Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Treasure Island, Florida - please review these hotels!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are getting away for a long weekend in May - flying into Tampa. This is a budget getaway, so I'm looking for an inexpensive, small place on the beach. My criteria is clean rooms and pool. I've narrowed down my choices to a few places and, hopefully, someone can add their comments. I'm open to suggestions that aren't on my list. I'm leaning toward Arvilla and Page Terrace because of the great reviews they received on TripAdvisor.
Thank you!

-Arvilla
-Page Terrace
-Blue Water Cottages
-Satellite Motel
-Shifting Sands Cottages
-Suncoast Motel

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:06 AM

I'm vaguely familiar with these. Some more in passing by rather than taking a good look at them. The Blue Water Cottages is not in the same location as the others. It is on the far end of Sunset Beach so you would not be able to walk to any of the restaurants or shops. Some friends stayed there awhile back and said, yes, it was clean. As for the others, I've checked out the rooms at Shifting Sands. This is a funky place, the pool seemed small, and it is crammed onto its location. Personally, I like the pool at the Trails End. The Jefferson seems to be popular. I've noticed the Page Terrace in trips past and thought it looked appealing. Another fodors poster likes the Island Inn Resort which is a little further south where the beach is not so wide. It is a condo-hotel, don't know if it has a pool.

Sorry I can't offer any help such as reviews. I always used to stay at the Surf (torn down) and the Trails End but have a little house in Sunset beach now. The other property I recommend is the Best Western Sea Castle, gulf-side (they also have bayside). And the Thunderbird. But they are likely more expensive.

I love TI. Great beachy atmosphere. Pretty wide beach. Hope this is helpful.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:24 AM
cd

It is I who likes the Island Inn Resort (beachfront) They have some units in the back that do not face the beach. The efficiences and 1,2,3 bedroom units are really nice with balconies and fully equiped kitchens. They do have a pool. We also admired the Jefferson but have never seen the rooms.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM

My favorite place to stay on Treasure Island:

www.beachsidepalms.com

There's no pool, however, but who needs one with the beautiful Gulf of Mexico just steps away from hammocks and lounge chairs?
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tandoori Girl, I've crossed Blue Water and Shifting Sands off my list.

CD: Island Inn looks very nice, but I'm looking for something a little less expensive.

Gekko: Beachside Palms looks perfect.....almost. My husband wants a pool!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

CD: I went back and checked out the Island Inn website again, and actually, they're affordable. I must have been thinking about something else! Thanks for the recommendation.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Topping for plmrod....
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 02:36 PM

thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM

The Blue Water Cottages are being renovated and I think they are turning condo. And I think Shifting Sands may have been leveled and is now a collection of condos. The Arvilla is still there, and the Page Terrace. Don't know about the Satellite and the Suncoast.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I've stayed at the Thunderbird and Bilmar and would recommend those. We are going to stay at the Island Inn Beach resort this month. The prices come down in May and the water and air are getting so warm.