Captiva/Tween Waters Inn

Search

Captiva/Tween Waters Inn

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captiva/Tween Waters Inn

Hi. Coming to Sanibel/Captiva area Memorial Day Weekend. I thought Sanibel but now considering Tween Waters Inn. Please tell me everything there is to know. Including how it is since Charley. Back in Business. I've never been to the area so I won't know what I was missing just what it's like now.
How is the swimming at the beach at the Tween? Warm water? Clean Beach? Safe? Coming with husband and 7 year old son. My baby has autism so he needs supervision but he LOVES the beach and pool. Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 06:33 PM
bamakelly

Hi again! I LOVE Tween Waters! My husband and I have stayed there a couple of times. I have never been to the pool becuase we are big beach people. We stayed in a Waterview efficiency both times and enjoyed it. There are also cottages and (I think) bayside accommodations. It's not the Ritz but it was very clean, and it had everything we needed, and all of the buildings are a very short walk from each other (restaurants, etc).

The BEST part about Tween Waters is the beach. It is, in my opinion, the prettiest beach on Sanibel or Captiva. The wooden lounge chairs make you feel relaxed just looking at them. The beach is not too wide and not too narrow, a perfect size. I am not sure about the shells there; I would think it is significantly less than other beaches just from where it is located. The only downside I can think of is that you do have to cross the street to get to the beach. This was not a problem for us, but considering your son's autism could be a potential problem...? The street is the only main street on the island, so it is heavily traveled, but people ususally stop to let you walk across, that is if you don't just happen to find a good break in traffic anyway.

DEFINITELY safe, as is the whole island.

Water temp should be fine by then.

I am assuming you have visited their website. I think it's very accurate as far as pictures and descriptions.

I recommend this place for you. It's also convenient (very short drive)to other places on Captiva that will be fun for you and your family.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Yes I looked at the site and also I was sent a brochure which looks so beautiful. I don't think the street would be a problem. He's so good about listening to us and he stays close by at all times. I like the idea that the beach would not be shell ridden which is why I suddenly decided this might be the better place. I did hear though that the water may be a little rough. Is that so? The pool at this place looks very nice too. I also love the beach but my little one needs a bit of variety. Also, when my husband golfs in the am I feel safer at the pool with him. Have you heard anything since the hurricane. Do you think the inn is back to normal? Also, what is the driving distance from the airport? We are arriving at about 7pm. We are also leaving at 7pm too. Do you think that a late check out would be a problem there?
Thanks for your post.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:50 AM

I was on Captiva in late November. The ‘Tween Waters was open and only appeared to have a little damage which they were repairing. As you have never been there, you will not notice the main thing, which is that virtually every tree on the island over 5 feet tall is gone. They have a very good restaurant, I have not stayed there. The beach is very pretty. I would say the surf there is a bit rougher because they get more wind; but I have not actually gone swimming there so can’t say for sure. Water is shallow for a long way out on most parts of the island. All the beaches are clean, water looks clean, don’t know the actual bacterial count...probably is a website with that info.

To reach Captiva you have to drive all the way through Sanibel and it is a LONG drive, and adding time to get from Ft Myers airport to the hotel, I think you are talking about 1.5 hours with no traffic. Traffic can be quite bad on the island and on the main access road on the mainland to the airport (Route 41 if memory serves). I would allow at least 2 hours to get to the airport for your on your departing flight. Other may have more specific information.

Not sure where your husband wants to golf, as I believe the nearest golf is at South Seas Plantation, but I think the resort is closed until next year as they had significant damage. You might want to look into this, as my info may be wrong. The only other course I know is a private one on Sanibel (but some hotels have playing privileges), but it would be a longish drive down to the course.

