Camelback backpack

Dec 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Camelback backpack

I was considering purchasing a Camelback to go hiking with. Has anybody had any experience with them? How heavy do they get? We plan on taking a few hiking trips in the near future- the Grand Canyon, Zion and Yosemite.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about posting twice! I did not see it after the first time...
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM

My husband skis with a Camelback--but just for water, not the full backpack. He says it isn't heavy, but that could depend on what size you get, and therefore, how much water you put in it.
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:44 PM
mms

We have been using Camelbacks for years. They are fantastic for hiking! As far as weight goes, the unique itself is very lightweight. They can be added to any backpack, and the hydration compatable packs make it easier to stay put. I like the camelbacks better than nalgene bottles or other things because they are so convenient. That sure makes it easier to stay hydrated.
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
TheWeasel

Totally depends on which backpack you get and how much stuff you put in it. Camelback is a brand name, but there are a number of similar products - the basic hydration backpack is pretty small with a removable water reservoir, but you can get larger packs that fit more stuff.

It's fairly easy to figure out the water weight as the water reservoir is usually 70 or 100 ounces, but after that it's up to you and how much you want to carry. Depending on the length of your hike, you will probably find you don't need to fill it up completely.

Dec 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM

I have a Camelback 70 oz classic. I use it for hiking, skiing, and biking. I really like it a lot. It is so light weight I don't even know that I am wearing it.

It is very easy to drink from. I know that I drink a lot more when I wear it.

I bought it on-line from Campmor.

http://tinyurl.com/2b83p4

Dec 5th, 2007, 05:04 AM

I rec'd one as a gift a few years ago and now love it. It has the hydration bag built into the back of a small backpack (daypack). We started out just using it for hiking/biking but now we use it all the time, even when we are daytripping at festivals & events. I even plan to bring it for our trip DisneyWorld later this month.

The built-in daypack feature is great. Even tho it is very small, it easily carries an additional thin layer, Gortex shell, camera, binoculars, compass, tissue, Purell, snacks, etc. It's very convenient to carry only one item instead of a daypack with a Nalgene hanging off of it, and I find a water bottle inside a daypack always seems to take up so much room.

We also drink a lot more water than if we were carrying bottles since we don't have to stop. It is much more convenient and because the weight is distributed, I don't even really notice it.

Enjoy-la!
Dec 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM

These hydration systems are widely used here in the very dry Southwest. They seem to be the rule rather than the exception.

They are light, compact, can carry day trip necessities and encourage you to drink the water that is so important at altitude.

Deb
Dec 5th, 2007, 08:24 AM

My husband uses one for mountain biking. Loves it. Just shop around for the different models -- considering your needs, i.e. how long are you hiking for w/how much water you're going to need most of the time. His buddy likes to have a lot of water and bought a "dual" pack version. Good luck!
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!
I checked out the website and I was amazed by the amount of choices.

Any other ideas?

Search this Thread