Cape Cod, Nantucket, or Martha's Vineyard

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going up to Boston with our dog in June for a family reunion. WE have decided to go a couple of days earlier, but are not sure whether to go to Cape Cod, Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. I have read that they are all very pet friendly, so I"m not worried about that, I just want to make the most of our time up there!
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:04 PM

My husband and I spent a few days in Nantucket in September.

I loved the architecture, the island culture, the history, the deep roots of family and the sea-faring life.

It is so pretty and charming. Just enough of a town to explore and discover easily, an abundance and range of restaurants. I really enjoyed the Whaling Museum, and going on long walks through residential streets.

We enjoyed a community theatre production of The Graduate, and several bars have live music in the evenings.

I've never been to the other places, but Nantucket really feels like another wonderful world.

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:17 AM

It would depend on how many days you have, whether personally I would recommend just driving to the Cape or having to go off the mainland to MV or Nantucket -
also, accomodations - pet friendly or not - may make the difference, b/c June is a busy month with events, weddings, etc and places in popular locations here fill quickly -

If you search for threads on Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket -Cape Cod -Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket -
those types of titles - you will see there are tons of threads on just this subject - which one to pick -

and you will see just as many opinions on which is someone's favorite

We have spent the past - oh, over fifteen years - on both islands, one for a week each july and the other most of August - we love them both, but we have our preference for Martha's Vineyard - we also love areas of the Cape -

Also read about each island online, what they offer that might interest you more (whaling museums, lighthouses, beaches, different towns, etc) and the Cape (Provincetown area, Chatham)

"a couple of days" - if it is only or 3, i'd stick with the Cape - but that's just my opinion !
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:30 AM

Thanks Kailani. Good times. We were there for The Graduate as well. Can't wait to return.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:56 AM

With just a few days, I'd probably explore the Cape. There is so much to see and do, and there are some spots just as beautiful as anything on the islands.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM

If you decide on just the cape, be sure to visit Chatham. Weather is still iffy in June, but it's a beautiful place. The Chatham Bars Inn and the Wequasett Inn on Pleasant Bay are nice places to stay.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Just thought I'd share. The history of Nantucket is very interesting and fascinating. Here are some of our favorites on Nantucket:

Activities:

Rent bikes and ride to and from Sconset. Have lunch and dinner there. (The buses carry bikes in the front for a couple dollars...flag them, if you get tired, and they will stop.)

Good entertainment at the Chicken Box, good company at LoLa41, The Club Car.

See a play (there is always something going on at the theater).

See the stars at night through the Maria Mitchell telescopes (we do that every year)...breathtaking views of the night sky.

Walk to and from the Main Street on different roads, never the same one. You will be amazed at what you can see. Comfortable shoes a must, since there are cobblestone streets.

Sunset at Madaket Beach one evening. Rent scooters.

The homemade cranberry icecream.

The sandwiches at Something Natural are the best, or Blue Water Bakery? (something like that).

Take a tour of the Whaling Museum, and other historic sites.

Rent a Jeep and drive on the beach, then have a picnic. There are beautiful galleries, visit all of them,

Enjoy the best food (particularly the garlic fries at Le Languedoc downstairs).

Sconset Beach and cottages are unforgettable.

Best coffee at the Bean.

Stay: Century House bed and breakfast, http://www.centuryhouse.com or Hotel Cliffside http://www.cliffsidebeach.com/. Both are in a great location.

Dine: American Seasons, http://www.americanseasons.com/Le Languedoc, http://www.lelanguedoc.com/ Topper's at the Wauwinet, Black Eyed Susan's and breakfast once at Fog Island Cafe.

We keep coming back to Nantucket because it is different. We also love the New England feel and the history.

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

THanks for all the responses! I think we decided on a couple of things: 1) We are not bringing the dog anymore. AS much as we love him and as dog-friendly of a place MA is, we decided that it would be easier to do a vacation without him. Secondly, we are going to stay on the Cape and use this as a base. WE will only be there for around 3 days, so I figured we could drive and do day trips on some of the days. Therefore, I think we want to stay around half-way down the cape so that we are centrally located. I heard Dennis and Chatham are great. Now I'm just exploring where to stay. I don't want to spend too much as we are heading to Boston for a family reunion the day we leave. I was thinking around $200 a night.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

Ther are many lovely B&B's and inns in Chatham (our favorite is the Captain's House Inn), but they tend to be a bit pricey, especially after June 15 - not sure what dates in June you plan to be there.

The Harbor Breeze of Cape Cod (www.harborbreeze.com) in Harwichport is more reasonably priced, but very pleasant, and across the road from Allen Hartbor. Harwichport is nice, and conveniently located between Chatham and West Dennis. If you wanted to take a day trip to Nantucket, there is a ferry from Harwichport.