Cheap hotels/hostels in SF, LA and NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone I'm from Argentina and I'll be working in California this winter season. After that I plan to visit San Francisco, LA, Las vegas and finally NYC.
I'm looking for some cheap places to stay, I think that probably hostels are the best option for me since I'll probably be traveling alone.
If you have any suggestions about nice places you know or the places I cannot miss while I'm there that would be great! Thank you guys!
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Tell us your budget and we can make more useful suggestions . . . .
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I don't really think I have a definite budget yet,it depends a bit on my work there through the winter season, I suppose it won't be less than $3000 for the whole trip. Do you think is kinda low to see all those cities?
Old Oct 24th, 2008, 03:13 PM

NYC alone will cost you a bit. Just getting there and the hotel. It's a 5-6 hour flight.

What part of LA? It's a huge city, very spread out. What do you plan to do there?

You'll probably be able to snag a good deal on a LV hotel. I think most people just stay at the smaller ones off the main strip.

San Francisco- my friend got a good deal on Priceline last year for her SF stay. It's a small city so just go to biddingfortravel.com before bidding and read Tripadvisor reviews.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Does the $3000 need to include airfare flying between these places?

How long are you planning to visit each city?

You've picked (except for Vegas) three expensive cities. Don't get me wrong it would be a great trip, but I think you'd need at least a month to do it and about double the budget you mention.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting guys, I really appreciate that. Let me clear some things up first, I have almost a month to do the trip and the budget of $3000 wouldn't include airfare, that's already arranged here in Argentina, so everything would be paid by then. I plan to stay about a week in San Francisco and one in LA and probably two in NY. I know those are expensive cities so I'm checking hostels prices and see how I can manage to see as much as I want.
Some questions: what is a LV hotel? and do you know any hostels with nice dorms or are they too terrible to stay in?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 07:11 PM

you might get more answers posting on the US forum, looking for budget hotels and hostels.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>what is a LV hotel?</i>&quot; LV is just the abbreviation for Las Vegas - like LA for Los Angeles or SF for San Francisco

I do agree w/ Momliz that you would probably do better if you re-post your questions over on the United States forum. It gets much more traffic than this board.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Hehehe... I thought LV was a different type of hotel to take into account, sorry guys, I'm not an idiot I just look like one... hehehe
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck with your trip planning.

$100usd per day to cover your hostel or hotel, food, and all activities, is a very tight budget for the cities you mention. To find a safe place to sleep for $50/night leaving $50 for everything else is very low and I'm sorry I can't think of anything in those 3 cities that fits that criteria.

Plus Los Angeles is a VERY spread out city so without a rental car, it is a bit of a challenge to see anything (San Francisco and New York City are fine using public transportation because they are more compact).

Have you also read or posted on The Thorn Tree? That's the forum at www.lonelyplanet.com and it is much more geared towards backpacking and budget travel. Perhaps you'll get some suggestions there.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Hi argtravel,

Last year my partner and I went to Buenos Aires and had a great time in your country. We felt very welcome there, and I hope you feel very welcome here too.

Here is a link to one of Hostelling International's SF hostels.

http://www.hihostels.com/dba/hostels...-060009.en.htm

It seems to have fairly high ratings and is priced from $25/bed/night.

Another option that I have heard of is Green Tortoise Hostels and their Hostel Hopper bus that goes between SF, LA, and Las Vegas.

http://www.greentortoise.com/adventu...s.zion.LA.html

http://greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/index.php

Good luck and have a great time!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Hi again argtravel,

I've never tried it, but have you ever heard of couch surfing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

http://www.couchsurfing.com/

Cheers!
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 03:00 PM

US Hostels are not as nice as European Hostels. I think you may do better at a budget hotel. In L.A. I agree with Suze, you may need to stay downtown or just have wheels for a few days.
In NYC you can find hotels for $100/night but less than that, you would be in dangerous or inconvenient areas. The LARCHMONT in the West Village is great, share bath for $105/night.