Reload this Page >

Carmines in NYC - Not a Tourist Trap?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:04 PM
joe

On our last visit to New York, we passed by the Carmines near Times Square, and it looked like one of those big tourist trap types of places, but many on this forum have said the opposite. Those of you who live in NYC, is the food actually good? I don't expect fine cuisine there, but I'd like the family not to be disappointed with quantity but not quality. Please advise.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Statia

Joe:

I do not live in NYC, but visit often and went to Carmine's just last week after reading so much about it on this board. I did not feel that it was a tourist trap, and it actually seemed that there were more NYer's in there than tourists.

It wasn't all that expensive (other than the nice bottle of wine my husband ordered). If I remember correctly, most entrees run approximately $20 (give or take). However, you must remember that these entrees can feed well over two people (more like 4 in my opinion).

My husband is a big eater and we split both an appetizer and an entree and left about half the food behind (which was a shame). We found the food to be very good and we were really pleased with our experience there. So much so, that I plan to go back when I'm in town in June.

Go and give it a try and have fun in NY!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:11 AM
RQF

It is not a tourist trap. They use too much garlic to suit me and it is too noisy for my tastes. The food is good and it is not overpriced and most find it a fun dining experience. There is a branch on the upper west side that is always as crowded as the one on W. 44th and the people waiting in line for a table are mostly locals. Your family is not likely to be disappointed. Keep in mind it is Family style service and one main course will easily feed two and even three if the people are light eaters

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 03:24 AM
joe

Thanks for the information. We'll be staying at 56th & 7th - where is the west side location, and are they particuarly stronger with some dishes than others - i.e. pastas, veals, etc.?

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:33 AM
been there done that

Great place, food was to die for, not touristy at all. A single entree could feed an army. Upscale and friendly atmosphere. Wonderful Cosmopolitans. A lot of people from the theater were there after the shows for dinner/drinks. Try and get a ressie.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:46 AM
lisa

I live in NYC and I eat at Carmine's occasionally (we usually prefer Tony's di Napoli on the Upper East Side because it's closer and easier to get in to). I don't think it's a tourist trap. It's a lot of fun with a big group, the food is good, and the prices are on the high side of reasonable. I think they have GREAT calamari. I have to agree that they use a lot of garlic -- you will sweat it out of your pores the next day.

Joe -- the Upper West Side location is in the 90's. If you're staying at 56th & 7th, you're better off with the Times Square location. If you have enough people, try to make a reservation (in advance). I think they only take them for parties of 6 or more. Otherwise, you will have a wait. If you plan to be on the Upper East Side, you might try Tony's. Same concept, plus outdoor seating.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:20 AM
ugh

Carmine's is what my family and I refer to as a "giant trough." They give you ridiculously big portions for a reasonable price, BUT to us it's nauseating watching people shove large quanities of food into their mouths. I'd much rather have a smaller portion for an even lower price. In my opinion, the food's okay. It's not bad. It's not good. It's just okay.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Frank

We've been to both Carmine's and Tony's Di Napoli and we think the food is far superior at Tony's. The garlic at Carmine's is letal, an I like garlic! Having said that, I guess for convenience sake, the Carmine's in Times Square is your best bet.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Frank

That was "lethal", but you get the message.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:11 AM
xx

The midtown location for Carmine's is on W.44th St, about 100 feet west of Broadway. It is a less than a 15 minute walk from 56th and 7th.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:32 AM
ryan

While not the best Italian around, Il Mulino holds that distinction in NY, Carmine's is good for what it is, a family style Italian that is convienient to Times Square.

I've found the best way to enjoy it is with a group. (I used to go with colleagues a few times a year when I worked nearby.)

For a small group, Lattanzi on Restaurant Row (46th st.) is a quite a bit better than Carmine's. However, it is also more expensive.