Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Camden Maine - Ferry to Monhegan Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:27 AM
nick

My family and I will be in Camden, Maine for two nights in mid-June... I know there is a ferry trip out to Monhegan Island - I am thinking about that for one afternoon...

How long is the boat trip from Camden? Can I plan a half day (say 12-4PM for the trip and visit to the island? Or do I need more time, go earlier or later, or skip it entirely?

Any other "don't miss" suggestions for the Camden area? Thank you all.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Nick

One addition to this posting - Would it make more sense to try to visit Monhegan Island from New Harbor, Maine? We may be at Pemaquid Point one day so could also make this trip from New Harbor if there is a ferry out to Monhegan? I'd appreciate your thoughts... thanks.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Don

Don't know about a ferry from Camden. There's one from Port Clyde that (if I remember correctly) takes 45-50 minutes each way. Typically you'd leave in the morning and return in the afternoon--I don't think there was a schedule that'd allow you to take only four hours.

From New Harbor there's a ferry that leaves New Harbor at 9:00 a.m. and leaves Monhegan at 3:15 p.m. (So you'd need to devote more than four hours if you want to take the trip.) Here's a website for this one:

http://www.hardyboat.com/monhegan/monhegan.html

Hope you enjoy Camden and/or Monhegan--both beautiful places.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
jersey

We went to Monhegan by a boat called Balmy Days II(search the internet for the website). But, it left out of Boothbay Harbor. It was great! We saw a whale, seals, and the island was so scenic. You'll love it.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Sharon

We went to Monhegan Island out of Boothbay Harbor. The Island is beautiful and the boat ride over is fun. Not much to do on the Island but some nice hiking trails.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:00 AM
sharon

Just one more thing. Last summer in Camden, we had an incredible meal at a restaurant called The Cork. Check it out.