Search

New England Beach Vacation...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New England Beach Vacation...

Hi,

I know it's way in advance, but I want to start getting ideas now. I am looking to rent a house for a week next summer-- late August or early September. Will be driving from NYC. Not interested in the Jersey Shore.. have done that many times. Love the Hamptons.. but it is difficult to get a reasonably priced rental for a week. Was thinking of the Outer Banks.. but think it's the start of hurricane season. There will be approx. 6 adults and an infant. We're looking for a 3-4 bedroom home. Would love to be very close to the beach. We're thinking Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard. I've never been to either place and would love feedback... and recommendations for rental agencies. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
Jen
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:33 PM

How about Connecticut? Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, Westbrook or Clinton might fit the bill. There are lots of beach rentals available for a lot less $ than RI or Cape Cod. And all four towns have lovely town centers with nice restaurants and factory outlet shopping nearby (if that's your cup of tea). The beaches on Long Island Sound have nice sand and not so big waves - great for infants depending how big he or she is. Just a thought - and less hassle to get to for you.

But if you have your heart set on the Cape, we love Falmouth. Nice town, good beaches and activities, and much easier to get to then further down the cape.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM

I'm thinking the Cape would offer more options as it's much bigger than MV.

Also you would have to take the ferry over to Martha's Vineyard and back cutting into your one week vacation time.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM

For Cape Cod rentals take a look at www.weneedavacation.com or www.cyberrental.com

If you want some assurance that you will be getting just the right place, take a weekend trip this fall or early winter to the cape and check out some places you are considering. Stay in a romantic B+B, experience the cape without the touists and relax! I think it's a great excuse for a romantic getaway before the BIG vacation!
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 04:27 PM

In addition, try vrbo.com and A1vacations.com. Rates drop after Labor Day on the Cape. Weather can be super hot, cold and rainy or anything in between. I, personnaly, love the Cape in the off season. Just be aware that weekends, even in the "off" season, are VERY busy and crowded.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.. I checked out some of the websites.. A1 Vacations, Cyberrentals, etc. and they seem to offer lots of choices. Cape Cod seems very spread out. I know someone recommended Falmouth. Does anyone else have any preferences? We love going to the beach and quaint little towns. Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:16 PM

We go to the Cape a lot, and If you want to experience beautiful uncrowded beaches, go to the mid or upper cape areas. Chatham, Orleans, Eastham are all great places. Rentals on the beach are pricey, try a rental located on one of the "Kettle" ponds that dot the area. Most of them are great for swimming, warmer than the ocean, and you can always get in the car & drive a couple of minutes to either ocean or bay beaches. Chatham is very preppy, with lots of unique expensive shops, good beaches, restaurants, etc. Orleans is a nice, not so snooty, alternative. It has a really great ocean beach, shops, restaurants, things to do, and less crowded on the weekends than Chatham. Eastham is laid back, not many shops, no town center to stroll in, just beaches and a much slower pace.