Search

Best way to get from Bar Harbor to Schoodic Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to get from Bar Harbor to Schoodic Peninsula

Hello!
My family and I will be staying at Mt. Desert Narrows Campground this summer. What is the best way to get to the Schoodic Peninsula? I see that it is about a one hour drive from Hulls Cove Visitor Center. I also see that there is a ferry between Bar Harbor and Winter Harbor. Any insight from someone who knows the area would be great!
Thank you!
Cindy
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM

Why do you need to see Schoodic? It's just a road that rides along the ocean. Not really any different from Northwest or Southwest Harbor drives. Winter Harbor is a very small town with maybe one place to eat. Driving north of there along the little outport towns is scenic. The ferry is pricey to Winter Harbor. The drive wasn't bad and is a good option. Lot's of old Maine.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM

The Schoodic section of Acadia National Park is lovely and seems to be less travelled. I've driven there but haven't taken the ferry (http://www.downeastwindjammer.com/Ba...dex.html#sched). Being out on the water is always nice and the ferry connects with the Island Explorer Bus so you can plan your trip accordingly. The drive is 'downeast' and may be a better option if you want to mosey through and hike at your own schedule or stop off on the side roads to Sorrento, Hancock Point or Lamoine Beach. Acadia, including Schoodic and Isle au Haut, offer scenic vistas and trails for almost every level. All of the Mount Desert Island towns and villages - Bar Harbor, Tremont (Bass Harbor), Northeast and Southwest Harbors are close to the Park. Have a great vacation.