Reload this Page >

Nantucket Restaurants?

Search

Nantucket Restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Gayle

Nantucket Restaurants?

We're off to Nantucket at the end of the month to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

We have a list of restaurants that interest us and it appears all need reservations and a few require jackets. Anyone have feedback on them? Advice to avoid any of them? And...does my husband really need a jacket other than at Chanticleer and Toppers?

We like really great food and excellent wine lists.

Here they are:
21 Federal
Chanticleer (the big anniversary dinner)
SummerHouse
American Seasons
Oran Mor
The Pearl - anyone been here? I hear mixed..
Toppers
Company of the Cauldron
Black Eyed Susans

Thanks Fodorites.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:09 AM
topper

Topping

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:24 AM
nina

Gayle, I would definitely add DeMarcos to your list this season. Get the eggplant appetizer, to die for!The rest are excellent choices, with one exception.

You may want to rethink Chanticleer. I spoke to 2 couples last week who went and said their dinner was so-so. It varies every year. At a minimum price of about $ 300 for dinner with wine, you may want to decide if it's worth it. They claimed it most definitely was not. Topper's would be just as much of a splurge, and also very special, especially if you take the complimentary boat launch there from town, and supposedly the food is better.

21 Federal requires a jacket except if you eat in the bar, which has a lower priced cafe menu.

Make sure you check Company of the Caulfron's menu as soon as you get on island. It offers one, fixed price menu every night. If you check it at the beginning of the trip you can reserve for the night with the most appealing menu.

The Pearl does have excellent food, but it's very different. Kind of an Asian, fusion thing going on and the menu doesn't appeal to everyone. That's why we didn't go. My husband just didn't see anything on the menu that looked great.

Have a great trip, and bring lots of money, you're going to need it with that dining itinerary!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:17 AM
ack

I've eaten at the Pearl each weekend during the last two weekends. It's my favorite restaurant on island. It definitely has a trendy type of feel, but a jacket isn't required. Wearing a jacket is not required, but you'd certainly not be out of place without one. I'd personally say that my favorite restaurants on island are (in order)

Black Eyed Susans (byob) no reservations, very casual, great food

Pearl - cool scene, great food and service. i love the tenderloin and also the tuna martini appetizer.

American Seasons - very "nantucket" feeling, casual but still elegant and intimate. fantastic food

I do like 21 but have heard mixed things about the service recently. My feeling is that it's been upstaged as "best restaurant" by the Pearl. Still, you can't go wrong with the food.

back in teh day I actually used to work at DeMarco, adn both the food and location is truly top notch. I'm not a true Italian fan as much as other cusines, so I tend not to list it as my favorite. Still, fresh pasta, beautifuly prepared food, fresh shaved parmesan....mmmmm good.

I also like the Brotherhood for super casual, sandwiches and chower type of meal. Steer clear from the Ropewalk unless just for drinks. Location is spectacular, food is not. Chanticleer is also suposed to be fantastic but alas, I've never been. Ate at Black Angus also recently - it's a newer steak house. Food really was great, if you're into steak, but it's out of town leaving much to be desired for location and ambience. My experience at Oran Mor was that the portions were tiny, and for the price give me the Pearl any day of the week. Summer house is great for drinks down by the pool in teh daytime. If you're in Sconset, try dinner at the Sconset Cafe for a super relaxed, old school New England (guys in Sperry boat shoes, ripped T-shirts who are worth $100 Million) BYOB type of place. If you have to have sushi, I recommend Blue Fin which has a relatively "cool" interior and the only fresh sushi in town (not frozen).

You're correct about jackets. teh only place where you might need a jacket would be Brant Point Grille but I'm not sure.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:24 AM
nina

Ack, Is Black eyed Susans still BYOB or have they gotten a license? That was one of the things I loved about it.

