Notices

charlottesville restaurants

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charlottesville restaurants

My husband and I are planning a short visit to Charlottesville and would appreciate any recommendations for a good restaurant. We are planning to stay at the Silver Thatch Inn. Any comments about the inn? Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM

Hi! The Bavarian Chef is the one you want without a doubt. The restaurant is north of Charlottesville on 29 between Ruckersville and Madison Virginia. It is the best food outside of Germany! My husband was Chief Medical officer in Munich and he swears by it! I too have traveled to Europe extensivley and love this food! They have a good selection of imported beer and the staff is very friendly. I drive from DC anytime I want a great German meal. It is always busy and you can dress somewhat casual if you wish.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:57 PM

Oh, I miss living in Charlottesville--so many great places to eat! Depends on what you're looking for, but for a lovely (if pricey) romantic dinner, the C&O; for yummy tapas and a lively scene, Mas; for comfort food, Bizou (the best meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes ever); for a quick sandwich, Feast; for great pizza, Christian's; and for fantastic gelato, there's a place on the downtown mall that's out of this world. Thst's just off the top of my head. Oh, now I'm jealous!

Check out chowhead.com for more...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Vavino is a newish wine bar on the downtown mall. I stopped in a few weeks ago--it's perfect for an afternoon break. They specialize in small Virginia labels.. http://www.vavino.com/

For a special dinner, I'd suggest C&O;
http://www.candorestaurant.com/

Don't forget coffee at Mudhouse (on the downtown mall) http://www.mudhouse.com/

I cannot get enough of the chips at salsa at Mono Loco (plus the outstanding margaritas). 200 W. Water Street. (Also within walking distance of the downtown mall).

If you're touring the UVA campus, I'd head to Michael's Bistro for lunch or dinner. Hopefully they'll have the duck and chicken pot pie. 1427 University Ave.

And of course... Bodo's for the city's best bagel--great salads too. There are several locations including one near the downtown mall and one on the UVA corner next to starbucks.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:39 AM

HI:
Bad news, Fraggle, VaVino is currently closed while they scramble to comply with the new Va. wine regulations.

Good news for rachel--there are TONS of great restaurants in C-ville. I second gussiespink's recs, esp. Mas and Christians (Splendora's is the awesome gelato place). I would also addashirs for Greek-style food, and Bang! for Asian-style tapas.

Really, just a walk down the downtown mall will show you all the options available.

As for Bavarian Chef--people love it but it is rather out of the way unless you are on your way in or out of town (to/from DC area). I wouldn't go out of my way to go there with so much other great local dining.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Why the heck did that smily appear and what is it doing?? That should just sayn "Bashir's Tavern"
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Sorry, I meant chowhound.com ; obviously, I was distracting by remembering great food.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank's so much - you all have been so helpful. Haven't been to Charlottesville in many years, and we're planning a couple of days there in October to celebrate my birthday. I'm really looking forward to it (the trip, not the birthday). Rachel
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I've not stayed there for a couple of years but we always dined at the Silver Thatch, whenever we stayed there.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up on vavino... that's too bad.

Hmm... well next time I return to Charlottesville where should I go a nice selection of wines.

In addition, I did make the trip to Barboursville Winery once for a special dinner there. To be honest, it was a while ago but I remember being pleased.