Reload this Page >

Cheap eats on Kauai and Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:06 AM
penny

I can't wait to get into lihue and Hamura Saimin, and have a big delicious bowl of Saimin and Lilikoi pie, but what other cheaper good local food places can I go to? We're staying near Hanalei. Is Bubba's the burger place that sells that delicious pineapple, cheddar, and teriyaki burger? There was a stand at the road, we ate there nearly three times last time we went to Kauai a few years back. How bout Maui, at Kaanapali, any hints for cheap eats there? We've no kitchen, we'll have to eat out at every meal. What's the entertainment card, and is it worth it?

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Sarah

Hi Penny bubbas just really looks like a greasy spoon to me. But but but you have stirred my interest with the teriyaki burger. I always enjoyed eating at the one room school house. I would not call it cheap but good reasonably priced deli food. In Hanalei there is a mom and pop shop called Hanalei Kitchen I think. They have great malasadas but you have to beat the early morning school kids to them. Go online and check out Zelos menu there are affordable options. Huli Huli chicken in any grocery store will provide great picnic food. Consider a cooler pick up at the Wal-Mart just out from airport. You can pack fresh fruit, cheese, and drinks. You will be surprised at the make shift lunches that become satisfying when you are on the go.

Kapaa is a better bet for cheap eats. Posting this info for others who will have condo but may peruse your email for info in area: Foodland in Princeville can have great lomi salmon (made fresh), tuna redder than I have ever seen and affordable. Frozen lau lau (Ono Foods) or taro. I always find myself cooking, can't get this stuff at home. The grocery store in Kapaa (Safeway) is cheaper but they don't have the better products that is what I have found in Princeville. I also know the Princeville foodland better. People scream over the prices in Princeville but I don't see a difference from mainland North Eastern stores.

Where are you near Hanalei? I am in Hanalei in 18 days. I just love that area. Love walking into town for a cup of Jo in the morning. Love sunsets on the beach sometimes with guitar music. Oh and you should check the calendar at the Hawaii visitors bureau (www.gohawaii.com) for events in the area. There is a slack key at the community center frequently in summer and a farmers market. Fresh taro here and leis. Free guided hikes up in Kokee State Park.

Thanks for the good morning Kauai question. NOW I CAN START MY DAY.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Pamela

Not sure if this is a suggestion that you might be looking for, but one of the best cheap meals that we had in Maui was getting sandwiches at a place in Whaler's Village, and getting a bottle of wine. We had a picnic on the balcony of our hotel room overlooking the ocean. It was very romantic with the nightfall, the breeze blowing, the ocean waves crashing and some music playing below.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:53 AM
Ally

On Maui, we liked De Kine Kitchen for salads and plate lunch/dinner and Maui Tacos for Mexican food. Both are good and VERY resonable.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 11:52 AM
mary

Bubbas in Hanalei is pretty gross, you will not see many locals or repeat visitors there, LOL.

Duane's Ono Char Burger is a tiny shack by the highway in Anahola, they serve all sorts of exotic burgers, your dining companions will be chickens.

I live on Kauai, in my opinion Hamura's is totally hyped. It is a dump, but the saimen is OK. Service can be friendly or cranky, it's a crapshoot.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
kal

Mary,
Can you rec a good saimin place other than Ham's on Kauai?
I'm always ready to expiriment!

Good call on Ono's "dining companions! I forgot all about them!
Kal

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:06 PM
p.

Mary,
You mentioned the "company" at Duane's Ono, but didn't offer an opinion on the quality: - worth stopping for a burger there ?
Thanks
p.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:50 PM
Mary

Rats, I cannot remember the place where my saimen loving Japanese friend makes a beeline to when he visits from the mainland..... Hamura's is good for local color, just don't be expecting a 5-star experience there, LOL.

I would not make a special trip to Duane's but if you are driving to the north shore, it may be worth a stop in Anahola at the red shack in the Whalers General Store/post office parking lot. Locals will eat at Duane's Ono but not a Bubba's, LOL.

Kauai sorely lacks a quality hamburger, sigh.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
crys

I disagree, Mary. I thought Duane's Ono Burger was the best burger I'd had in years. Bubba's was disgusting (but great t-shirts!)