut exhibit at LACMA

King Tut exhibition comes to L.A., but it's not the same as you might remember
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:10 PM
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
They are putting the gold burial mask on all the advertisements -- is it part of the exhibition?
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

I don't remember much about that exhibit, so it was all new to me again (I guess that's one good thing about getting old). I just think this tour added some pieces not in the last one, kept some of the old favorites and didn't include some of the pieces from the LACMA exhibit.

Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

The gold burial mask no longer leaves Egypt, however the coffinette reminds you what it looks like.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
It IS a pretty cool display. Thanks for all the photos. We saw it when it was in Melbourne but no camera, so enjoyed looking again!
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've given up on the Science Center's special exhibits. The Cleopatra and Pompeii exhibits over the past few years were the last straw. Although the exhibits themselves are interesting-to-fascinating, the dedicated space has been too small, the artifacts poorly displayed and the huge numbers of children uncontrolled (and not entirely interested in the exhibits). On both occasions, it felt as though we had stumbled into a grade school field trip or a Disneyland ride.

The previous Tut exhibit was organized by LACMA which IMO is a better venue for viewing valuable artifacts, and the crowd conditions and behaviors we saw at the Science Center would not be tolerated at LACMA.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

I guess we lucked out. The only kids we saw there were with their parents. We also booked the first timed ticket of the day (10 a.m.)

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 06:53 PM

We were just in Cairo and visited the Egyptian Archeological Museum. This is where King Tut's Golden Mask is located. It will never leave the country. I was blown away the quantity of items that were found in the tomb. There were ten of this, five of that etc. Our guide told us that only items that are multiples go on the 'world tour'. Singles are never permitted to leave the museum, let alone the country for fear of theft. Their next move will be to the brand new Archeological Museum in Cairo overlooking the pyramids. The King Tut tour raises substantial money for the museum and keeps the interest alive for these archeological wonders.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:02 AM

The mask was in LACMA in the '70s when the admission was $2!

And article from the 2005 tour
Crowds Greet Return of the King at LACMA - latimes