Charleston S. C. Restaurants

Feb 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Charleston S. C. Restaurants

Will be in Charleston beginning of March. Any restaurant suggestions for great B-B-Q, Lowcountry fare, Seafood? Looking for where the locals would eat. Atmosphere unimportant if food is great!! Staying in the Historic District. Thanks
Feb 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM
GoTravel

Expensive:

Penninsula Grille
SNOB

Moderate:
Poogan's Porch
Jestine's Kitchen

Cheap:
Andolinis Pizza

Feb 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel. Any suggestions for B-B-Q?
Feb 8th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Chicago,

you'll have to clarify what you mean by barbecue. In the Carolinas it almost always means one thing: slow roasted pork, pulled, sliced or chopped, and often put in a bun, with slaw to make a sandwich. The you have the great sauce controversy: in NC you either get a milder tomato-based sauce (western style) or a spicier vinegar-based sauce (eastern); in SC you can get either of the NC styles, but SC adds to the mix a mustard-based sauce.

That said, maybe some other knowledgeable posters can help you in your quest for cue in Charleston.

A few other restaurants besides the great ones Go Travel mentioned are:

Hanks (seafood) and Sermets (eclectic). For low country, also consider the short drive across the new bridge to Mt. Pleasant, and get some great low country veggies, etc. at Boulevard Diner (Coleman Blvd, veer right when coming off the bridge).
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM

For BBQ, my favorite for pulled pork and hash is Bessinger's BBQ on Savannah Hwy also called Hwy 17 South (West Ashley). The Bessingers have been making BBQ in Charleston and SC for generations. It's a very casual place...you place your order and carry it to your table.

Jim & Nic's BBQ on King Street is a relatively new spot in town that has gotten rave reviews. I have yet to get there (so many restaurants so little time) but all my friends that have been there love it! They've got ribs and pulled pork.

You may hear folks going on about Sticky Fingers but I'm not a huge fan. They are a chain with restaurants in SC, NC, GA, TN and FL that also does a lot of catering. If I need a large order of pulled pork, beans and slaw and can't get my dad to fire up the smoker and throw on a Boston butt, I'll order from Sticky Fingers but rarely go into the restaurants.

For lowcountry fare, a few places come to mind. If you've got a pretty good dinner budget, 82 Queen (on Queen St btwn King and Meeting Streets) would be my pick. However, you can still get the same great dining experience by going there for lunch at a fraction of the price. If you go there, you have to get a cup of their she-crab soup...the best in town in my opinion. Take a look at this link and you can read about my latest trip there... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._Carolina.html

Another spot that I like is Poogan's Porch also on Queen just 3 doors from 82 Queen. Poogan's is more moderately priced and is a great place for dinner or lunch. When you're seated, they bring you warm biscuits with honey butter...yum yum yum. I used to work around the corner from here and would have lunch delivered 1 - 2 times a week...I LOVE their fried chicken salad with honey jalapeno dressing. They have a good brunch on the weekends as well.

Bookstore Cafe on King Street (just north of Calhoun) is great for breakfast and lunch (closed for dinner). Their Island Potato Casseroles are HUGE but so so good. You definitely need to come with an appetite when you come here no matter what you order!! They do get pretty crowded for breakfast on the weekend so get there early before all the college kids!

Lastly, Jestine's Kitchen on the corner of Meeting and Wentworth (across from the fire station) is traditional southern cooking. They've become pretty popular in the last few years so if you don't get there by noon, you could have a wait. While I do go there every couple months, I am sometimes hesitant to recommend it as both the food and service can at times be hit or miss. I will say that Tuesdays are my favorite days as the blue plate special is sweet chicken with lima beans.

Enjoy your visit!
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Travelgirl,

I had a very light lunch today . . . you just HAD to go into detail about those wonderful meals, didn't you?

Feb 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM

What can I say beach_dweller, I do LOVE my food!! I'm volunteering at the Charleston Food and Wine Festival in March and can't wait to check out the Cullinary Village!! Thank heavens for the inventor of elastic!!
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

beach_dweller. Thanks for the BBQ tips. I'm a midwestern guy so will just have to try the different approaches and figure it out!

Travelgirl, thanks for all the detail and great sounding restaurants. Excellent tips and appreciate the menu suggestions too. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Any opinions of Red's Ice House in Mt Pleasant for fish/seafood?
Feb 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM

If you are going to Middleton Place, plan on having lunch in their dining room. The food is super.
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Red's is GREAT! It is very casual and laid back. The seafood is fresh off the boat there on the Creek. One of my favorite places on Shem Creek. They usually have live music a few nights a week and all kinds of great specials. If you have done so, check out their site for their winter specials: www.redsicehouse.com. Red's is an easy drive from the downtown area...just take the new Ravenel bridge and keep to the right when you come over the bridge...stay on that road (Coleman Blvd) 'til you cross over the Shem Creek bridge (not a big bridge) and you'll see Red's on your right.

Can't beleive I didn't mention seafood restaurants in my orginial post! If you're looking for more upscale seafood, my favorite place in town is Hank's on Hayne Street (just slightly north of the Market). They are only open for dinner and I do suggest reservations on weekend nights. Another great local spot in the Market area is AW Shucks on State Street at the corner of South Market...very casual as well.

Definitely let us know where you end up dining and your thoughts! Enjoy your visit!
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM
TKT

As a northerner in Charleston I didn't realize that when you make reservations it's good to ask to be away from the smoking section( if you don't smoke).
Homelly Grill-about 10 mintue walk from historic district served a wonderful brunch.