Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Cape May great restaurants besides the Mad Batter!

Cape May great restaurants besides the Mad Batter!

Aug 21st, 2003, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Cape May great restaurants besides the Mad Batter!

Visit Cape May for the first time and would appreciate some suggestions for dining. Heard great things about the Mad Batter. Also, any musts for the area? Thanks
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM

Hi Susannah!The Mad Batter is a wonderful place for breakfast or lunch, but there a better restaurants for dinner.

We haven't been to Cape May for the last few years but, previous to that, we had visited 4 or 5 years in a row, and we always dined at the Washington Inn. We found the food and service to be very good. They have a pretty garden room in the back that has wondeful ambience.

I hope this helps.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:17 AM

I was in Cape May approximately 4 years ago and there was not a great restaurant scene there. The restaurants there are very typical--like that which you would find in any suburb. Yet, there was always a big line to get into them. There were, however, a few "nicer" places off of the main street, but nothing special on the main street--which was over crowded with families and baby strollers. I would just ask around when you get there for the "nicer" places...someone will be able to point them out to you.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:25 AM

Susannah - I was in Cape for July 4th weekend and found many great restaurants. I can recommend The Merillon Inn and Water's Edge (a little pricier than most). I also heard good things about Daniels, though we didn't get a chance to try it. Where are you staying? Take a trolley or horse-drawn carriage tour or just walk around to get a look at the beautiful victorian homes - some really nice places are on Jackson Street.
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:04 AM

Cape May is full of wonderful restaurants. We live in Atlantic City and visit Washington Inn several times a year. Dress code and very good food and service. Reservations a must in summer. Also more casual is the Lobster House on the water right before the bridge into Cape May. Very busy and they do not take reservations. Have waited two hourse. Outside seating/waiting area and bar. Losts of fun for everyone.
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:17 AM

We've also enjoyed Water's Edge, and 401 Bank. Had breakfast at the Mad Batter, and while the porch was a really pleasant place to have breakfast, we weren't overwelmed by the food. Just OK.
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:20 AM

Daniel's, 410 Bank Street, and The Ebbit Room are all great restaurants. I believe the Ebbit Room s the most formal with jackets required for the men. Cape May has lots of really wonderful restaurants.
KathyH
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:12 AM

I agree with Kathy H, however, men do not need jackets at the Ebbitt Room. The food was excellent, but the ambience was a little too sedate for us. Cape May has many excellent restaurants: The Blue Pig at Congress Hall, Union Park at Hotel Macomber,Louisa's Cafe, Cuicina Rosa and The Mansion House. There also is a new place called Henry's on the Beach. We have not eaten there yet, but heard it is excellent. Enjoy!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:43 AM

We are big fans of the Lobster House. As Kovei said it can be busy but we go early and/or weeknights, or have a drink while we wait.
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:52 AM

We had our 1st truly romantic dinner together 3 and a half years ago at the Washington Inn, it was amazing. The food was to die for. There crab cakes are some of the best in NJ.
Sep 30th, 2003, 09:01 AM

The restaurant scene has changed drastically in the past few years. The Washington Inn is a fantastic restaurant that has been around for some time. Didn't get a chance to dine at the Ebbitt Room, but will next year.
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM

We just returned from a really fun week at Cape May with our entire family. Twelve members of family from grandparents down to 1st grader rented a house on Franklin St. (Excellent location).

We were all exceedingly disappointed by Lobster House. When we arrived on Tuesday night they advised a 1 - 1 1/2 hour wait. WE WAITED 2 1/2 HOURS. A number of other diners were frustrated by front desk's inability to come up with an accurate wait time. They kept saying "It will be soon.". Had they been honest and said they couldn't predict we would have left to return on a different night. As it was, by the time we arrived at the table we were all famished and grumpy. We found the food better than Red Lobster but not worth the wait at all.

The next night we ate at Ballyhoo which is in the Grand Hotel on Ocean Blvd. It was fantastic and a real surprise. There is a new chef and he made a tasty meal for everyone. He even came out of the kitchen to ask if we enjoyed our meal. What a treat!

We would not recommend Lobster House and would strongly recommend Ballyhoo. Both were priced moderately.
Aug 16th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Sorry but I can't help myself and have to vote for the Cape May Lobster House-let's start a new category for "after Labor Day favorites".Good Restaurants in South Jersey are so busy that they can get away with those huge waits.Please keep this a secret but if you get really, really hungry, they actually have a counter with the same great food at a fraction of the price and the atmosphere of eating on a dock somewhere.There are several tremendous B&B-type restaurants with tremendous food but w/NYC prices and little of the Cape May atmosphere.
Aug 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM

We were just in Cape May a few weeks back and loved the Lobster House. That being said, we didn't eat in the restaurant but got crabclaws, sampler platters and shrimp from the fish market they run and ate it at the plentiful tables on the wharf. We were travelling with a 7 mo. old so this was perfect and the food was great (even if a sea gull did grab our last shrimp when no one was looking!)
Aug 28th, 2004, 02:31 PM

My husband and I go to Cape May at least twice a year. There are many good restaurants. Two other great restaurants are Freda's and Tisha's. Tisha's is on the beach and Freda's is near the mall. Both are BYOB. We have been to Daniels and that is good as well. Enjoy your stay.

Search this Thread