New York City Hotel Mid-town

Aug 14th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

New York City Hotel Mid-town

I want to take a budget trip to NYC for 2 days in mid October. There will be 2 adults and a 10 yr. daughter(her Birthday). The plan is to Amtrak to Penn Station and check-into the Hotel. I have read some Down-er Trip reports on the 2 places I have thus far considered staying at: Hojo Penn Station and Ramada NYer. The price range I would like to stay within is $350.00-$400.00 total for the 2 nights. Is there such a place. I do not wish to use Priceline etc. because of the fact We need 2 double or 2 queen beds. I have heard this is not a guarantee thing with Priceline etc. A king bed will not do for the 3 of us. I would like to be close to Penn Station in a OK HOTEL... Please help . This is my first visit to NYC and I want to see Time Square,Rockefellar Center, Central Park, the Double Decker Bus around town.I do not want to blow the trip by staying in a seedy hotel. Please enlighten me........
Aug 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM

You might want to try the Hyatt- they have some kid friendly specials from what I've heard.
Aug 14th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Eva

October is one of the more expensive times to visit NYC. You should look at quikbook.com. They usually have decent rates. The 2 places that you mentioned are not particularly nice nor is the area around Penn Station all that great. I am sure there are some decent places close by--quikbook has a map feature that you can use as well.

As far as the Amtrak goes, if you are a AAA member, there is a special whereby kids ride free if you book during August (good for travel through December). The code is H413.

Enjoy your trip!
Aug 14th, 2004, 02:56 PM

The Penn Station area is not very pleasant and IMHO not the best place to stay - and there is no real advantage to being there - since you will need to take the subway to many places anyway.

And the two hotels you mention are generally mentioned as quite awful. If you can't use Priceline try Quikbook, or some of the other discount sites, or perhaps one of the Affina hotels - which I believe are all suites - and have good rates.
Aug 14th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I agree, just because you're arriving at Penn is not a reason to stay in the area.

I recommend the Murray Hill East Suites hotel, where we recently got a 1-bedroom suite with complete kitchen, for $135 per night.
Aug 14th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Why not check out the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th Street? It's in a great location, it gets good reviews on tripadvisor I believe, and it's in the heart of the Theater District, shopping, and 3 blocks from Central Park. I would go on the H Inn website, as you get better rates there than on the discount hotel websites.
Aug 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM

NYC is really no place to visit on a tight budget...just the hotel tax will be adding up to close to another 100 bucks.

In your price range, you can find clean and safe, but room-wise you are looking at small and cramped for 3 people. Think "2 double beds with 2 inches between them, and half-a-bathroom".

That said, I noticed Comfort Inn Manhattan available on Quikbook, it's a decent place and you could walk it from Penn Station with light luggage. The subway is practically right outside the door of this hotel to anywhere you want to go...EmpireSB is a 5 minute walk, times square maybe 15 min walk etc.

Comfort Inn Midtown is another good budget choice, available at choicehotels.com with "internet user discount", "AAA discount" or "Senior over 50 yrs discount". Not close to Penn Station, but very close to everything you want to see, and about 2 long blocks from subway.

Comfort Inns free light breakfast is a plus when you're on a budget.
Aug 14th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Hi ibob

I recently stayed at the Belvedere (48th and 8th area) and am booked again in September. Nothing fancy but a decent sized room with 2 double beds, frig, microwave, etc and the staff was terrific - a great quiet location as well - across the street from an elementary school but only a couple blocks to Times Square, etc. tripadvisor.com reports were good so I gave it a try and am very happy I did. In May I booked the NY1 special there for $179/night which included a full (fabulous) breakfast and in September I've booked without the breakfast special (my traveling partner has food allergies) for $145 a night. Check it out at newyorkhotel.com

Good luck.
Aug 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Another vote for the Belevedere. Have stayed there twice in the past few years and I was pleased both times. It is very convenient to the sights. I would not stay in the Penn. Station area. Have heard good things about Red Roof Inn and also Comfort Inn Midtown. The Mariott has specials at various times and so does the Doubletree Inn and they have suites at Doubletree. You can key in New York and the names of these hotels and do a search on this forum. Have a great trip.
Aug 14th, 2004, 04:09 PM

