Quickest Car Rental at LAX

Jan 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Quickest Car Rental at LAX

Hi all,
We have about 5 hours between flights this coming March and would like to see a couple of different sights: La Brea Tar Pits and The Getty. I've considered a taxi, which would be the most convenient, but it would be about three times the cost of a rental car.

The big drawback to a rental car is the time to rent it (bus ride to and from LAX). Any suggestions for a FAST car rental? Or is a taxi the best way to go???

Many Thanks!!

keith
Jan 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Sorry - but you ain't going to see the Tar pits and the Getty w/ just 5 hours between flights. Oh, sure you be able to GET there - but you will not be back to LAX in time to clear security for your on-going flight.

No car rental place will have you out the door less than 45 minutes to an hour after landing.
Jan 5th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Let's look at simple logistics. It is ten miles from LAX to the Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits. It is then eleven miles to the Getty Center. Then twelve miles back to LAX.

Hmm... Funny how that works out!

But that's a LOT of driving. In LA traffic. You won't see squat at either place.

I wouldn't risk it, knowing the security lines at LAX.
Jan 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Well, thanks for setting me straight about driving in LA. Would it be reasonable to just see the tar pits using a taxi??

keith
Jan 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Reasonable - maybe not. But do-able, sure, especially since your luggage will already be checked and it will just be a matter of getting through security.

Some things to consider: What day of the week will it be? What time of day? Which airline are you using? (Southwest is a bear and it is terminal 1. Other airlines are not nearly as crowded.) I'd say give yourself an hour to get back through security. (Maybe 1-1/2hour to be safe.)

If you do decide to do this, spend the extra and taxi. L.A. is not a place to try to navigate if you are not used to it. However, be sure you will have a taxi waiting to take you back to the airport. I'm not sure how easy they are to flag down in that area.
Jan 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM

the tar pits aren't worth renting a car to see for that short amt of time, so if you're truly dying to see them, take a taxi. LACMA is right there, too. i just can't imagine them being "that" worth the big hassle (we live <1 mile from them). it's cool, yeah, but not much to see, and basically just an open park.

i would go to the getty instead.

L
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Over the past 20 years I've probably spent a total of 8 months or so in LA. I've seen just about every tourist attraction worth seeing and many that weren't. I have yet to see the Tar Pits. I have yet to hear from anyone who says it is worth my time to go. They still aren't on my list. I'm curious why they are on yours?

I'd just work on the Getty.

The worst problems I've had with renting a car at LAX was waiting for the right agency bus. My suggestion would be to splurge and take a taxi which you can get right away to take you to the car agency. They is likely to speed you by up to a half hour. And don't even think of renting a car without getting that agency's "club" card for quick pick up first. I bet we waited in line two hours at Alamo once. Now we use Dollar and their "fast lane" club and we're on our way in minutes of arrival at the rental place.

Search this Thread