Cheap hotels and hostels in SF, LA and NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone I'm from Argentina and I'll be working in California this winter season. After that I plan to visit San Francisco, LA, Las vegas and finally NYC.
I'm looking for some cheap places to stay, I think that probably hostels are the best option for me since I'll probably be traveling alone.
If you have any suggestions about nice places you know or the places I cannot miss while I'm there that would be great! Thank you guys!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Finding a decent place to stay in NYC at super low prics can be very difficult. There is a very large hostel - connected with Hosteling Internationl - on the upper west side - near Columbia University.

I believe a bed in a dorm room with a secure locker is about $40 per night. The hostel also offers a lot of activities, tours etc. There are also a lot of good, inexpensive restaurants in the area.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
$100usd per day to cover your hostel or hotel, food, and all activities, is a very tight budget for the cities you mention!

To find a safe place to sleep for $50/night leaving $50 for everything else is very low and I'm sorry I can't think of anything in those 3 cities that fits that criteria.

Los Angeles is a VERY spread out city so without a rental car, it is a bit of a challenge to see anything (San Francisco and New York City are fine using public transportation because they are more compact).
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:39 AM

hostelz.com is a website that has a search engine for many (but not all) hostels and you can look for a private room or a dorm room. Since I read in another post you're thinking of staying in NYC for 2 weeks, you might consider spending a week in 2 different locations.

Big Apple hostel in the Times Square area gets good reviews although I don't know what their dorm rooms are like (the private rooms get high marks). Chelsealodge.com is not a hostel but an "inn" with shared bathrooms. That might be a good option. The sooner you book, the better. The Westside YMCA is a very popular hostel in a good location and you get the added benefit of using their gym facilities which include an indoor swimming pool. Rooms and dormrooms on upper floors have been renovated.

maps.google.com is a useful tool to see where things are. Their "search nearby" function is very good for finding restaurants near a hostel etc.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Hello argtravel, here is an article in today's SF Chronicle regarding an inexpensive place in San Francisco that you might want to review.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...TL&type=travel
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM

In San Francisco, there is a hostel on Mason Street, convenient to use public transport, relatively safe area, inexpensive places to eat.

I know this hostel as my son worked there.

http://www.sfhostels.com/downtown/
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM

The Hotel Astoria in San Francisco is at the entrance to Chinatown in a safe area convenient to public transport, as of last week was well run, clean, and about $65/night including tax for a private room, shared bath, we liked that there was a sink in the room. We asked about good Chinese food and they recommended R&G on Commercial. I can't remember the cross st. Was not very cheap, about $10-15, but was very good especially the Golden Special fried rice. Sorry, don't have any recs for LA,Vegas,NYC, places we have stayed have been more expensive. Have a fun time in the US! PS you probably plan on it, but using public transport is usually the most economical, as rental cars and gas are expensive in my opinion.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM

R&G? Perhaps on Kearney?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM

yes faina thanks, i think its kearney and commercial. do you like it too?
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM

Sorry, never been there, only heard from others. And work close by.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Try Hostelling International - www.hihostels.com

Lee Ann
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM

I second Elendilpickle's suggestion. The Hostelling International hostels are safe, clean and in excellent locations.

There are many private hostels that are really sketchy.

A few years back we had a number of offspring of our European friends come on their "discover America" summer trips and I've had to pick up or drop off at several of these HI hostels.

If you will have a car, then I'd suggest looking into the San Francisco HI hostel at "Fisherman's Wharf" - it's actually inside of Fort Mason. Terrific location.

In Los Angeles, the one at San Pedro stands out in my mind, but you really need a car for this remote location. Otherwise, try the HI hostel in Santa Monica.

Have a great trip and welcome to California!
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM

When I first went to NYC alone back in the mid 60s I stayed at the West Side YMCA for $6 a night. Last I knew it was more like $60, but worth a look. I know it has been renovated. The location at Central Park West and 63rd is great!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Guys thank you so much for all your replies!!! They're great, I promise I'll take the time to check every suggestion, you've been really helpful.
I think my budget might be bigger but it all depends on my work there at Northstar, CA. I'm afraid that the state of the economy now may affect the tourist season there, but I hope I can work well and get more money to enjoy my trip through the states.
Thanks again everyone!!!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM

Hi, argtravel!

Good luck on your new job!

It's raining now here in the Bay Area, so it will be snowing up at Northstar. There should be a good amount of snow for the winter if these storms keep coming in.

I just heard from some of our family that's college age that they still plan on going skiing and snowboarding this winter, so business should remain quite good for winter sports.

Good luck again and make lots of money!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 04:23 PM

Last year, I stayed at a hostel for one night in NY; it was only $32/night (tax included). It was on Broadway and 103rd or 106th. There are 4 to a room, men and women, bunkbeds. Very basic spartan accommodations; but cheap! The lounge and entry area are actually quite nice. It was called the Marrakech hotel. You can check out the website. I felt reasonably safe there.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 04:18 AM

I don't recommend the Marrakech AT ALL. Hostelling International is in the same general area and much much cleaner. Marrakech has had various vermin problems (including bed bugs at one point).

One thing no one has mentioned is anywhere you chose, read reviews on tripadvisor. There are also photos posted by other travelers on the review page.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:08 PM

www.claremonthotel.net

www.larchmonthotel.com