Celebrating New Year's Eve in Los Angeles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I (two single mom's) and our teenage daughters 15-17 will be in LA for the Holidays and would love to find a great place to celebrate New Year's eve. We are looking for something fun and suitable for both age groups. We wouldn't mind traveling outside the LA area if need be. Any suggestions.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
ssm

Unfortunately, LA is not exactly a mecca for New Year's revelers. The issue becomes a little more compounded with the ages of your daughters.

Queen Mary hosts a nice event but even there I believe you have to be at least 18. Universal City Walk and Old Town Pasadena are possible places to "hang out". Of course, there are the theme parks like Disneyland and Magic Mountain which will have New Years Eve events.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Disneyland is a madhouse on NY eve. We did it one year and it was shoulder to shoulder. Never again.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't think of anywhere that might meet your needs (though some others who have teenagers migh be able to come up w/ something)

The theme parks will be total zoos and the hotel parties will be adults only.

Maybe just plan on a special dinner and not a NYE "event"
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 06:57 AM
lvk

Isn't this sad? I was racking my brain for family friendly suggestions too. Queen Mary was my first thought. Too bad it is 18 and up. I can't believe that no Southern California cities have a "First Night" celebration. Hermosa Beach tried for a few years, but I guess people couldn't deal with the "alcohol-free" requirement.

Pasadena will also be crowded with Rose Bowl revelers, and people sleeping on the street, marking their viewing spot for the Tournament of Roses Parade. BTW, if you don't happen to catch the parade, you can see the floats up close. www.tournamentofroses.com.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, we're going to do what we did last year, which was a resounding success with me, my husband, my now 17 year old son and his 17 year old best friend: we went to the Whisky A Go Go on Sunset Strip to ring in the new year with a variety of bands, including the band known as "Wild Child", a Jim Morrison/Doors Tribute band. They will be appearing this New Year's Eve as well. Last year it was well attended by the 60's generation AND their kids, so the age range ran from about 14 to 65 and a great time was had by all. The neat thing is, starting this Weds., there will be a year long celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Doors first appearance at the Whisky. On hand (this Weds. that is) will be the three remaining band members along with many people in the industry joining in the festivities. And I can assure you, the 15-17 year olds all know who Jim Morrison and the Doors are.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM

So. Cal DOES have a few First Nights (family celebrations without liquor) with music held outside. I just did a brief google search and found some info on one in Fullerton (Orange County).
Fullerton has some fun places to see.
I think there may be some in the South Bay also. http://www.kiromark.com/fullerton/to...fullerton.html