Cambridge / Harvard Square ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I will be in Cambridge for one night, Friday July 9th. We are staying at the Cambridge Marriott arriving 11am or so and leaving early next morning. We have spent time in Boston but never Cambridge. I'm thinking we will just spend the afternoon walking around Harvard Square. Can you walk along the river from the Marriott to Harvard Square, I see a road (Memorial Drive I think, map is not in front of me now) along the river but is it safely walkable and is it a nice walk? Any suggestions for casual lunch and dinner fare in Harvard Square or other parts of Cambridge? Not looking for anything fancy or expensive this trip. Any other suggestions for a summer afternoon or evening in the area are welcome!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:33 AM

Well, walking Memorial Drive to Harvard Square would be just over 3 miles. The more direct route Main St. to Massachusetts Ave would be about 2 miles. Or, you could hop on the T at Kendall and take that to Harvard Square.

We love Fire & Ice (they have a website) just off Harvard Square.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks djk - I had a vague memory of someone saying it was a pretty walk by the river but that seems a bit far ... will probably take the T.

I'll check out Fire & Ice website.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:41 PM

Oh -- at Grendel's bellow upstairs at the pudding GREAT pub fare VERY cheap for Boston. But what is crazy is if you each have $4 in beverages it goes to half price for the whole menu for "happy hour" which if I remember is MANY hours every day. Worth a look and great menu (coming from a vegetarian). Have fun!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well. I live in Cambridgeport between Harvard and MIT and walk to Harvard Square all the time.It's a lovely walk by the river. Eat outdoors or in at Henrietta's Kitchen at the Charles Hotel or at Legal Seafoods, or Rialto, all top dining spots in the HV Sq. Sq of the Charles Hotel. Upstairs on the square is good also as is Sandrine's on Holyoke St.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:57 AM

I second Cigale's suggestion of Sandrine's, particularly for lunch. A little expensive at dinner time, but very nice lunch fare.

If its rainy, or you want to do something indoors, consider the Fogg Art Museum. Its small, won't take very long, and enjoyable. There are several other Harvard affiliated museums as well.

Also, if you want some evening entertainment, The Regattabar in the Charles Hotel is a great place for jazz.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 08:31 AM

Although it is a bit of a long walk from the Marriott to Harvard Sq along the Charles, it is a lovely walk, especially if the weather is nice. And you can always take the T back to the hotel.

If you want to eat near the hotel, the Blue Room in Kendall Square (sounds like the same address as the hotel, but is actually 2 or 3 blocks away) is a terrific choice, eith for dinner or especially a Sunday brunch.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Rizzuto - Is there a pedestrian/bike path or a sidewalk along the river for all or at least most of the way?
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:50 AM
mm

There is a Legal Seafood restaurant right next to the Kendal Sq. T station.

One of my favorite places to eat and have fun is the East Coast Grill in Cambridge. Perhaps the best grilled and barbque food you'll find anywhere and quite possibly the best seafood you'll every taste.

Awesome!

http://www.eastcoastgrill.net/

Sorry but I can't recommend Fire & Ice. Cool concept but they can't pull it off. All you can eat but portions are small, waits are long, and cross contamination of food a strong possibility.

mm
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:04 AM

Yes, there is a pedestian path along the Charles River. If the weather's nice, I'd highly reccomend walking to or from Harvard square. You get nice views of Boston across the Charles - you can see the Esplanade and the view of the Prudential is nice too. Lot of boathouses as well.

For cheap eats near the hotel, check out the Cambridge Brewing Company -great suds and good pub food. In nice weather you can sit on the patio.

Also try to get to Toscanni's (Central Square) or Christina's (Inman Square near the East Coast Grill) for some of the world's best ice cream.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks All! Now I wish we had more time in Cambridge ... more time to eat anyway LOL!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
mm

After a nice meal I also enjoy the walk across the Longfellow Bridge to the Esplanade and the Hatch Shell (where they hold the Pops 4th of July concert).

mm
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM

Since you have limited time I certainly wouldn't spend it walking from Kendall Square to Harvard Square. If you walk along Memorial Drive, which has a nice wide sidewalk, I'm assuming you'll then walk along Massachusetts Avenue to get to Harvard Square. Let me say this: it is a long way and the only pretty part is the part along the river. Mass Ave is a very busy city street. I think you would be better served to spend your short time exploring Harvard Square. Hop on the T right there at the Marriott and two stops later you're at Harvard Square. It'll take 10 minutes tops.

If you did want to take that walk I would go with mm's suggestion to walk across the Longfellow Bridge to the Esplanade. Lots of walking/biking paths and beautiful scenery across the river looking back over to Cambridge. I used to run along the river on both sides and I never got tired of the view. There are always lots of people out so it's quite safe.

One word about the Blue Room in Kendall Square if you were thinking about eating there. It used to be one of my favorite places to eat but about a year ago the owner/chef left and someone else took over. I have since eaten there a few times and the quality has definitely gone down. I don't plan to eat there again.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:14 PM

Mrs. Bartley's Burger Cottage -- all kinds of burgers, named after famous people would make a fun lunch.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:30 PM

There's also a legal sea food with a terrace (across from Henrietta's Kitchen, a favorite of mine) in Harvard Square in the Charles Hotel courtyard.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:34 PM

other cambridge great eating places, Central Square: Chi chi's, Salts, Centro, Central Square Kitchen.
HV Sq: Harvest, upstairs in the Square, Sandrine's, Rialto, Henrietta's Kitchen,