Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you please help me decide which hotel??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has to go to New York to attend a trade show near Times Square in May. I am going with him and will shop and maybe go to a spa while he works. We would like to go to a play while we are there. Which hotel would be the best for location and everything else? I have looked at Affinia 50,Doubletree Suites, and the Residence Inn. They are all about $350-$399 a night. That is my limit for how much I will spend. Do you have any other ideas or advice on which one to stay? I don't like real small rooms and would like to walk to some things part of the time. Please advise!!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I have stayed at the new Residence Inn about 7 times in the last year. I have also stayed at many of the Marriott properties in the city, all for business. This hotel is diagonally across the street from Bryant Park, so Times Square is an easy walk. If you stay here, breakfast is free and on business nites, there is a free simple dinner - like soup and a sandwich, hot dogs, pizza, etc....nothing fancy.
The rooms are decent size and include a kitchen area which can be nice if you do take out. There's also a nice bar...I would recommend it!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Check out my thread on Manhattan Club, I would stay there again. See NeoPatricks link to rental website. I think you can also call them direct. Tripadvisor has phone #'s.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34956929
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM

While I love the location of the Affinia 50, it's not really near Times Square if that's where your husband has to be daily. The Affinia 50 is on the east side. Is the show at the Javits Center b/c that's even further west than Times Square.

The Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square is what the name implies, 1 bedroom suites. There are nice views from most rooms.

The Residence Inn while newer than the others is all studio suites --one large room not 2 separate rooms.

All of these are nice hotels and will be in a convenient location for walking to shops, a lot of sightseeing and Times Square but the Aff. 50 is furthest from TS.

The Blakelyhotelny.com is another lovely hotel near Times Square that has some suites. The newish London NYC hotel is a suite hotel and has been running some specials for $369/night or so. Not sure if it's still on offer. The Michelangelo is another nice hotel that's sometimes available on quikbook.com for a good price. The Elysee is another nice option.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I often go to trade shows in NYC and usually find that some of the best rates are offered through the show's website or information provided to attendees via e-mail or regular mail. Do you know if there something like this available?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Used the Doubletree, found it very convenient. My friend was attending something at the the javits but at the end of the day the middle of midtown is the place to be. the rooms were nice, you can go to bed and your travel companion can stay up in the living room, you have a wet bar. the staff was really nice and tried to help with any problems. but you should search this forum with some key words and you might get some great suggestions and save some cash.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! I have narrowed it down to the Doubletree or Residence Inn. The lightshow he is going to had some great rates at 10 hotels but they are all full and not available.The Doubletree is $419 with breakfast and the Residence Inn is $399.I have looked on Quikbook,orbitz,priceline and can't really find any better prices. This week in May must be high. We are going to the Neil Simon theatre. Thanks again for all the input. Any thing else like where to eat or things to see would be great. We have only been 2X and don't know much about the city.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:11 AM

I'd try to get the Doubletree without breakfast depending on savings.

Where is the trade show?

The Michelangelo is very near the Neil Simon theater.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I've never been to the Residence Inn, but I was very impressed withthe the Doubletree when i stayed there about a year and a half ago.

We were given free breakfasts as one of us was a Hilton Diamond member. It was an all you can eat buffet and it was delicious.

If your two options are the Doubletree with brekkie for $419 or the Residence without for $399, I'd go for the Doubletree in a heartbeat.

And you can snag some fruit and pastries from the buffet to snack on later.