I also still love the Brotherhood for my annual fried fish. Once a year I indulge in a fried fish platter with lots of tarter sauce and I had it last week at the Brotherhood. Thin, crispy fillets - excellent, my mouth is watering! Oh and the kids just love the curly fries and chicken fingers!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
ack

Nina, Yes Black Eyed Susan's still has a BYOB policy. Most bring wine which they will chill, open and serve to you. Of course, people also bring six packs of beer, even liquor and mixers to the table! After all, it's vacation. The people who work there are very friendly. Reservations are taken around 6pm (I believe, it might be 4pm?) for that night only, and you must talk to them in person to get a table.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:12 AM
ack

I forgot to add to Gayle - have a great time on Nantucket to celebrate your anniversary! There are so many great food choices on island that you're certain to be thrilled.

Luckily the island also has fantastic beaches, nature, bars, museums, shops, etc.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Gayle

Thanks to ACK and Nina (aka).

I did book at DeMarcos after reading your post Nina.

Now I am concerned about Chanticleer and thinking of switching it to Toppers. Anyone else had experience at Chanticleer they'd like to share?

Nina, I know you've highly recommended SummerHouse in past for dinner. Did you go there on your most recent trip?

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Lizzie

Happy Anniversary! Here's my take on your restaurant list... Keep in mind that we love to eat and live just outside NYC so are very, very spoiled.

Last year I took my fiance to the Summer House for his birthday, and we both absolutely loved the meal. It was divine. The place gets a bit noisy, we thought, but that's part of the fun. Wonderful wine list. We also went to Toppers, but for lunch, and plan on having dinner there this September. The food was delicious and fairly creative, and they have a top-notch wine list as well. I would think a jacket would be required at both places; even if it's not, your husband would certainly feel more comfortable wearing one.

Disappointed to hear negative feedback about Chanticleer... we were looking forward to eating there this year, too. Ah well--that'll save us a few bucks!

The Pearl--we were extremely disappointed. Terribly overpriced (my special dish was $50 when the regular entree prices topped out around $35; lobster stir-fry and stingy on the lobster; mediocre!) especially for the quality of the food. Seemed like a place that was trying too, too hard to be hip and NYC-style. Of course, we could have hit it on a bad night.

We weren't too excited about 21 Federal last year, either, although have enjoyed it in the past. Oh, don't think my fiance wore a jacket there.

Company of the Cauldron: we did what Nina suggested and booked at the beginning of the week after checking out the menu... Loved it! Wonderful meal. Tight quarters, though.

Love American Seasons. Creative cuisine in a fairly casual setting; terrific service.

Who mentioned Ropewalk? Last year, for some reason, we got in the habit of stopping there for a mid-afternoon drink. The food off their dinner menu is awful. Really. However, they have these little pita pizzas for lunch/snacks that are actually quite good!

One of my favorite Nantucket meals, though, is the simplest. Pick up wine, cheese, crackers, olives, and other snacks at Fahey's. Take a taxi to Madaket, watch the sunset, and relax.

Have fun!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Gayle

Thanks Lizzie, great feedback. I'm rethinking a few of the choices and decisions now.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:20 PM
aaaaaaa

Went to Toppers fr lunch & it was wonderful (expensive but great)
last year went to Ships Inn for anniversary dinner & really liked it. he prior yr went toWestEnd Grill outside of town (was very cosy & romantic)
Hard to make decisions with so many good places.
Any feedback on Le Lune doc (sp)?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Donna

