New Years Eve in L.A. ??

Search

New Years Eve in L.A. ??

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years Eve in L.A. ??

We find ourselves in L.A. for New Years eve this year , any locals have suggestions for something or somewhere fun for an Aussie family of 5 ?
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:55 AM

If you've never been to L.A. during New Years, how about camping out in Pasadena to watch the Rose Parade??
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Getty is open for dinner on Saturday evenings, and would be a great place to dine either Fri or Sat for a visiting family. www.getty.edu

Fireworks at Santa Monica beach maybe?
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to say this, being from L.A., but we have to have the most boring, sleepiest, piss-poor celebration of NY Eve for a City with this many people in it. I mean, really, it's a disgrace. Did anyone watch the "spectacle" for the millenium in L.A.? I thought not. It consisted of looking at the Hollywood Sign change colors. That's it. We could have gone that year to London to see the Thames on Fire, or the fireworks in Paris, or, really, anywhere other than L.A. on a New Years Eve. I just get inflamed that our City does NOTHING. Not a firework, nothing.

Having gotten that off my chest (!), if you're here for a visit, I wouldn't want to tell you to camp out in Pasadena. It's too cold, and you probably won't be dragging sleeping bags and blankets from Australia. I would, however, if you want to see the parade (it's really fun and MUCH better in person), book a hotel on the parade route NOW (yesterday is even better!), then you can walk around Colorado Blvd. NY Eve and join the zillions of people out there, go back in to sleep, then up and out to watch the parade the next day.

Alternatively, Disneyland in Anaheim is celebrating its 50 year anniversary, and its New Years Eves are definitely fun, with great fireworks, and it should be particularly good this anniversary year.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Surfergirl, the thought of camping out does nothing for us ! In regard to Disneyland won't new years eve be BUSY !!! ie too many people, we actually planned to go there on the 28th to avoid some of the crowd. Am I wrong ?
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:20 PM
ssm

I have to agree about NOT camping out. It was great when I was in high school but could not see myself doing that now. I have reserved hotels along Colorado and have to say that it was pretty fun.

Disneyland is a great idea. Yes it will be crowded but any place worth going to on New Years Eve will be. When you go on the 28th you will also find a crowd.

Another thought is the Queen Mary in Long Beach. They put on quite a nice fireworks show.
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:37 PM
lvk

I agree with Surfergirl! That millenium celebration was pathetic. Jay Leno said it best, something like "A couple of guys went to Home Depot, bought some colored spotlights and shone them on the Hollywood sign". We were in Europe at the time, and watched the "lowlights" on TV the next day. (Even the fireworks & festivities in the little Bavarian village where we were staying put L.A. to shame.)

We have also rented an RV and camped in Pasadena the night before the Rose Parade. We thought it would be a fun, festive atmosphere. It wasn't. I wouldn't recommend it.

One year, instead of the parade, we went to the park where they hold the floats for viewing the next day. We actually enjoyed that more than the parade, since you could get up close to the floats. I understand that this is getting a bit crazy, too.

You are right in your assumption that Disneyland will be crowded. Stick with 28th. In fact, most organized events will be overcrowded and overpriced on New Years' Eve.

Gosh, I'm not being much help here . We usually leave town to ski somewhere every New Year's week.

One place that was (surprisingly) not too crowded was the Palm Springs area. You might check what activities they have going on there on this year.

Good Luck!
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:52 PM

We did Disneyland one year for New Year's -- got there at about 6 pm. It was indeed crowded, but at least for the first couple of hours we could get to some rides. About an hour before midnight people began massing all around the castle to be in a good spot for fireworks viewing -- we had to grab a spot and pretty much stay there for that whole time. By the time midnight hit, we were packed in, couldn't move -- I will say, though, that the fireworks were amazing and thrilling. I am a die-hard Disney addict, but it was a toss-up as to whether being in the park that night was really worth it. I figured it was like being in Times Square on New Years Eve -- you should do it once in your life, but its a bit of an endurance contest.

I hope you have a good trip -- !
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:18 PM

I am another die hard Disney fan and I say do NOTNOTNOT go on New Year's eve. It is miserably crowded. Go on the 28th. The new 50th fireworks show is absolutely not to be missed.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

I love this site...thanks very much !
great advice from all !
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

More specifically (and closer to the event) whats on around Sunset Blvd ? Any websites I should check ?
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:27 PM
LTR

FYI.....I know you have already voted against the Rose Parade in Pasadena, but in case anyone else is following this thread, it is not held on January 1 this year. Anytime New Years Day lands on a Sunday, the Parade is postponed until Monday, January 2. The Game will be played on Wednesday January 4.

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:16 PM

How about Big Bad Voodoo Daddy at the Disney Concert Hall?

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Some communities in the Los Angeles area have free "First Night" celebrations. Here's a link to one in Hermosa Beach--a lovely area-- where they will celebrate with music on the pier--but without much specific information as yet. I would check back periodically. The town of Fullerton in Orange County (some lovely areas there)
has been doing a "First Night" since 1990. These are designed for families without alcohol. Here's a description of the one from 2004: http://www.kiromark.com/fullerton/to...fullerton.html
http://www.hermosawave.net/
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 11:29 AM

If you are thinking of Sunset Strip, nothing, nada, although after the Halloween festivities on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood, you'd think another WH celebration should start soon (the Halloween thing only started around 1980 and now it's huge).
We're actually going to be on Sunset Strip for New Years at the Whiskey, assuming they let under 18's in on that evening (it converted to "all age" about 10 years ago).
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Hi Surfergirl ! What is the Whiskey? and what happens there ? We have 2 x 13 year old and 1 x 15 year old !
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Marko, unless the 2 13 year olds and 1 15 year old have reached that "I wanna be a rock star" age, it won't be for you. It's a famous small rock club and it's a Jim Morrison tribute band playing that night (the Doors played there before they got "big"). My son and his friend are both 16, and the teens that aren't into rap or hip hop are into retro or classic rock, and the Doors are hugely popular with that set right now.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:57 PM

This year at the Orange County Fairgrounds there will be a New Year's Eve event which is being billed as the West Coast's version of the annual celebration held in New York City's Time Square. Since this is the first year it is being held I can't provide a review. You can get more information at www.ocnye.com. Check it out. My husband and I decided to give it a try.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Anything new and interesting we should look at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -