Charlesmark Hotel, Boston-opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked a room for myself for 3 nights in July. Happy birthday to me--I've never been to Boston before and this seemed like a good location and handy to transportation to/from airport. Other travel sites seem to have mostly favorable things to say. The posts here on fodors re this place are all old--anyone have any recent experience here?
Old Mar 6th, 2015, 01:44 PM

Very good location is all I can say. Have never stayed there.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I could also use some restaurant suggestions, if you would oblige. I love good food! I'll be a party of one.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 06:57 AM

I could also use some restaurant suggestions, if you would oblige.

What sort of cuisine?
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

American (new or traditional), Italian, tavern food/gastropub, seafood. I'm not planning to bring anything dressy, so no place where I can't wear jeans or black capris. I don't mind sitting at the bar to eat/drink.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 03:11 PM

Just checked some reviews on TA and Charlesmark gets decent reviews. Great location! Happy July bday! Go and celebrate in Boston.

Restaurants - never a lack of them. North End for great Italian.
Casual should work for you as most every place in Boston should be pretty casual. "Rooms are nice, modern, comfortable, there is a nice little bar in the lobby" but no restaurant (another report said there was a restaurant). Not to worry, plenty of restaurants in Boston.

Do visit the Boston Public Library to view the art work. "This is a great library. it is HUGE and loaded with great artwork on the walls. Even if you are not interested in looking at books, the inside of the library is worth the visit when you are in Boston. It is open 7 days a week".

"Take the free tour--the guides are very good. If you pay attention, you will fall in love with Boston. Don't miss the John Singer Sargeant Hall with his history of religion depicted in huge murals on the walls. Also there is an unusual Joan of Arc collection"

"Free admission to see murals by John Singer Sargent, Puvis de Chavannes, Edward Austin Abbey plus changing special art, map and book exhibtitions. One of the best places to go in Boston." (Comments from those who have viewed the art work, etc.)

RESTAURANTS: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...achusetts.html

FOOD TRUCKS: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food...ry/foodtrucks/
http://roaminghunger.com/bos/vendors/

I'm sure others will chime in w/ their recommendations.

Have a great visit.
Old Mar 8th, 2015, 08:07 PM

I'm not planning to bring anything dressy, so no place where I can't wear jeans or black capris.

I wear jeans everywhere, so not an issue. Maybe Menton might blink, but it is horribly overrated anyway. No 9 Park might also prefer more formal dress.

Quick thoughts:

The bar menu at Clio seems perfect. Great cocktails. Great food. Long-standing restaurant that has managed to remain relevant. They draw the menu from both Clio and Uni, which is the sushi bar extension to Clio. Both are also worth a try not at the bar.

For Italian, you aren't far from Erbaluce. You can do reservations or sit in the trattoria/bar. I like the trattoria because you can order from both the dining room and the trattoria menu.

Grill 23 has a nice bar menu too. It is an old school steakhouse but the kitchen is revitalized and really putting out great stuff right now. Buzzy atmosphere but great service.

In Cambridge, I love Puritan & Co for farm to table. They have a bar or seek out a seat at the prep/raw bar counter.

Another choice in Cambridge is Hungry Mother for excellent New Southern. Again, they have a bar.

My favorite place, though, is Asta. You have to call for reservations and you want to ask for the counter to watch the open kitchen and interact. The chef was sous chef at L'Espalier (long one of the "fanciest" places in town), but he quit and staged at noma. He came back and opened Asta with his wife (she runs the front of the house) and it is what a restaurant should be. Quality ingredients but with a willingness to take risks and put out unexpected dishes. It is real cooking that has a voice, not just competently done classics. Charming, casual service. The wine program is very good and if you get the pairing you will get some very thoughtful, off the beaten path choices.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 01:25 AM

And wander over to the Liberty Hotel for a drink - or to eat in one of their restaurants. It is the old Charles Street jail and they have preserved a great deal of the interior, including some bars, cell blocks, walkways. They have an outside patio area using part of the prison yard, but sit in an inside bar to get the full atmosphere
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Now I'm wishing I could stay longer just so I can eat more meals!

The library is a good tip, too--I loved the Library of Congress tour in DC.