Capitol Reef--tell me everything you know about it

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to hear insights on places to stay near Capitol Reef, weather there in early October, places to eat, hikes to take...we'll be entering from Arizona, after a few days in Canyon de Chelly...

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM

I enjoyed it, the hike to Hickman Bridge (moderate) has some great views, the scenic drive and Grand wash walk (just went until it narrowed and then returned to car from the lower end),picking apples in the historic orchard. I came from the Utah end and took the Burr Trail road which I recommend if the weather has been dry.

Lots of good restaurants in Torrey. I wound up staying at "the cowboy Motel 6" aka RimRock but ate at the Capitol Reef Inn Cafe (nice food and good value but slow slow service. Of course the RimRock's restaurant seemed even slower which is why I gave up waiting. Try some beef, even if you eat it rarely.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Our last visit to Torrey starts here:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/88471770
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I was there in Oct several years ago during a tour of Utah parks. Loved Capitol Reef and weather was great!! We stayed at a B&B that has changed hands. Ate at restaurant specializing in bean pies - local flavor type of place but I don't remember the name.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Do you think one full day is enough, or should we book two full days (three nights)?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Ok. Let me take the other side.

Of the places I've been to in Utah (Zion, Bryce Canyon, Willis Creek, Devil's Garden Escalante, Lower Calf Creek Falls, Capitol Reef, Goblin Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, Fisher Towers, several places in the Moab area) Capitol Reef was one of my least favorite places.

We hiked Hickman Bridge (pretty good), the Chimney (so-so), Grand Wash (nothing really).

Maybe it was because we saw so many other amazing places.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM

If you are not going to take the Burr Trail, a full day is fine.

There are some cool petroglyphs there, peterboy has a photo of them. I recall they were pretty close to the road.

Photos in this album start in Cedar Breaks, via Rte 12 and end in Capitol Reef, mid October.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann...ksCapitolReef#
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Awesome. Is it also possible then to leave Torrey early morning, drive to Bryce, knock out a couple of short, scenic hikes and then drive to Vegas (about 260 miles away)? Or is that too big of a day?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM

It's quieter than the other parks nearby and we really liked having the place to ourselves. No buses in and out and far, far fewer hikers than Bryce or Zion.

We spent one day there and will go back someday!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:45 PM

I think that is too big a day. Hwy 12 will have you stopping for pictures often.

Bryce isn't my favorite park, though. I would rather detour thru Zion, maybe spend the night in Springdale. The next day you'll be within easy reach of Las Vegas.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Got it, thanks. Been to Zion many times (my boyfriend lived in Springdale for a spell), so it's not big on the agenda, although we love it!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Must eat at Cafe Diablo in Torrey!!!!!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM

heavenlyflwr,

There are a variety of places to stay in Torrey. I liked the Sky Ridge B&B, that's the one that has changed owners in the last couple years. I haven't been there yet with the new owners. Nice place to stay, not cheap, don't know how their breakfasts are now, but used to be great. Need to book ahead!

More budget is Austin's Chuckwagon Motel. Basic, but nice, with great, friendly and helpful owners and a handy general store on the property. Pool and laundry too.

Slacker's Burgers are really, really good, even to someone who never orders burgers....

If Cafe Diablo is still open, definitely eat dinner there! They close for the winter while the owner/chef skis at Alta all winter!

I really liked by dinner at the Rimrock, but couldn't stand the Capitol Reef Cafe. Lord, talk about poor service and lousy food...

My favorite hikes at Capitol Reef are Hickman Bridge, Cohab Canyon, Golden Throne, and the petroglyph boardwalk along the Fremont River, very nice.

Definitely take time to enjoy the Gifford farmhouse pies and the fruit orchards, complete with deer herd.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM

I agree with Dayle about the pies and Orchard. I hiked 30 miles covering all the major trails there last October. While it was very good and I don't regret doing so, it is my least favorite place in Utah that I have visited. I even like Goblin Valley better(which is an hour or so up the road). You won't find very many people on the trails, which is a big plus, fall colors were pretty good(Oct 17-20,2009).