Please help me choose from among these NYC hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughters (ages 16 and 13) and I will be in NYC the first week of July with two goals in mind: 1) seeing a Broadway show every night, and 2)shopping for unique but not too expensive clothes. I posted another thread and read other threads to get ideas for hotels. I've checked prices and the trip advisor reviews and have narrowed town the list. I'd like the hotel to be safe but yet convenient to shows, subway and shopping.

Here's the list:

Blakely
Hampton Inn Times Square
Doubletree Suites Times Square
Westin Times Square
Casablanca
Mariott Courtyard Times Sq. South
Residence Inn Times Square

Please let me know your opinions of these hotels and which you would recommend. I know there are lots of NYC Hotel threads and I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM

My choices would be:
1. Casablanca
2. Blakely

Personally, I wouldn't stay in Times Square under any circumstances. But that's just me. (Although we have stayed at the Doubletree when the kids were small and it was very nice - especially with a group of 3 or 4.)

Also, I know nothing about shopping.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:53 AM
dmlove

Not commenting on the others, just telling you that the Residence Inn Times Square is not in Times Square -- it's actually kitty corner from Bryant Park, I think at the corner of 40th and 6th (Avenue of the Americas). The location is fine, and of course, there's that free breakfast. Very safe, very convenient. Note that it's just one big room, and I personally think the kitchen takes up too much of it. Also, the bathroom is TINY -- one person at a time, no kidding (sink, toilet and shower all in one tiny room).

Old Aug 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I was thinking that the two southermost hotels (Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn) might be convenient for shopping.

But tiny bathrooms, yikes! - that's just the kind of valuable info that I need!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I assume you don't mean first week of July?

I'd go for the Blakely in a 1 bedroom suite with 2 beds and daybed. If you can't swing that, second choice would be Hampton Inn TS with 2 queen beds. I think the Casablanca rooms are too small for 3 people (unless you get a suite).
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I just stayed at the Westin Times Square this July, and I absolutely loved it. We went to New York for shows (one or two per day) and the location was great, the rooms spacious, and the hotel immaculately clean. I also liked being across the street from Duane Reade and a block away from a ton of subway lines. There were really great travelzoo deals for there this summer. Not everyone loves the theatre district for hotels, but having stayed in other parts of the city, I must say that this is great for seeing shows.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM

My daughter (19) and I did a similar Broadway trip last year...we stayed at the Hampton Inn (used reward points)and found it to be convenient to everything, quiet,clean, and of course the price was right.
The breakfast area was mobbed in the AM, but somehow we hit it right and didn't have to stand in line (close to closing time the line was ridiculous).
With 2 girls, I would choose the Doubletree for the extra space and sofabed.
We saw 3 shows in 2 days and had some fun meals and alot of laughs...no shopping though!
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

I actually did mean the first week of July, 2009. I know that the theatre district is a mob scene, but we want to see a show every night and would like to be able to be just a short walk from our hotel.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 01:22 PM
TC

My two choices would be either the Blakely or the Doubletree. I have stayed in both.

The Blakely (a suite) will have ample room to spread out. The location is great for shopping and for access to subway. Lots of good restaurants in the area and close to Central Park for UES or UWS shopping. Broadway shows are only one or two stops away on the direct subway line. The down side are that the baths aren't huge and could get quite crowded for all you ladies. Once, when I stayed there in the summer the air conditioning in the suites was horrid. Never did cool the baths. We complained and got lots of apologies, but the fact is it just doesn't work any better than that.

The Doubletree is in a great location for seeing shows. You can walk to almost all. The girls will love the high energy of the Times Square area post-shows. Lots of good places to eat and there is a subway stop literally under the hotel for easy access to anywhere in the city. The layout of the DT rooms is great for a share. The bath is big with two sinks and a large mirror and vanity. There is also a mirror and sink in the living room over the "bar" which is quite acceptable for make up application. This makes it so much easier for everyone to get ready to go out at once. The hotel is also very safe. You must show your room key to be allowed to enter the building on the main floor at night.

I've stayed also at the Casablanca. The rooms are small and I wasn't impressed with the location although it might be better now. There was a huge gang raid on the street right in front one night with lots of weapons drawn. Very scary. The building is old and the rooms a bit worn.

No personal experience with the others you mention.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Funny-in my mind I'm leaning toward the Blakely or the Doubletree...looks like the two roomiest options for price. The Blakely has a free breakfast, the Doubletree doesn't. I found a $360 AAA rate at the Doubletree and I went ahead and booked that for now. I can always cancel if (and when?) I change my mind.

I do need to study the map and the subway lines a bit more. I was thinking of Herald Square and SoHo shopping. Tell me about the great shopping in the UES and UWS...expensive?
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Upper east side shopping - besides all of the standards - tend to be true designers on Madison Ave - and VERY big $. The upper west side shopping is more branches of standards and local boutiques - but not esp good for teen shopping. Better for Central Park, Museum access and great inexpensive dining.
Old Aug 12th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Ahh, shopping, know your talking my language. It really depends on what your looking for. Let's start with my favorite "discount" Macy's on 34thst is the original and the worlds biggest store. In July you can get 50% off and another 20% off with a coupon for summer merchandise. Lord and Taylor has the same types of discounts. Also if you want to make a day out of it you can take a bus ride to Woodbury commons in Harriman, NY. http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet...p?id=7It's the country's biggest outlet mall, they have everything including Marc Jacobs and Chanel (upscale outlets - check they website If you want boutiques Soho - south of Houston street is a great place to shop. The kids love that area as well as the village. 5th ave other than Saks, and Bergdorfs is more for window shopping. Have a great time.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

So is Macy's on 34th still a "nice" store? All of our Dillards became Macy's and the quality is not only not like Macy's, I don't think they're even as nice as Dillards was.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
GoTravel

I don't particularly like Macys.

For mid priced shopping I like Bloomingdales much better.

For top end I like Bergdorf Goodman.

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM

hi missypie,

i'm planning a trip to NYC for the week after Christmas with my daughter, niece, sister-in-law, mother, and mother-in-law.

If you buy those "MapEasy" maps of Manhattan (they're separated into midtown, downtown, etc.), they list all the names of shops and restaurants on each street, so it makes it easy to find the areas with stores that your girls like. They even have insets of neighborhoods, which is even more helpful.

After doing that, here are some shopping areas that looked good to us:

Soho, Greenwich Village, Nolita

Bloomingdales and the area around it.

Union Square / Flatiron district (our hotel is at union square)

34th St., east of Macy's (I don't particularly care for Macy's)

5th Avenue -- mostly for window shopping, although there is definitely a huge variety of shops here.

Have fun!! Wow -- a play every night! That sounds amazing!
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I have the Red Maps from a 2007 trip (recommended by Fodorites.) I plan to just bring those-some of the stores may have changed, but they will still be helpful in figuring out what type of stores are in each neighborhool.

We live in Dallas, which is a huge shopping city. We're always on the lookout for stores we don't have here. (I'm amazed that we don't have H&M...don't they know how great it would do?! We did get a Zara a year or so ago.)