Your best source of info on late check-out is the hotel itself. If they can’t let you stay in the room, most places have show and changing facilities available and will hold your luggage.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Really? That long of a ride. I was thinking an hour from Ft Myers airport. But I guess that was to a Sanibel resort. So basically the island itself would take an hour to get from one end to the other. The golf course I was thinking of was the Dunes I believe. He'd only golf once. Are the trees really only 5 ft now. Wow that is very sad. I'm 5 ft tall. lol Thanks for your info... Keep it coming please
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:18 AM

The Dunes is the one I was referring to, it is down on Sanibel, not to far from the causeway road, it is a pretty good course. I would not want to drive down there every day from Captiva, but if he only plays once or so, then it is not too bad. You could also go with and see the lighthouse and that end of the island, it is also a nice part of the island for biking.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I spoke to the hotel and yes they said it's about 20 minutes to the Dunes golf course. he'll be okay with that. I think I'm loving this resort. I was only able to get a Bayview Suite which i hope is very nice. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:42 AM
bamakelly

I'd say the 1.5 hour drive is a little overestimated if no traffic, but with traffic it could very well be that long. The distance is not terribly far; it's the traffic that makes it slow. The worst island traffic (as well as Ft Myers traffic) is usually late afternoon--like between 3 and 6 pm. Your most direct route to and from the airport takes you from Six Mile Cypress/Daniels Dr to Summerlin Road all the way into Sanibel. You do have to drive all the way through Sanibel to get to Captiva, which adds probably another 30-40 minutes, but it is a very pretty drive, like driving through the jungle. It's probably less than 10-12 miles, but on a 2 lane road, so traffic is the issue.

The water at Tween waters may be a little rough; it is pretty wavy there. I don't think they are particularly high or rough waves, but then again I grew up in much choppier water in the Florida panhandle. This is really personal preference so it's hard to say whether it will be too much for your son or not. Since you'll be spending more of your time at the pool, maybe if the water at the Tween Waters is too rough, on the times that you want to go to the beach you could visit another beach on the islands (Bowmans Beach or Blind Pass--both public and easy parking and access).

Not sure about late checkout; that really just depends on how busy they are that weekend. There's certainly plenty to do on the islands to pass the time before you leave. Maybe that would be a good day to check out of the hotel, visit the shell museum, and then head back to the airport, stopping for dinner in Ft Myers on the way in.

There are a gazillion golf courses in the Ft Myers area but your husband will have to drive in. The Dunes on Sanibel will be nice. If he wants an even better course, he could call Gulf Harbour, which is just a mile or two from the Sanibel bridge into Fort Myers. I am not sure if they are still open to the public or what their rates are, but it's a breathtaking course.

I am not sure about since the hurricane, but I think I've seen other posts on Tween Waters in the past couple of months that said Tween Waters was fine. Maybe Tandoori Girl will chime in here. I know she likes Tween Waters too.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:43 AM
bamakelly

The bay is pretty there. You'll be close to the marina. The beach is prettier, of course, but the bay side is very calm and peaceful.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Please, the more info i have the better. Thank you very much. DOn't know what I'd do without these forums.
Janine
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Tween Waters is really wonderful. I like their pool alot, your son will be very happy. There's a great kayak trip through the nearby mangrove island that I think he'd enjoy too (kayaking is very easy as long as it's a calm day). Captiva is so small, you will find whatever you need by asking any of the helpful folks.

The hurricane residual damage will be obvious but will not in any way interfere with your trip. You will see palm trees that have snapped at the base, shrubs that look a little naked, and very likely a few signs that are now no more than sign posts. While resorts immediately replace roofs and other building necessities, it takes quite a while for vegetation to grow back and it will be on your trips (only a few blocks) from Sanibel to Captiva, and from Tween Waters into the Captiva "downtown" (that's a joke, haha) that you will notice this. There will be a decided bend to the remaining vegetation caused by the hurricane. But the draw at Tween Waters is the terrific beach across the 2-lane road. And it wasn't vegetated anyhow. I'd love to be at Tween Waters now. I think you'll be fine.