What side of the Island?

Search

What side of the Island?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What side of the Island?

I have been reading Fodors and Maui Revealed to learn more about the island. My wife is looking to stay at the Huelo Point Flower Farm. We are fairly active and will do some hiking and snorkling. But I am concerned that Huelo is too far from anything. I know the island isn't huge but would we be better off in Lahaina or Kaanapali area?
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:20 AM

It depends on what else you want to do. An average visit for us would be to spend a week in Hana and a week in Pa`ia we puposely stayed on the north shore and in east Maui to avoid the tourist areas. But my husband is from Maui in the 60's and 70's and still has a hard time accepting that the island of his youth has changed so dramatically.

If you want to spend some time in the more commercial areas, why not split your trip and stay in Huelo for a few days and then elsewhere for the remainder of your trip? From Huelo you can explore east Maui, holoholo into Hana, spend some time upcountry, hang out in Pa`ia and Makawao. And if you are visiting in winter perhaps you will luck out and Jaws will be running
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
gyppielou

Yes! Split your time. We have done this every visit to Maui. That way you explore each part of the island rather than driving back and forth. I prefer Napali/Kapalua or Wailea to Kaanapali... but that's just me. All good.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I will be staying at the Huelo Flower Farm in September (pt Carriage House, pt Cottage), enticed by the view and positive comments about the place. One thing that I did not ask about the place was-- are the units air conditioned? I may have to give them a call just to confirm. I got concerned about a negative posts that mentioned about having no air conditioning, especially when it's hot and humid.

cheers.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 04:51 PM
sap

The Huelo Point Flower Farm is in a pretty area, but keep in mind that the north shore is very windy and the snorkeling is next to nil. It does sound like a split stay would be good for you -- Wailea or Kapalua for the snorkeling & beaches; and then Hana for the jungle/waterfall hikes.