Girl Trip - Looking at Charleston

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girl Trip - Looking at Charleston

We are gearing up for our next girlfriend trip and thinking about going to Charleston, SC. The only time that seems to work for all 6 of us is mid-March 2006. What is the weather like then? Keep in mind we are from Minnesota so it doesn't take much to be an improvement during that time of year. It sounds like there is plenty to see and do (i.e. historic homes \ plantation tours, Patriots Point, shopping, etc.). We are looking at 4 days \ 3 nights so would it make the most sense to stay in the historic district? Do you need to rent a car or can you walk to most locations or do tours? What about the nightlife? We are all getting up there in years but still like to have fun. Is Charleston a good place for a girlfriend trip? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Hi golden, having been to Charleston this last April (the second week of April) with my friend OWJ I can't think of a better place to go to with some girlfriends then Charleston!! I am in California so I will have to leave it to the natives to tell you what the weather is like in March but I can tell you the weather in April was perfect!

We stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel. We had the valet park the car once we reached the hotel and did not use it or need it until it was time to leave.

May I suggest that you click on GoTravel's name for a wonderful trip report that she posted the beginning of 2005. She lives close by but went to Charleston and played "tourist". Her trip report certainly added so much to our visit.

Charleston is beautiful and has everything you mentioned. Have fun!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Sounds like fun and you can definitely do most of what you want without renting a car. I'd see if Charleston Place (hotel) still does afternoon tea. I did that once with a friend and it was such an elegant treat.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Should be a really nice time to visit Charleston. For the number of you it would probably pay off to rent a car, just for the cost of a taxi from the airport. It would also be nice in order to take a plantation tour. Our favorite is Middleton. And if you go to Patriot's Point, you would need a car, but there is MUCH to be done within walking distance in the historic district.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:15 AM

we were in Charleston last year and really enjoyed it, however much preferred Savannah- just beautiful. really enjoye dthe drive along the coast, too.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:01 AM

If you go the latter part of March, you may be able to catch the Festival of Homes and Gardens. Check the website
www.historiccharleston.org for more info. You have to buy the tickets as soon as they are available in late fall, as it sells out....also might be wise to make hotel reservations as soon as possible, too! We like the Meeting Street Inn - right in the middle of town across from the Market. Great atmosphere.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:04 AM
GoTravel

The temperature could be 65 or 85 but plan on mild temps.

Do not rent a car. Stay in one of the historic area hotels. For six of you, I'd splurge and stay at the Market Pavillion Hotel.

Fabulous shopping on King Street.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I don't know, Charleston is beautiful and historic but if the focus of your trip is to spend a fun time with your friends it wouldn't be my first choice. I went once in April. We stayed in the historic district. (We had a much better time on Jekyll Island) This is only my opinion and I only visited once so I could be wrong but it seems like all the locals left there long ago, making way for the tourists and wedding guests and unless your focus is architecture or gardens I would pass. (But then again people do love it.) I have had a blast with my 35-40ish friends in New Orleans (and not on Bourban Street necessarily) and in Ft. Lauderdale-they spiffed it up. We stayed in Lauderdale by the Sea, shopped on Las Olas, spa at the Marriott Harbor Beach. Took cabs everywhere in both locations.