Charleston and Savannah - How Many Days Each?

Jun 24th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Charleston and Savannah - How Many Days Each?

Just starting to plan our July 19th to 25th trip to Charleston and Savannah. I hope it won't be horribly hot and humid, although we're coming from the DC area so we're kid of used to it.

We will be arriving in Charleston at 2:30 Sunday afternoon, flying out the following Saturday early in the morning. So it will be 6 nights, but only 5 full days. How many nights should we allocate to each city? We especially enjoy history, museums, and the outdoors.

I'm thinking it probably makes the most sense to visit Savannah first, driving directly there upon arrival, since we depart very early from Charleston Saturday. So if we arrive in Savannah Sunday well in time for dinner and strolling around, when would we want to drive back? Tuesday night? Wednesday morning?

Thank you for any insight/experience you can offer.
Jun 24th, 2015, 07:28 PM

I spent a week in Charleston in November. My original plan was to drive from Charleston airport to Savannah first, then meet friends coming into Charleston for several days with them afterward. After doing some research on both areas, I changed my mind and decided to spend the entire week in and around Charleston. There's so much to do there I'm glad I stayed and had a wonderful time, never ran out of interesting things to do.

Here are my Charleston blogs:
http://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/port...harleston-sc-1
Jun 25th, 2015, 02:34 AM

At least 3 full days in Charleston--2 in Savannah. You might do well to just head to Savannah on your arrival day and consolidate that time, as you suggest. Come back Tuesday at noon. Much more to do in Charleston. Stop in Beaufort on the way back to Charleston.
Jun 25th, 2015, 04:49 AM

It will be hot and god-awful humid. I will be there at approximately the same time.
Jun 25th, 2015, 09:33 AM

I agree with Gretchen's allotment (and Janet's weather report LOL)