Reload this Page >

Captiva Island? Tween waters inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:34 AM
christine

I am considering taking a trip to Florida in late February and heard that the Tween waters Inn is nice. We have two children under three so will be spending a lot of time at the resort and particularly in our hotel room. Therefore, it really matters that the resort is nice and well-run. I am wondering if anyone has been to this hotel recently and thinks it would be a good spot for us. If not, any suggestions for 5 day vacations to escape the frigid New England weather? Thanks

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:08 AM
linda

I was in Sanibel a few monthes ago and was undecided between Tween Waters and Song of the Sea in Sanibel which I went with. I did go to see Tween Waters and was glad I did not choose, especially with kids. The resort is across the street from beach and it is on the main road. I would recommend that you choose something beachfront maybe South Seas Plantation or someplace on Sanibel. It is just as pretty and relaxing.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Tom

If you go to Captiva be sure you go to "THE MUCKY DUCK" and ask for a window seat. Neat place and okey for kids. Lunch or supper.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Logan

Try these two websites:

www.sanibel-captiva.org
www.south-seas-resort.com

I use to live in FL and would take day trips to Sanibel and Captiva with friends. South Seas is very nice and has day cruises that leave from there. We took one to a secluded island for the day. It was a lot of fun. We also spent a long weekend and stayed in an A-Frame house. I can not remember the name of the resort. It was small with a nice pool. I am sure you can find it on the website. Good Luck

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM
LilMsFoodie

I think Tween Waters is just lovely. It is sort of funky in a 60's way and crossing the road is nothing to go to the beach. We are talking about a two lane road and pedestrians definitely rule alone this strip. We all know who pays the bills!

The food at South Seas needs a kick in the rear and the condos are being redone but many are in need of the update. At Tween Waters you are not paying for many amenties that you may not need or use. The beaches on Captiva are better for the most part that Sanibel.

Great brunch at Tween Waters at Captiva Inn. The feedbag at Chadwicks is a sorry site at this point. I hope they can update it and make it better soon. It makes me sad to think about it these days. I love Captiva.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Patrick

Sounds like Useppa Island, Logan.
Fun day trip. Also a boat to Cabbage Key is great.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:21 PM
linda

I wouldn't vote for Tween Waters if I had children. The poster was right in that you are not paying for amenities. There just aren't that many. Rooms are OK but very, very 60s. If was going to be spending time in a resort, I'd choose one of the condo/suites on the beach with a better pool.

Food was not great either.

Keep searching.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:28 PM
ken

If I were you I would go to southseas on captiva. Check out vrbo.com and see if you can rent an apt from someone. It will be cheaper. You won't get to use the resort amenities but it did not matter to us. you will be on the beach.

Ken

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:53 AM
sonia

Unless you HAVE to be on Captiva, widen your list of possiblities to include Sanibel too. Tween Waters is fine to visit, but as someone said earlier you have to cross the road to get to the beach -- and when you are there, I seem to recall that the beach shelves steeply, you'd have to keep a close eye on little ones.

We have been escaping from New England winters to vacation on Sanibel every February since our kids were small. Now our 3-yr old grandson loves it too. We stay at Casa Ybel in a beachfront condo, very comfortable and nicely furnished. Beach is fabulous and toddler-friendly. There is a fullsize pool and a kid's pool for toddlers, plus tennis courts and a small playground. They also have programs to entertain kids of various ages.

Their Web site is www.casaybelresort.com if you want to check it out. We're off to Sanibel in 3 weeks -- can't wait!