Search

Charleston hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Nancy

Charleston hotels?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Charleston next month. Any hotel/B&B recommendations? Also, we'd like to stay part of the time near the ocean. Any suggestions there?
Thanks!

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Danie

Nancy,
We just got back from Charleston a few days ago. (can't wait to go back)
We stayed at the Charleston Place (a bit pricey, I don't know what your price range is). The hotel was GREAT, the rooms are very big and comfortable, the service is supperb. It is located in the center of the historic distric so we never used our car. I don't know about beach accomodations, but I think that would be out of the city on the adjacent islands.
Have fun

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 04:22 PM
razan

We love the Courtyard Downtown Riverview. It's not your typical Courtyard, and overlooks a beautiful marina. Be sure to ask for a riverview room.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Danna

I always stay at CHarleston Place, agree w/ the 1st poster, it is expensive(have paid everything from $150 w/ a convention to $279 during the Cooper River Bridge 10k weekend), very nice, and very well located. You should not need the car for any in-town activities.

However, Charleston is famous for it's B&B, if my husband didn't refuse to stay in one (afraid he'll have to be nice to someone other than me), that would be my choice. I suggest you do a web search, but some names would be: King's Courtyard Inn, Two Meeting Street(most beautiful), Indigo Inn, Vendue Inn.

As to the beach, there are few choices. As far as I can tell they are:

Holiday Inn on Folly Beach
that's the only hotel on the beach (that's why I like Folly) Otherwise rent a condo or house from Fred Holland REalty. Houses are almost impossible to get for less than a week. Not sure about condos. I have learned, however, that if you are willing to wait until the Tuesday before the weekend you want to be there, they will let you rent a house for a minimum of 3 days. I got a nice but not luxurious BEACHFRONT house last August which slept 6 for $1100 for 3 nights.

OR: on Isle of Palms which is busier, newer(the development-not the island), and more expensive, call Island Realty to rent a Condo. There are lots of condos in a private development called WIld Dunes. I think there may have been a hotel built on the island recently, but I don't know the name and I think it's the only one.

Have fun!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:49 AM
mh

The Ashleigh Inn was absolutely heavenly 3 yrs ago. I would check out their website, I got the room for a hundred bucks a nite thru the states tourism stops on the highway.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Joe

We stayed at the French Quarter Inn in March and it was great! Room was huge, great location & the inn just opened this year. They have a wine & cheese reception every day at 5pm. I knew it was the place for us when they offered us a glass of champagne when we checked in!