We've dined at Chanticleer and were quite underwhelmed. At those prices, we did not appreciate the waiter constantly trying to "upsell" us. First, he talked us into appetizers, which were splendid for sure. Although, and I am not a portion concious sort of person, I found the serving of foie gras to be truly tiny, especially for the tariff. Then, he argued with us over our choices of main courses. He told us we'd be "happier" with this and that (and more expensive). The main courses were fine, but both of us wished we had ordered our original selections, especially as we observed them being served nearby. (Although my lobster souffle was a genuine work of culinary art, and an overly generous portion as well.) One would think this establishment would be perfect for a quiet, romantic, repast. The night we were there, there was a large function upstairs and a wedding rehearsal dinner in the room next to us. Very loud in every direction. To be honest, we couldn't wait to get out of there. We've been to the Summer House many times, and it is one of our favorite places on the planet. True, it is lively and a bit noisy. I love the "Cassablanca" ambience and the piano music. When we've finished dining (and the food is positively magnificent), we head for the porch to enjoy or coffee or an after dinner drink with the moonlight over the lapping waves on one side and the piano music audible through the open doors and windows. Another place we've enjoyed many times is Le Languedoc. The upstairs dining room is gorgeous and romantic. The cafe is charming as well. The food in both is wonderful. Toppers at the Wauwinet is probably the finest overall (with prices to match) dining experience on the island (if you don't mind the slightly country club atmosphere). While I realize that it will likely be hot and sunny during your visit, and hauling dressy attire to Nantucket is, literally, a drag, I highly recommend that your husband bring a jacket and that you bring a nice dress (along with a beautiful sweater or your "pashmina") and some dressy shoes. For one thing, the air conditioning in many places is set to frigid. The "summer folk", those who patronize the fanciest restaurants, anyway, tend to dress, I mean dress, for dinner. You'll feel more comfortable and "blend" better, and (though I hate to acknowledge this) you'll be much more nicely "received". We decide before going whether we'll haul the extra clothing and "dine", or "keep it casual" and reserve at the less formal places. I, for one, appreciate that there are still some people who believe truly fine dining is an occasion for which one presents oneself accordingly. And, it's a rather curious scene when folks appear in a truly beautiful and elegant dining room in their shorts and sneakers for very expensive dinner served by a waitstaff in very formal attire. I cannot imagine why one would not care to look their finest for enjoying a fine dining experience.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:09 AM
George

Excellent report, Donna, and cogent observations (which means I agree with you!)

Though I'm admittedly a participant, the dressing-down of America over the last few decades is a shame. There's nothing wrong with looking-good in the classical sense. Be nice to see it return.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Karen

I would definitely recommend Company of the Cauldron as well. Take a look at the menu, make sure you're happy with it, and book it. One of the best restaurant experiences for me, and I lived there for 3 years.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
Gayle

Great feedback Donna and everyone else. Thanks. I have made all our reservations and based many of our decisions, and amendments, on all of your generous recommendations. I am cancelling Chanticleer in favour of Toppers for the "big" anniversary dinner. Thanks too for the attire confirmation. Only 6 more days!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Gayle

OK, I've now changed from Chanticleer to Toppers for the big anniversary dinner. I was told to be at Straight Wharf for the trip over at 4:45, that dinner is at 6 and the ride back is at 8. WOW! This is really early. Is this really the only way to do this? Help appreciated Fodorites, as the Toppers person was neither nice nor helpful, which didn't bode well. Reassurance please!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:08 PM
nina

No, you can drive to Topper's via the Polpis Road and eat any time you like. While I haven't taken the boat launch from town I've heard it was very, very nice. They serve complimentary cocktails (champagne?) and hor d'eovres on the boat over, plus you get a great view of Nantucket town, harbor, Monomoy and Pocomo. It is early, but I think it's worth it to take the boat over. Just think of it as a bonus cruise!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Gayle

Thanks Nina. I'll keep it in mind. It just seems soooo early!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
nina

Gayle, I just remembered. The Wauwinet has a shuttle to and from the Inn to town and back. Perhaps you could take that? Call and ask (if it's not too much trouble for them). This way you could take their shuttle if they allow restaurant guests as well as hotel guests to use it.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:22 PM
Donna

Boat transportation over and back to Topper's is a "tradition" that was recently reinstated after having been discontinued for a few years. It is a little curious that the boat over is so early, since I believe the earliest dinner reservation taken is for 6PM. But, this does give you plenty of time to enjoy a cocktail, enjoy a stroll around the fabulous grounds, and stare a bit at the magnificent scenery from their lawns. With any luck, you'll enjoy a glorious sunset on the way back. The Wauwinet is SUCH a top notch operation, you'll see there's a good reason for all the timing. There's something ever so romantic about "cruising" to your dining destination. Wait until you see those pleasure boats parked in the harbor along the way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -