Cape Cod Help- Aug 2016 long weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow travelers ! My hubby&I are heading to cape code for our 3rd anniversary. Two professionals from Ohio, late 30's, no children yet. Well traveled internatlonlly, but have never been to this area. Flying Into BOS fri am, renting a car and heading to The Cape. we want to stay in town that is on or close the beach (that has people -not very secluded) and that is close to shopping restaurants etc. seeking that balance between nature and small town activities. we are staying one night in provinstown and then also going to marthas for a day. contemplating between Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis or should we stay closer to Truro and Provinstown and perhaps check out Hyannis when we take ferry to marthas. Where should we stay?? Want to book this weekend !
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:41 AM

This is very late to book.

I have a huge preference for the outer cape, so I'd stay in Provincetown where at any rate there will be a two night minimum on weekends in high season.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:48 AM

look at Falmouth - lots of warm water beaches, ferry to Martha's Vinyard, shopping malls, fun downtown with some great restaurants. Another very nice smaller town is Wellfleet.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:49 AM

Don't stay in Hyannis. Definitely head to outer Cape--Truro, Wellfleet, Provincetown. If you only have a weekend, I would either do the Cape OR MV, not both. I'd consider staying in Chatham, Brewster, etc. as well. Great beaches, restaurants, galleries. But you will run into a 2-night minimum at most places.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Any suggestions on places to stay on or near the beach in Falmouth or outer Cape?
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Would Truro be good place to stay for exploring butter cape? open to suggestions as well...
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 07:05 AM

I'm going to hazard a guess that you will have great difficulty finding rooms on a weekend in the Cape before mid- to late-August. I took a quick look at the Crown & Anchor in P-town (epicenter of entertainment in town, fun fun FUN place, I wish I was there right now) and their August weekends are pretty much sold out right now.

P-town might be a bit boisterous for you if you're seeking a bit of quiet New England romance. High Season in P-town brings unbelievable amounts of visitors from all over. Being that it's also a summer favorite for Broadway and cabaret headliners to get in front of super-appreciative audiences, that brings in even more people. It's bustling with fun-loving folk, gay and straight, all colors of the rainbow, all co-existing joyously and exuberantly. And why can't we have more of that in the world lately...?!

If you can find lodging in Wellfleet or Truro, get it. If you want to check out P-town, make it a day trip. LEAVE EARLY (traffic can be awful and parking in town becomes a nightmare after 8 AM-- just a fact). Good restaurants abound in the outer Cape, so come back when you've secured a room and we'll make suggestions.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

I meant outer cape, not BUTTER cape, lol
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Not that you asked but you can take a ferry to PTown (Provincetown) from Boston very easily from Logan airport. You can also fly.
Once in Ptown you can take a shuttle to all the way down to Harwich and to all the beaches and other areas. You can also easily get around on a bicycle.
The Red Inn $$$$ is probably booked but you may check there.
Not my favorite part of the Cape but you should be able to find accommodations in Yarmouth. There are some noce beaches down in Dennis. The outer Cape however, is part of 40 miles of pristine the National Seashore.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 11:20 AM

Not that you asked but you can take a ferry to PTown (Provincetown) from Boston very easily from Logan airport. You can also fly.
Once in Ptown you can take a shuttle to all the way down to Harwich and to all the beaches and other areas. You can also easily get around on a bicycle.
The Red Inn $$$$ is probably booked but you may check there.
Not my favorite part of the Cape but you should be able to find accommodations in Yarmouth. There are some noce beaches down in Dennis. The outer Cape however, is part of 40 miles of pristine the National Seashore.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 11:18 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Looking at your criteria, Chatham fits what you're looking for.
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Actually it looks like there's still lots of availability all over the Cape in August.

In the moderate price category I would consider:
Ship's Knees Inn in East Orleans
The Bramble Inn in Brewster
By The Sea in Dennisport
Surf n Sand Motel in South Yarmouth
Eagle Wings Motor Inn in Eastham (halfway between Chatham and P-town)
Old Jul 9th, 2016, 01:48 PM

If you decide to stay in Truro , as I would if possible , you don't have to drive into PTown early because you can take the shuttle . It also goes to the national seashore beaches.
Old Jul 10th, 2016, 03:51 AM

I don't have a specific recommendation for a place to stay, but I think Falmouth matches your priorities.

If you want recommendations, you probably should provide your budget.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 04:50 PM

Maybe I missed it but do not book falmouth the weekend of August 20th - that's the busiest weekend in town due to a road race. Otherwise it fits your requirements.