Search

Camden Maine?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camden Maine?

ok, having trouble finding a b&b in Camden Maine. Would Rockland be as cool to stay in as Camden? I'd like to be in a working lobsterman spot for photography. Boothbay is also an option. Thanks for any help
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

This would be Oct 13-16 stay rounding out the end of a fall foliage trip to NE -
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM

(I know ... I sound like a broken record!)

I think some of the windjammers offer overnight accommodations when they're not sailing. Wouldn't hurt to check since you're interested in lobstermen.

www.sailmainecoast.com

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:07 AM

Camden is very beautiful but it is also geared to tourists. Rockland is much larger with a wonderful museum of art, the Farnsworth, and also the very interesting Owls Head Transportation Museum. Boothbay is also geared for tourists with lots of shops and restaurants. If you want some good photos I would suggest traveling to Bailey's Island and the Harpswell area (go east of Brunswick). Also check out Five Islands Lobster's website. They are on a working harbor. There's a nice short hike and picnic area at Owls Head lighthouse. It's amazing to see the number of lobster buoys. From Rockland, you can check out Waterman's Beach. Some of the lobster shacks are closed except for weekends and close completely at the end of September. There will still be lobstering going on but you might find less activity in certain places. Boothbay is 8 miles off Rt 1 so I don't think it's as convenient for traveling around as staying in Wiscasset or Bath.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 04:01 AM

We haven't stayed here but looked into it last year and the prices looked good. It's right in downtown Camden and I believe some rooms have a view of the harbor.
http://www.lordcamdeninn.com/index.htm
We went to Stonington for the first time last month and, if you have the time to go that far Downeast, that's a classic working waterfront. Check out the Inn on the Harbor http://www.innontheharbor.com/
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I'm not sure about the lobsterman status of Camden but we had a wonderful stay at the Black Horse Inn. B&B atmosphere but a little more privacy. Enjoy!
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have decided on a b&b in Camden. I just meant, Lobsterman in and around the area as we will be travelling about each day until the end of our trip and back to Bangor. Starting in Bar Harbor and gonna drive down the coast a little south first couple days then hit NH/VT for serious foliage fotos and then back up the coast to Portland then Camden - we will cover lots of ground in 11 days. Thanks again very helpful
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Yesterday I heard the first foliage report with the prediction that we are going to have early color. I always consider Columbus Day weekend to be peak for the Concord NH area. Other Fodor posters also seem to be predicting early color. The recent cold nights (40s) started things going. Northern NH has already had a first frost. I wouldn't be surprised if peak is the last weekend in September. Happy fall.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
nlg

We stayed at the Lord Camden Inn last year and really liked it. You can walk
every where in town and there are lots
of restaurants-great seafood. The breakfast at the Lord Camden Inn was very good also.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Rockland Maine is an excellent place to stay and minutes from Camden.
We did a series of articles on Rockland Maine and we were very much impressed as to what they did with this place.
You can check out the series at

www.sketchandtravel.com

under the article section and Maine.

Good luck
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM

A fabulous midcoast B&B is "The Tipsy Butler" in Newcastle, Maine, next to Damariscotta. Not too far from where you're going, I don't think. All the nice touches, lovely rooms, wonderful breakfasts, an innkeeper who knocks herself out to make your stay pleasant, and doesn't overcharge, either.