Commute from downtown LA to LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What time should I leave downtown LA THIS FRIDAY morning if I need to be at LAX by the following times?
6am - Leave by ?am
7am - Leave by ?am
9am - Leave by ?am
There are several flights to choose from and I am not sure which I will be able to take...
Thanks for the help!!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:04 AM

Traffic shouldn't be too bad going in the direction of LAX, but I will leave it to others to give you more exact times as I ususally don't stay downtown, I just work there when visiting. But I did want to add that if you have not been to LAX since 9/11, be very clear on the amount of time you need to get through security. One Sunday morning at 6:30 a.m. last year, it took me an hour and 45 min. to just get through the security line (aisde from time to get my eticket done)- the security line started as a LONG line outside, snaked inside up a non-moving escalator, and another long line upstairs. It's been like that the last several times I've come back to the east coast on early a.m. flights.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Tx: Just to be clear-- you have a car? Then you have to factor in rental return as well.

The route is easy (I-110 south to I-105 west-- takes you right into LAX) and shouldn't take more than 45 minutes. But rental return could add upwards of 30 minutes, and as emd1 notes, security lines at LAX can be long (and that's why I fly out of Long Beach exclusively nowadays-- that and it's four miles away from my condo).

If you're cabbing it, give yourself 45 minutes for the ride. And if you're going with SuperShuttle, they'll tell you what time they'll need to pick you up, so it's moot.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

On the topic of LAX, I was wondering how early a person would need to leave Dodger Stadium during a Saturday night game in September for a 1:00 a.m. flight and time to return the rental car?

I was hoping to see the entire game but you never know how that will go. If I leave the stadium by 10:00 p.m. will that allow a reasonable amount of time? I just wondered how busy the airport usually was for those redeye flights.

Thanks! And sorry for hijacking the thread, but it seemed a similar enough kind of question to add in.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM

Leaving Dodger Stadium by 10 PM for a 1 AM flight should be fine. Traffic will have lessened considerably (although there will still be a lot of cars on the road), and the 45-minute estimate in the car still stands. I'd say that as long as you're at LAX rental return by 11:20, you should be just fine (shorter security lines at that hour will help).
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM

BTW- rent cars are such a hassle at LAX due to extra time for the shuttles on top of having to get to the airport so early for security, that I stopped renting cars at LAX altogether a few yrs ago. Now I cab to the hotel and get a rent car through either a location near or at the hotel so I don't have to return it at LAX when I leave, then I just cab to the aiport. It's the only city I do that in, but I just can't stand tacking on the extra time and angst of returning it and trying to make the flight.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Hey there... been through LAX more than 20 times since 9/11 but I always stay the weekend so I have no experience with this particular drive, not to mention that I generally do not stay in downtown.
rjb... I have calculated the time to include car rental
I wish I had booked LGB but I wanted to fly the 777 out of LAX. As it turns out, I will be out early so I am screwed on the airport, arghhhh....
~Laura