Search

Maine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:09 AM
mdn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine

My gf and I are going on a 4 day road trip from NYC to Maine- Bar Harbor, Acadia Nat'l Park. We have a B&B in Bar Harbor booked for the first 2 nights already. We will drive from NYC to Bar Harbor on a Friday with a brief halt in maybe Portland (should it be somewhere else? total around 8 hrs drive-5 hrs to Portland + 3.5 to Bar Harbor). My questions are:
1) On the way back we'd like to spend Sunday night in some place between Bar Harbor & NYC. Considering Camden, but something further south would be more convenient from a driving perspective, since excitement levels on the way back won't be as high & a long drive back to NY will be tedious. Or is Camden really so much better than most other towns that we should still stay in Camden even if it's not exactly halfway.
2) Any recommendations for restaurants in the Bar Harbor area or in Camden/alternate location that you may recommend. I've seen a lot of seafood posts but wondering whether anyone knew if moose etc. were on the menu at any restaurant. Been reading a lot recently about moose hunting in Maine (facing a dilemma-the hunting part didn't sound very nice but I'm still curious as to how the meat tastes)
Many thanks.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM

try to visit schoodic point while you are in bar harbor. its part of the park but not on the island. very beautiful, very dramatic and still the way all the coast of maine used to look.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:06 PM

We were disappointed in Camden so I would not make that the stopover. We loved Five Gables Inn in East Boothbay if they have availability and it is a little closer to the city -- maybe an hour. http://www.fivegablesinn.com/
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 01:04 AM

In the general area of midcoast Maine, I can recommend a lovely B&B called "The Tipsy Butler" in Newcastle, Maine. (Check it out on line.)

We stayed there for 3 days this summer. We had a king size bed, lovely bath with shower and tub, A/C, TV and all the niceties.

The innkeeper will knock herself out to make your stay enjoyable, accommodations are wonderful, and breakfast is fantastic.

Just a thought!

Vermonter
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:24 AM

Camden has a beautiful harbor, home to windjammers. There's a fantastic view from the top of Mt Battie (take the auto road) overlooking the harbor. (Bring binoculars.) Camden is very upscale and geared for tourists with some fancy shops downtown. It all depends on what you want to do. We prefer the quieter towns such as Damariscotta and Wiscasset. We were impressed with Bath's 4th of July spirit but it's a shipyard town. Some good restaurants but not a lot of 'expensive gift shops'. If you get a rainy day you might want to stay in the Rockland area where there is a wonderful art museum, the Farnsworth, and the Owl's Head Transportation Museum.
Portland is a great city to spend a weekend. Fun shopping in the Old Port area but the mall area, lots of traffic, etc make it a little confusing for a brief stop. Expect a lot of traffic around Freeport, but it's smaller and you might want to check out a couple of outlets or LL Bean.
I haven't seen moose on any menus but you might try a google search. If game is on the menu it's usually farm-raised someplace.
You also might consider Portsmouth NH for your last night. Great restaurants and scenery. If you get good weather maybe fit in a morning harbor cruise or inland rivers before you head back to NYC.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM

It is now moose season in the northern
WFDS.Next year the MW&IF are going to expand the permits to some southern districts.Pick up a permit application and you might get one for next year.
If you are unfortunate to run into a moose with your car and it is killed you can keep it for your own use.Some folks donate them to a food kitchen.
The sale of game is prohibited in Maine so you won't see it on a commercial restaurant menu. every now and then a local Fish and Game Club will offer check the local newspapers.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:34 AM

York Harbor Inn or Terrace by the Sea (in Ogunquit) would be further south than Camden and probably just as "alive"...though it gets pretty quiet in Maine after Columbus day so be prepared.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM

Camden is a pretty town with a lovely little harbor......but the main drag is cheek to jowl gift shops, which may or may not be a draw. I like smaller quieter towns myself.

We just got back from 8 days in Maine and things are closing down fast.....everyone is getting ready for winter. Just a word of warning, it will be very quiet.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:56 AM
mdn
Original Poster

You all are amazing! I'm looking for a B&B in the Portsmouth/York vicinity since that is ~ halfway between Bar Harbor & NYC. We're also planning to drive through Camden and spend a few hours there. A lot of the popular places are fully booked for that Sun. since it's Columbus Day wkend., but hopefully I'll find something soon.
This was my first post ever to Fodors' & this experience means I'll probably become a regular from now onwards! Thanks to all.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 02:40 PM

York Harbor Inn is a nice place, with a pub (with music some nights)and a nice reasturant. The pub is far enough away, so as not to be a bother.
I don't know about moose, but you could ask. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM

If you are going to stay in York, check out the "rough" at the Lobster Barn". That is the restaurants outdoor bar area, full of locals and just a blast.
You will not find game (moose) on any menu in Maine, southern at least.
We love to go to Portsmouth, NH. Lots of nice little restaurants in the waterfront area, then there is Gilly's , the old trolly selling hotdogs and beans into the late night!
Have fun