Chatham restaurants for couple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Chatham for 3 nights at the end of July. No kids yet (I am pregnant). Looking for really good restaurants for dinner that are not kid-oriented. Upscale would be great. Money is not a consideration as this is our last "real" vacation" as a no kids couple. Thank you!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Christine's
Wayside Inn
Chatham Bars Inn
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM

The Waquassett Inn has a fabulous restaurant and is on the water. It is on Route 28 at the Chatham/Harwich line.

Also, the Roo Bar.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM

I think Milo means "Christians" instead of Christines. There is also the Impudent Oyster, not as fancy but good.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I have read the posts above and almost agree.I have worked both at Christians and Chatham Bars.YEARS AGO Chatham Bars is over rated as a restaurant ,but a nice place to stay.The restaurant is fancy and nice but its missing something, go to the beach house at CBI if you go there
at all Cbi main dining room is nice for dinner or breakfast if thats what your into. Christians upstairs is different than downstairs although the menu is similar or the same .UPSTAIRS Christians is a piano bar atmophere and is a little less fancy and also kid friendly. Christians downstairs is same menu but a better scale of service .THE IMPUTANT OYSTER IN Chatham is great food and local faces. Its not scenic or upscale but has a local flavor and is fun . Speaking offun THE CHATHAM SQUIRE (down town is a blast)The Squire if full of fun. And good food can be had next door at the "fancy side" of the restaurant both menu's can be had at the bar side of the establishment. The Roo Bar is a chain restaurant located in an old "Frienly's" restaurant building. Do not MAR your trip and dining experience by wasating a minute going to a generic place such as this. There are far better places to go for a great experiance. Christains(My boy friends number on favorite right on Main street), Compari's, Squire and Wayside are all great places to dine. Hope this helps as you can see there are a lot of choices but the same names keep popping up in the replys. Where are you staying when you get here?
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Just want to keep the record straight here. Roo Bar is not a chain restaurant as Cheriberry suggested.

This is a highly popular place that opened in Hyannis about 5 years ago and added Falmouth and Chatham locations in recent years.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Gene if there are 3 roo ars all owned and operated by the same ownership doesnt that make it a "chain"restaurant?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Bucca's-on Route 28 at the corner of Depot Rd. is just up the way from Chatham, and a terrific Italian Bistro. Owned by the former owners of Campari's, smaller, more intimate. Great food.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Cheri...I think Cape based chains like RooBar and Hearth & Kettle are pretty good and the fact they are able to open other locations proves they are good.

But you calling them "chains" might confuse tourists into thinking a restaurant like RooBar is a national chain something like Appleby's or Uno's when nothing could be further from the truth. Actually I wasn't sure Roobar's was not a national chain after your post, until I did a google search.

Cheri, don't we want to promote our local wonderful Cape Cod restaurants over the horrid national chains that are spread out over so many parts of the Cape?

Frankly, I don't understand any tourist who comes here and eats at the national chains when there is such an array of wonderful local restaurants.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM

gene lets get back to the topic...You argue with all the fodors posters, the Roo Bar is far from a good spot in Chatham .Hyannis is a different taste than here with much less class.The Chatham Roo Bar is nothing anyone should fancy, certainly since it was an icecream parlor to begin with . There are much better places for the $$ The roo bar is overpriced and not worth it ! gene needs to get over himself! cheriberry
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Sorry, but I have to come to Gene's defense here. Three local restaurants does not constitute a chain. Especially not the image that most people get when they hear the word chain. RooBar is a small family of locally owned restaurants.

Even though the food at RooBar is just average, many people think it's a fun spot for a drink and an appetizer. Although it probably doesn't fit the bill for the poster, is it really necessary to give Hyannis such a put down? It may not be as quaint and charming as Chatham, but that doesn't mean that the pwople there have less class.

Emcash--if you're willing to travel beyond Chatham, consider going to Chillingsworth on 6A in Brewster. Fabulous French food in a romantic setting with fantastic service. The last time I was there I was almost 9 months pregnant with my third baby and I squeezed myself into the backseat of a convertible for the 40 minute drive there from Sandwich. It was well worth it.

Enjoy your last "real" vacation, and, more importantly, congratulations on the upcoming addition to your family!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:52 AM

The Roo Bar is perfect if you like osterich & No ambiance. The ROO Bar turns into a college kid club after 10.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Here's another vote for Chillingsworth; it really is a must.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Another vote FOR RooBar. (Who cares that the building used to be something else!? ) I certainly prefer it over the Squire, which I think smells like a frat party.

But as someone else said, neither is probably what the OP is looking for while "expecting." The Wequasset fits that bill perfectly, however. Make a reservation for sunset, and get there a little early to stroll the property. We also like Christian's.

Enjoy your vacation, and congratulations on your wee one to-be!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:01 AM

Since I started this Roo Bar discussion by suggesting it I must chime in. The Roo Bar in Hyannis serves the best filet mignon I have had on Cape Cod. And I have been to all of the restaurants suggested in this thread. While Hyannis does not have the charm of Chatham, it does have some very good restaurants. The Eclectic Cafe (hidden down an alley on Main Street with a beautiful garden terrace) being one example.

Of all of them I still think the Wequassett is the perfect choice for emcash. It is hard to find waterfront fine dining on the Cape. It is a resort, the grounds are lovely and Dreamer2's suggestion of a sunset reservation is perfect.

emcash, enjoy the Cape and soon, that new baby.