Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

i wish for a week in this coastal village....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you were given a week to stay in a maine coastal village, which would it be? we're in central california and know nothing about the coast of maine. there are so many villages! which is your favorite? we'll be there in september.
thanks.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
TahitiTams

I was in Maine for the first time in September and me being a coastal girl in La Jolla, I found the Kennebunkport area gorgeous!
I feel in love with Maine..
The homes, the coast, the food, the people..everything about it was just wonderful..

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Author: bassharborbaby
Date: 12/04/2007, 07:53 pm
Bass Harbor, Maine. On the coast, on the 'quietside' of Mount Desert Island and close to Acadia National Park. September is wonderful - private and great weather. Consider a cottage on the shore so that you can watch the tide change, the lobster boats and the sea birds. Day trips to everywhere - up to Baxter State Park or downeast to Lubec and Eastport. Rockland for the Farnsworth (Wyeth) Museum. Fly into BGR (Bangor) if you can or Manchester NH or Portland ME and stop at LL Bean in Freeport (open 365/24/7).

There are so many villages that you will have a hard time deciding where to stay. Try vrbo or acadiamagic for accommodations in our area. The local Chambers of Commerce can be very helpful. Have a great time.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Our most recent visit was a week in Wiscasset. I liked this area because of the proximity to lots of places to explore and great lobster shacks. Bar Harbor, however, is too far from Wiscasset for a day trip. I also liked Searsport. Nothing fancy but closer to Bar Harbor which you should explore. The Blue Hill Peninsula next door is also lovely. The mid-coast area is less built up than southern Maine. If you want more outdoor activity I think you should be closer to Bar Harbor. There's some sandy beaches in the southern part of Maine. North of Portland tends to be mostly rocky beaches. Southern Maine is more congested. Camden is also a must see, cute shops but also beatiful views from top of Mt Battie (take auto road) and a harbor that's home to several windjammers. If you can find a cottage that's within driving distance to Bar Harbor to the north and Rockland to the south, I think it would be ideal. Keep in mind that if it's out on a peninsula, i.e. the Pemaquid Point area, you'll be putting on miles each day to get to someplace else. For that reason I wouldn't pick the Boothbay area. But, if you want to do more sitting and enjoying the view and less driving, the Boothbay area might be perfect. Expect downtown to be mobbed on weekends even in Sept - same with southern Maine. Popular with weekenders.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM

That's the beauty part of Maine-there are so many picturesque towns on the ocean. If you are there for a week; you may want to try a couple.

I love Boothbay Harbor-stunning-beautiful setting-great lobster "in the rough" places to eat.
Also, Bar Harbor is fabulous. The drive in between is great, too.

Of course, the most picturesque and quaint New England town is Rockport, Massachusetts (I know you didn't ask about MA-so that's a bonus answer).
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your help.
your idea to be midway bar harbor/rockland is a good one.
we'll spend time in the most beautiful village in ma. on our way north from cape cod....also kennebunkport.

if any of you have stayed in a cottage on the beach that you liked, please tell us about it. we'll check out vrbo (we've stayed with them in montreal) and acadiamagic.