Monhegan Island experts OR Acadia (withkids)

Feb 24th, 2004, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Monhegan Island experts OR Acadia (withkids)

Anyone been to Monhegan Island? Thinking of that or Acadia. Possible to do both in about 9 days with three teenage kids.....
Thanks...
Feb 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Never been to Monhegan Island, but my guess is it would be very quiet.

With teens, I would like lots of activites available, and Acadia would certainly suit.
Feb 24th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Elberko is right, Monhegan is quiet, but absolutely lovely. Many artists have painted there. Jamie Wyeth currently has a home on the south tip of the island. There are some wonderful hikes, great scenery, interesting boat trip out and back. With teenagers, a couple of days on the island might be plenty, leaving the majority of your time at Acadia. By the way, Shining Sails on Monhegan is a great place to stay.
Feb 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM

We took a day trip to Monhegan from a boat (Balmy Seas II website?)in Boothbay Harbor.It was a great ride. We went in July a couple years ago. We saw a whale & several seals around the island.We had purchased a lobster picnic lunch & hiked on a path to the Cliffs 250 feet above sea level. It was a beautiful view. It is a quiet island with very few options-a few residents,no autos, artist studios & about 5 choices for dining needs.The scenery is unreal! Try searching the web for Monhegan Island. It was very informative & it had a forum(so the locals helped to answer some questions).We had stayed a couple days in Boothbay,stopped in Camden for lunch(also had nice shops),The state park in Camden has a great view of the harbor. Then we drove to Bar Harbor for 3 more days to enjoy the town, restaurants, & Acadia National Park. The teenagers loved it.
Mar 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM

I live in Maine and suspect the teenagers would prefer Acadia. Much more going on there and both are beautiful. How are you getting to Maine? If you fly into Bangor airport you could easily do both but I would lean towards Acadia/Bar Harbor.
Marcia in Maine
Mar 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM

Acadia has so much more to do that would appeal to teenagers. My sister-in-law lived on Monhegan, and it is isolated. Make sure that the weather is decent if you ride the ferry, as 9 miles out to sea can be a very long & uncomfortable ride when the ocean is tossing. You could travel south and hit the more lively beaches around Ogunquit and Portland (lighthouses, shops, culture...)