Providence RI dining: Cafe Nuovo? Al Forno?

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Providence RI dining: Cafe Nuovo? Al Forno?

Help! Not sure where we should have a nice dinner on a Friday night in July. Anyone been to Cafe Nuovo or Al Forno recently?
Not finding too many reviews on Providence RI restaurants. Any recommendations for fun atmosphere with great food?

Thank you...
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Was a bit disappointed in Al Forno's the last time we went (and there are no reservations)- but Gracie's, in Federal Hill, on Atwells Ave. was terrific- and another(whose name escapes me at the moment) in the jewelry district was also wonderful.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM

There are lots of great restaurants in the downtown area. Since you said Friday nite, there won't be a waterfire. Cafe Nuovo is great but I wouldn't call it a "fun" atmosphere - it's very upscale. There's also Capital Grille, Capriccio, the Federal Tavern, Pot AU Feu...just to name a few..what kind of food do you want? And, do you have a car?
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Gracie's is teriffic, but it recently moved to a new location on Washington Street in downtown Prov., opposite the Trinity Rep theater.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM

We loved Cafe Nuovo and Pot au Feu. Pot au Feu has the BEST creme brulee I have EVER had! Even though there's no Water Fire that night, I think it would be fun to sit out on the terrace at Cafe Nuovo. Capriccio was good, but I wasn't as impressed as I thought it would be. And I've also heard many comments that Al Forno is not what it used to be.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

We like all kinds of cuisines, but I'm more into New American creative types of cuisines where they use light and healthy ingredients. Probably not going to find much of that in Providence... But we will have a car so we can probably explore a little bit...
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

We like all kinds of cuisines, but I'm more into New American creative types of cuisines where they use light and healthy ingredients. Probably not going to find much of that in Providence...
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 02:53 PM

There is restaurnat called Ten - great atmosphere, reallly good food (sushi, steak and fish... and great Mojitos's too.
Dessert menu is simply awesome!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM

That restaurant is Ten Prime Steak & Sushi.

All the recs are great so far. Outdoor seating at Cafe Nuovo would be prime on a nice evening.

I would seriously consider the following:

Mill's Tavern (on N.Main - sadly, no website)
Gracie's (new chef)
Neath's
New Rivers

On the East Side, the Gatehouse is great with some lovely views of the river.

CAV is in the Jewelry District, and may be the spot that capecodshanty was thinking of (??). It's stellar.