I like the Comfort Inn MIDTOWN a lot, especially because it's the only all-nonsmoking hotel in Manhattan. BUT I'm pretty sure they have only small rooms, none with the 2 beds that the OP needs, so they should check carefully before booking this one.
Aug 15th, 2004, 03:31 AM

I too would say- stay away from a Penn St. Hotel. I stay between Days Inn and Hojo on 8th and Super 8. Great locations- the hotels on 8th are 2 subway stops from Penn uptown on C or E trains. As mentioned however- NYC is tough on a budget- tourist areas are costly.
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I agree you should avoid staying right near Penn station. It's not the prettiest area and the restaurant choices near there are somewhat limited too. You've gotten good advice on alternatives. I'd check the Avalon Hotel. It's not too far from Penn station but on the east side. It should fit your budget. The other place I'd try is the Lucerne. It's on the upper west side so a less typical tourist location but very nice place near the Museum of Natural History. Good neighborhood restaurants and nice feeling.

Applecorehotels.com are a group that get good reviews here. They include the Comfort Inn Midtown that's already been mentioned (not ALL Comfort Inns in NYC though, be careful). Ironically they also include a few hotels nearer Penn Station like a Super 8 I think but the Comfort Inn Midtown is the one everyone seems to like.

Affiniahotels.com is another good suggestion if they have something in your budget. All their rooms are suites.
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Another place to look at is the Courtyard Marriott Times Square South. It gets excellent reviews on tripadvisor, is well located on west 40th st. People report getting good deals on the Marriott website for rooms with 2 double beds.
Aug 15th, 2004, 10:24 AM

check travelzoo and eleisurelink to see if they have any hotel specials
Aug 15th, 2004, 08:03 PM

I would at least try Priceline for two rooms for both nights... you might get lucky for a 4* or 3* at around $90 for each room and for two nights you would still be around $400.

The benefit would be much more space and a better hotel in the end.
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:05 PM

I am a big fan of the Roosevelt Hotel in mid-town (http://www.theroosevelthotel.com/ ), just a block from Grand Central Station. They sometime run specials on their web site for as low as $119-$129.

Another hotel that I like, which was recently remodeled, is the Park Central Hotel, across from Carnegie Hall in midtown (http://parkcentralny.com/beta/).

I believe both of these hotels also show up on quikbook.com.

Happy travels.
John H.
Aug 15th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to NYC in July and we stayed at hotel Thirty Thirty in Midtown. I have posted a trip report with links and pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find som useful information there. Have a GREAT trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Took the Amtrak to Penn Station last year and stayed at the Super 8 Times Square mentioned above. I have stayed there a second time as well. We were a family of three on the train trip. A cab ride from Penn won't cost you too much. The rooms weren't large but fine for us. The total with tax was somewhere around $140 per night with AAA discount. Comfort Inn is just down the street and usually runs about $10 more per night than Super 8. I completely agree about staying outside the Penn Station area, one of my least favorite parts of Midtown.
Aug 16th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Recently stayed at Super 8 Motel in midtown (46th street, between 5th and 6th avenue. They had rooms with 2 doubles and 2 queens. The rooms were tight, and very basic, but clean and the location was great. The staff was very nice. we were able to store our luggage before check-in when we arrived, and after check-out on the day we left. Also, they upgraded one of our rooms to a suite. Not exactly what we we would call a suite, but it was appreciated. It was one double bed in one room, and one double bed and a micro/fridge in the other room. It also had parking for $20 day, which we took advatage of. All in all, we would stay there again. The best price I found was on Super 8s web site. However, when I went to book it there, I couldn't, but I called the toll free number, explained the problem trying to book on the web site and they honored the web site price.
Aug 16th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Also planning trip in October. Any comments about the Warwick for price?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO