Search

Car rental question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental question

I am looking at the Dollar car rental site at car hire for possible dates next April. I am trying different pick-up locations with LAS as the drop-off location. All other parameters are unchanged.

I thought LAS would be the cheapest pick-up location because there would be no one-way drop-off fee. However, LAX is much cheaper (still with a LAS drop-off) because there are fewer elements listed in additional charges an no drop-off fee either:

LAS pick-up and drop-off
FACILITY CHARGE - $48.00
VEHICLE LICENSE FEE - $14.38
APT ACCESS REC FEE - $31.15
STATE TAX - $30.27
Rental Tax - $31.25

LAX pick-up, LAS drop-off
STATE TAX - $24.80

Can anyone explain the reason for this and whether there are any "rules" to help determine what options work out cheaper? Eg will a California pick-up generally mean fewer charges? PHX seems to be a lot more expensive (with even more and much higher charger) but I had already heard that it was expensive to rent cars from here.

Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I am travelling from the UK, have rented cars in the US on a number of times but have never noticed such varying fees before now. Previously my travel plans had been more fixed with little or no option over the car pick-up/drop-off locations
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:36 AM

Can't speak specifically to your question, but factor the rates at www.hotwire.com into your plans. We've used the site for several rentals without any problems.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:50 AM

recently rented at LAX (from Avis) and there was a 10% fee added at the end that was not mentioned on the reservation quote.

Perhaps Nevada has a law stating that all charges must be stated up front and California doesn't?

At any rate, LAX is one of the few airports that still has what I consider to be fair and reasonable add-on taxes and fees. Some cities are abominably high...Manchester NY, Providence, Phoenix....can go as high as 40% to even 60% add ons!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. With airfare and car hire being a big chunk of the overall cost, I am looking at making sure these costs stay reasonable. It sounds like LAX may be a good option because of better car-hire costs and there are quite a few airlines that offer non-stop flights from London and the fares are pretty competetive.

I don't want to fly home from LAX so we avoid backtracking but that shouldn't cause too much problem unless I get stuck with a big one-way drop-off fee.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 10:33 PM

for LAX, picking up a car will be about a 1 hour wait - maybe more - in the pickup line. We got bussed there from the terminal in July and it took an hour and 20 minutes to get the car.
I was told Budget - Dollar - Enterprise - are all the same - long waits in line.

Dropping off took precisely 5 minutes (different line).

Not sure about LAS, I only know about LAX.

Plan accordingly.