from europe to US in August

Feb 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

from europe to US in August

We are planning to visit the US next August(15 t0 31 more or less) travelling from Europe.We'd like to visit Las Vegas, Grand Cannyon, LA (museums, universal studios, Hollywood), SFrancisco, Carmel (Yosemite Park? Death Valley?)Anyone could,please, give us some ideas to plan our journey: how many days, means of transport (plane in the Us, only by car), places to stay. We are 4 adults 50s and 2 teens) Thank tou very much.
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Ouch. Sounds like an exhausting trip- and hot, hot hot. I would think about a different agenda involving cooler climates. How about skipping LA and Las Vegas? Do San Fran (2-3days,Carmel and Monterrey (1) Yosemite (2-3) and if you have time go north? Driving up the California coast to Oregon is incredibly beautiful and beats the heat of LA or Las Vegas.
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM

You have proposed a very packed itinerary. Are all of those places "musts" or ideas?

Anyway, considering all you are trying to do Let me suggest:

1 night/2 days in Las Vegas (really, that's enough to see it)
1 day touring the Grand Canyon
4 days in LA (need a car to visit LA)
5 days in SF (no car required here)
2 day in Yosemite

The remaining two/three days you will need to drive between these places.

I won't suggest lodging until you've decided where you will be. What's your hotel budget? FYI, hotels will cost about double in SF than other areas
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:09 AM

You are going to need to rent at least a mini-van for that number of people. You could start in Phoenix Arizona and end in San Francisco. So first you might investigate one way rental possibilities for that length of time.
You may have to edit some things but it should be possible in two weeks.
From Phoenix drive to GC. I would not do Death Valley in August. From GC you can go to Las Vegas and also see Hoover Dam and go on to LA. Spend several days and start up the coast through Carmel and to SF. From SF you can go to Yosemite and the Sequioias. I am doing this a bit from memory as this is a trip we made20+ years ago with our children. It is spectacular.
Feb 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Be aware that August is the worst possible time to visit the Grand Canyon, with heat and crowds at their maximum. Don't be surprised if this combo makes you wonder why people bother to come.

Death Valley in August is even hotter, to the point where I really can't recommend it at that time of year.
Feb 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Everyone says that the crowds at the Grand Canyon in August are so bad, but I did not find that to be true when we were there in early August. The temps at the S. Rim were pretty comfortable, but I wouldn't want to hike down into the canyon because it get's hotter the lower the elevation.

For Yosemite, you need reservations as soon as possible if you want to stay in Yosemite Valley and that's the BEST location to be in, IMHO.

Las Vegas & Death Valley WILL be HOT in August.

Utahtea
Feb 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Here is a partial suggestion:

SKIP Death Valley during summer!

2 nights in Las Vegas.

3 nights in Los Angeles

3 nights in San Francisco
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM

You have picked the absolute worst time of year to visit Las Vegas (the middle of a desert and hot as hell - routinely temps are 110). Don;t even think about Death Valley (there's a reason it's called that). Also, grand Canyon can be unbearable.

If you do go to any of these places by car be aware that you must carry a LOT of water with you - for you and the car, have a working cell phone and be sure the gas tank is always full. Getting stuck in the desert is dangerous - not just unpleasant.

And as others have said - 2 weeks is not nearly enough time for this trip. I would stick to California and do the basics there - and save the desert for a trip at another time of year.

Feb 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I'm afraid I'll be a broken record on this one

YOur idea to visit San Francisco. CArmel, Yosemite and LA are very doable--YOsemite will be crowded, and you will want to plan your lodging in the park soon if you plan to stay in the park--you could fly into SF, tour the area for a few days [maybe with a car, maybe without]--then rent a car, go to CArmel for a few days, then go to YOsemite for a few days (It's about a 3 hour drive from SF to Carmel, depending on traffic, and probably 4 hours from Carmel to Yosemite, if my memory is correct), then you could go to LA on interstate 5 from Yosemite. I think you would want to allocate at least a week, probably more, to the northern calif portion. I"m trying ot remember--the drive to LA from Yosemite would be 4-5 hours, adn the drive from LA to Las Vegas would be about the same. it will be hot in Las Vegas, but it's all air conditioned and there are swimming pools everywhere. LA is cooler at night and cooler by the ocean.