Search

Cat on plane

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
msb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat on plane

Have you ever flown with a cat? I am planning to take my 2 year old cat with me in the cabin on a flight from Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. Do you tranquilize your cat or not? Any comments/input is appreciated.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I've never done this (I have a dog) but I've seen many people do it. Looks easy enough as long as your cat is not hyperactive.

Then again, I've never seen hyperactive cats...
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have never done this either, but for the comfort of the cat, I would guess that tranquilizing it will make it easier on him/her and you. My cat gets nervous in the car. I would think she would be best sleeping through the unknown experience. Ask your vet.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Our daughter just did this. There are restrictions. You need to call the airline.
For USAir, there is a limit to how many they allow per plane. You need an approved carrier that will fit under your seat. You also have to pay a surcharge (it's like "excess baggage").
Our cat did not need tranquilizing. Try feeding it Fritos cornchips. (ours loved it). They also require some Vet info.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
msb
Original Poster

I just called the airline (Spirit) and they told me what kind of carrier is needed. They did not say anything about vet papers. Do you know what is required? I will talk to my vet and I'm thinking I will get a pill to bring with me in case the cat starts meowing loudly!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Corn chips???
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM

Call your vet and get his/her recommendation regarding tranks. Some animals are pre-disposed to problems with them, so they may or may not be appropriate for your cat.

Is you cat anxiety prone or a big lap cat? How does it handle rides in the car? New experiences? Unfamiliar people? Think over those things and you'll have an idea of how well your cat will do. And if it meows.....well, hope you're sitting by someone like me who loves cats!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 08:51 AM

A long time ago, with a kitten from LA to NYC. She slept most of the time, without the aid of drugs lol. You know your cat, is it a cranky cat? hates to be in the carrying case? Mine just curled up and slept.
I have never heard anything good about tranquilizing cats though, so a Vet would be the best person to ask.
Good luck~
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 09:17 AM
msb
Original Poster

I agree, I would rather not tranquilize her if I don't have to. She is pretty good in the car but can be skittish in new environments. She does like to burrow under blankets so I think I will put her in the carrier with her fluffy blankie and hopefully she will sleep through it. Thanks for all your suggestions/comments.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Make sure she's used to the carrier. I often leave mine out for days at a time prior to any vet visits or other events.
She then sleeps in it voluntarily from time to time, emerges when she likes.
That way she doesn't associate it only with negative experiences and doesn't object to being in it for a long period of time.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Bringing a tranquilizing pill will be worthless. It will probably take affect as you are landing. Either you use it and give it ahead of time or do without.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As others are mentioning, what is the usual personality of the cat? A mellow couch potato or a high strung curtain climber? How does it deal with house guests, car trips, vet visits? That should give you a clue.

I agree a pill in your hand will be of no use. You need to get it inTO the cat 1-2 hours ahead of the flight, if you choose to use it.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Make sure your cat is comfy in the carrier and does not asociate it just with un pleasant things - lke visits to the vet. (I would leave my carriers on the vbedroon floor and the cats would nap in them - so they weren't so stressed out when I took them on a car trip.

Ask you vet about a tranquilizer - but you know best how calm/nervous your cat is. Also - some get motion sickness remedy unless you know your cat doesn;t get airsick - ask you vet what to do in case this happens (one of mine used to pant and drool if I drove more than 40).

Most important - reserve in advance - and get approval in writing - since they usually allow only one animal per cabin.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Ask about sedatives as well (tranks and sedatives are NOT the same thing). If you decide to go with drugs, try them at home at least two weeks before the trip to check if the dosage is correct, how your cat reacts to the drug (and how well you can get the cat to take it) and if there are any adverse effects.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM

The terms tranquilizers and sedatives are both used in this case since neither is really a specific scientific term. The drug that is commonly used orally is acepromazine, a phenothiazine. Orally, it has a variable duration to effect, duration of effect, and effect. You never know how an individual will respond to it even if you have tried a test administration (although I would still recommend that) There are all sorts of drugs you can use to sedate a cat but most would have to be given via other routes and many are controlled substances.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM

We considered traveling via plane with out cat several years ago when we thought we were moving. I talked to my vet and he highly advised me against giving the cat any kind of sedative. This is probably something you should discuss with your vet.

Tracy
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 12:15 PM
JJ5

Wow! No wonder I look like I've been punched in the eyes after some flights. You do know that a lot of people have extremely strong cat dander allergy- almost as bad as peanuts. Seems we don't have anyway to get away from it either.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I once sat next to a woman whose perfume kept me sneezing and wheezing for 4 straight hours - I think just about everyone is allergic to something!
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM

The reasons not to use tranquilizers/sedatives on a reasonably calm cat is the possibility for respiratory and cardiac problems. You will need a recent (within 10 days of your flight)
health certificate and most likely proof of vaccination(s). I think the blanket idea is great. You may also want to consider lining the carrier
with the puppy training pads used for housebreaking-they are made of material similar to disposable diapers. I have also used cedar shavings for this purpose-contained in a flatenned open baggie-easy to dipsose of,easy on the nose(s) and easy to carry a spare. Talk to your vet as you intend.
R5
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Just so people aren't freaked out over this sedation question - sedatives/tranquilizers can be very useful in some situations. Stress can be just as dangerous to an animal as drugs can be. If I know that my animal is going to freak out, pant, pace, vocalize etc. I would probably choose to sedate him. If I think that he probably going to be fine then, no, I wouldn't risk it. You should be cautious about sedating an animal if it is older or has compromised liver or kidney function. I also wouldn't sedate a persian or other flat-faced cat. Acepromazine is actually a relatively safe drug on the cardiac and respiratory system. But, of course, the dispensing of drugs would occur after discussing it with a vet who would know all these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -