Captain's Tip in NYC

Search

Captain's Tip in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain's Tip in NYC

We recently visited NYC and had dinner one night at a very nice restaurant. When the bill arrived it had a line for a Captain's tip and, well, since this was the first time either one of us had ever seen it before,it really threw us for a loop. We didn't want to insult the guy but we didn't want to be ridiculously gullible either. If we tipped the waiter 20% how much more should we have tacked on for the Captain? Do you tip them both the same or is 5-10% reasonable for the Captain since he probably doesn't have to share with anyone like the wait staff does. Help! We were really stumped.

We ended up tipping both 15% which seemed like the best compromise since we had no idea what to do but 30% is a lot of tipping.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
kealalani

excellent question.......anyone? bueller??????

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
LilRicky

It is a bit of an anachronism, I think. When I have come across this, I simply leave it blank, because I don't know who the "captain" is!

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:33 PM

This must be the new trend. I saw this recently at the Flatiron District restaurant.

Unless the captain did something for you, I don't think I'd tip them. Pay your normal tip to the waiter and let them sort it out.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Boy, talk about anachronisms---and unwelcome ones at that---this is a throwback to a much older time. In my opinion, it's just a gimmick to try to pry more tip out of you, and it's in poor taste.

The last time I saw a captain's line was when I had dinner at Windows on the World many many years ago. These days, most restuarants pool tips and dole them out based on some kind of system, though in my view waiters should always get more, followed by bus people, followed finally by the captain or maitre'd. Sommeliers sometimes receive a small percentage of total wine sales, and on rare occasions, you'll see a line for the sommelier as well, though I haven't seen one of those for a long time.

Many people also tip a smaller percentage of the cost of wine (particularly in NYC, which tends to gouge you mercilessly on wine prices).

I simply would never tip more than 25%, and that would be for very special service indeed. If you really want to tip on that line, 5% is sufficient, but I'd still make sure the total tip doesn't exceed 23% (18 + 5).
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:13 AM
LilRicky

I agree with Doug!

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Tavern on the Green still has a captain's tip, or at least it did when we ate there recently during the Christmas season.

My husband asked, "What is this?" I couldn't remember having seen one, so beckoned our waiter and asked. The waiter assured him that our tip was already included (party of six) and DH signed the bill with no further additions.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
mdn

It seems like the benchmark for what a good tip keeps creeping higher. There was a time when 15% was acceptable and people didn't frown at a 15% tip, although 18-20% was supposed to be the norm for good service. In the past couple of years it seems like 20% has become "normal" and more for good service. Like Doug suggests, 25% is the mark for very good service.
However, the New York Times discussed tipping etiquette sometime last year and I found that the 20% tip should be applied before the sales tax is added to the tab. Hence, 15% tip on the total tab (after sales tax) is approx equal to 20% pre-tax, and that should be acceptable.
Recently I was at Ruby Tuesdays in Times Square and saw that they add an automatic 20% tip. When asked, our waitress said that they get a lot of tourists/foreigners who don't tip and therefore the restaurant started adding the automatic 20%.

In any case, I think this whole "Captain's tip" is a sham. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP's restaurant was in Times Square where restaurants seem to get rather creative. Like that restaurant that once charged me $.50 when I asked for a small slice of raw onion to go with my cheeseburger. Not that the amount was material, but it always bothers me when people do such sneaky things.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:29 AM

I think I might consider just writing something like "red-right-return" on the line for "Captain's tip."

(Any sailors out there?)
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM
dmlove

Recently I was at Ruby Tuesdays in Times Square and saw that they add an automatic 20% tip. When asked, our waitress said that they get a lot of tourists/foreigners who don't tip and therefore the restaurant started adding the automatic 20%.

If they're so concerned, why don't they just raise their prices and give the 20% to the staff? A tip is supposed to be a tip, not a built-in charge. It's bad enough (but I do understand) when restaurants include the tip for a group. But when something like Ruby Tuesday starts doing it for everyone, it's ridiculous. I won't be eating there.

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Unless you had a captain that did something special for you (special table, birthday cake arrangements or something) just draw a line through it.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM

<<Recently I was at Ruby Tuesdays in Times Square and saw that they add an automatic 20% tip. When asked, our waitress said that they get a lot of tourists/foreigners who don't tip and therefore the restaurant started adding the automatic 20%.>>

Italian friends of mine visited NYC recently. They were staying in Times Square. We spent one full day together, and they asked me to explain tipping to them. They began to describe a situation I didn't understand, so they pulled out their receipt from dinner the night before. As mentioned above, a Times Square restaurant had added a mandatory 15% tip, even though they were a party of two people. I had never seen this done before for so small a group.

In Italy, tips are always included in the bill, but my friends knew the system in the US is different. They weren't sure what to do, since below the mandatory tip there was a line for an "Additional Tip." In their ignorance and concern to do the right thing, they added on another 15% tip. I explained that this was not necessary, that the mandatory tip was probably adequate. Then I looked at the name of the restaurant.

My Italian friends from Torino, the land of magnificent food and wine, had tipped a total of 30% at Olive Garden. I was appalled. I said, "You paid so much and I bet the food was bad." They nodded assent. Again and again during our day together I cringed when I recalled this situation.

So in this case, instead of the wait staff guaranteeing tip a foreigner, they took advantage of a foreigner's ignorance of locals customs.

I carefully explained the appropriate levels of tipping to my friends. I also explained where they could find better food at reasonable prices on Ninth Ave, a short walk from Times Square.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
OO

red right returning. LOL soccr
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Most of the tourist restaurants in Times Square add a gratuity these days, as do places like some Andrews Coffee Shops in tourist areas. It's important to read the bill carefully. I'm always annoyed when they put the blank tip line anyway (and especially when they don't say "addtional" as is often the case).

But you will rarely find that in a fine dining restaurant unless you have a party of 6 or more. Though there's a special charge for large parties at Tabla that I find particularly galling ... an extra charge on top of the 20% tip. Honestly.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM

By large parties, I mean parties of 12 or more. I know it's a lot of work, but the prices are high and the waiters are getting a pretty heft tip at 20% of everything.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM

A number of years back, I had just started a job in NYC...it was around the holidays, and my older sister who worked near my new job, asked if I wanted to meet up for lunch somewhere. Not knowing the area too well yet, we just settled on Friday's.

I was amazed at how much the prices were....something like $12 for a burger!

When the waitress came by, she casually asked if we were in town to see the holiday displays. (It was near 30 Rock) We told her no, we were just grabbing a quick lunch then back to work. She said, "Oh, if you show me a work ID or business card you can order from our "Business Man Special"

We showed our IDs and then were handed 2 identical menues, with "normal" prices ($7.95 burgers)

A week or so later I saw a "Shame on You" segment from the local television station busting the chain for gouging tourists.....

Not sure what this really has to do with the OP, but Ruby Tuesday's story made me think about it again...
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM

Unless you're on a cruise boat, I wouldn't be paying a Captain's Tip.

I'm not looking forward to working out the tipping system in the US when I visit in August - sounds like a nightmare. As is all the added taxes. In Australia, the price you see is the price you pay - tipping is optional and taxes are always included in the original price.