Charleston, SC - Car?? - Sights??

Aug 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Charleston, SC - Car?? - Sights??

I am planning a short (3 night) stay in Charleston as a suprise for my wife. Septembert 10-11-12. Do we need a car, or is staying in a central, historic location sufficient? If there are sights to see outside the downtown, can we take some type of tour to these sights? We will be flying from Detroit. Any tips appreciated...where to stay, what to do? Thanks.....
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:17 PM

You could probably do without a car for that time. If you wanted to go to a Plantation you might have to engage a tour. Transfers from the airport are about $20 I think.
Aug 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
GoTravel

No car.

I did an extensive trip report on hotels in February (I live an hour outside Charleston). If you search GoTravel Charleston it should come up.

Aug 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM

My wife and I went to Charleston for a 4 day trip a few years ago. Probably could have made it without a car but I still think it would be best to at least rent a small one to make some of your jaunts. Fort Summter (sp?), a couple of the plantations, a drive out to Isle of Palms or Kiahwi (sp?) would be worth it also. The beaches will still be a great place to relax in September and without the crowd.

I would suggest that you definitely do a carriage tour as well. I think the one we used was called Old South or something to that effect.

Have a great time it is a lovely city!
kw
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel:

I read your trip report about your time in Charleston. Great read, great humor, great tips and ideas. We are definitely staying at the Harbour View Inn!
Aug 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I was there for a week on business (tough life) and stayed in the historic area. I didn't have a car, and found that I never wanted one! It's such a beautiful, walkable area - you and your wife will love it.

Don't know if it interests you, but I did a ghost tour and it was really entertaining and a nice way to see some of the area. Definitly fun for an evening activity!
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Since it is your first trip (& a relatively short one at that) you'll find plenty to do w/out the aggrevation of having car as well. Everything is pretty much walkable & tours are available to the Plantations & what not. I'll suggest the Planters Inn for starters & plan dinner there as well.
Aug 29th, 2005, 06:43 AM
GoTravel

dwzemens, you'll LOVE the Harborview! The view from the lobby is incredible!

Make sure you walk down the street to the Vendue Inn and have a drink at the rooftop bar. Even in the heat of the summer the breeze from the harbor makes it very pleasant.

Get a city map and try to familiarize yourself with the layout and mark the things you want to see.

Take a carriage ride.

Shop on Kings Street. Some of the most unique shops in the US are on Kings Street. Want a custom tie or engraved buttons? Ben Silver. Antiques? Furniture? Designer shoes? All on King Street.

Bring comfortable shoes. The sidewalks aren't concrete and are not level.

Have a blast!

Aug 29th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

We cannot get a view room at the Harbour View, only an historic room with city view. Is this still where we should stay?
Aug 29th, 2005, 09:01 AM
GoTravel

Okay, check the rates for a standard room at the Market Pavillion and ones for a suite at the Vendue Inn for your dates and get back to me.

You may be able to get a suite or fantastic room at a moderate hotel with a view as opposed to a standard room at a lux hotel for the same price.

The Market Pavillion is a little better located than the Harborview which is still a great location.

Aug 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

GoTravel,

Thanks again. The Pavilion Hotel looks to be very much more expensive than the harbour View...the Vendue Inn does not have availability.

Aug 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM

If you're staying in the historic district (we liked the Renaissance Marriott...the Charleston Floor, if you don't end up at Harbor View), then you'll be able to walk virtually anywhere you like, or take a quick cab if necessary.

I would highly recommend a day trip to Middleton Place Plantation though, for a wonderful taste of history and to view the gorgeous gardens. ~middletonplace.org

You'll have a romantic and memorable time!
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:53 PM
GoTravel

You'll be very happy with the Harborview!