Cheap eats in Maui?

Old May 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Cheap eats in Maui?

We're going to Maui next week, staying in & around Lahaina at B&Bs. We're on a budget and trying to keep the cost down.
Can anyone reccomend any good, local restaurants that don't break the bank - or good places for groceries as we'll have a kitchenette in our suite too.
Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Demery: There is a Safeway Store at the Lahaina Cannery Mall; on the main road, just west of Lahaina Town. Right behind the Lahaina Cannery Mall is Aloha Plate; an inexpensive restaurant on the beach that serves local food. In Lahaina, try Cilantro's; a Mexican fast food restaurant that serves very good and inexpensive meals.
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Be sure to get the ads at the airport for discounts. In Lahaina, eat at Moose McGuillicuddys. The atmosphere isn't the greatest, but the food is good and reasonable. Plus they have breakfast specials and early dinner specials. How can you beat $2 Mai Tais?
And don't forget places like KFC and Subway. We've been there several times and "local" food isn't always a must. Although you should try to go to the Aloha Plate, next to the Old Lahaina Luau. Have a great time.
And
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Very casual, good food and a fun atmosphere. Moose McGillycuddy's
http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/moose_mc/branch2/
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:25 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
Believe it or not, the the Outback Restaurant in Napili from Monday-Friday has Happy Hour drinks and food for something like half off in the bar..
We had 3 drinks a piece plus I had a half order of king crab legs, salad and my husband had a steak with salad and it came to under $50..
Maui Tacos in Kihue is great.. Also, the Kapalua Clubhouse for breakfast is the best deal in town for food and it is stunning! I always get the eggs with salmon benedict with potatoes and toast along with juice or coffee for under $10pp..
Also, Sansei Sushi in Kapalua, Happy Hour.. but if I remember it is after 9pm but yummy..
The coupon books are great..
I always stop at the Costco across the street from the airport and stock up on cocktail material and some snacks..
Have a wonderful time!

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Moose's has early bird breakfasts for $1.99 if you get there by 8:30. That's cheaper than the golden arches!
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

These are all great recommendations - thanks so much! $2 Mai Tais at Moose McGuillicuddys def have to be tried!
We'd also like to go to a traditional luau - I know they are kinda pricey, but which do you Maui experts think is the best deal?
Cheers!
Deb
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Depending on how cheap you want to go, there are some good places in and near Lahaina. L & L BBQ (also in the Cannery Mall) is legendary in Hawaii! Da Kitchen Express in Kihei is GREAT!
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Aloha Mixed Plate is a great place to eat cheap. Nice atmosphere (patio) too. Right near the mall and the Safeway store.