COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Calistoga side trip from Highway 1?

Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Calistoga side trip from Highway 1?

Taking an eight-day trip down Highway 1 n July-- Mendocino to Capistrano Beach. But we are tempted by the Calistoga mud baths, which would divert us off our main route. We were thinking we could leave from Bodega Bay and go over there for the day, then head back to Highway 1. Does that sound reasonable, or would there be a better route? How much time should we allow for travel to and from Calistoga?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:46 AM

There is no highway between Bodega Bay and Calistoga.

The forty-mile drive will take you about 1 1/2 hours each way.

If you make this side trip, spend a night in or near Calistoga and take the opportunity to visit beautiful Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley.

HTTY
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:47 AM

however you go it's at least an hour, hour and 15 min each way...plus 1.5 hours for the baths, which to be honest afterwards I never feel like doing anything except kick back.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM

to clarify an earlier post - there's no highway but there is a road which is quite pretty. Not a highway and rather twisty.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:05 AM

Not a highway and rather twisty.

Which is why the forty-mile drive takes longer than one might suppose.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:07 AM

The most direct route from Hwy 1 to Calistoga would be to take Hwy 116 from Jenner to Guerneville and then River Road which becomes Mark West Springs Rd and takes you into Calistoga.

However, you could also cut over from Hwy 1 at Bodega via Bodega Highway to Hwy 12 to the Calistoga Road.

So while there is no one single highway there are several that will get you to Calistoga.

By the way, we live in the Napa Valley and rarely venture out to the coast in July. It's generally too foggy.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM

All I have to add is that I hope you make it to Calistoga and - GO TO INDIAN SPRINGS for your mud bath/s! Absolutely heavenly. http://www.indianspringscalistoga.co...ash-mud-baths/
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone. We love twisty highways! If the Jenner route is more direct, that would be good. If we did that, does anyone have any suggestions about a route back to Highway 1 from Calistoga that would put us on our way without missing too much?

It sounds like this would basically take one of our trip, so we will have to do some figuring, but it sounds wonderful. Indian Springs is exactly the place I was interested in, lantana.

We really have no options as far as the trip timing, so we will just have to deal with the July fog. With eight days, surely we will have some luck.
Old May 4th, 2011, 09:48 AM

If Calistoaga were essential to my itinerary, I would drive Bodega Bay-Sonoma-Calistoga-Yountville-San Francisco.

HTTY
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM

HTTY-I can't follow your route-while all the doubling back ?

Anywho, I agree with Otis' route-go over from Jenner on Hwy 116. At Monte Rio hang a left and continue on into Guerneville.
In Guerneville stay straight (don't turn right over the bridge)and follow River Road.

Continue west, you'll cross over Hwy 101 and this becomes Mark West Springs. MWS Rd. becomes Porter Creek Rd.and ends at an intersection with Calistoga Rd
and Petrified Forest Rd. Turn left onto PF Rd.

This will take you over the hill and intersect with Hwy 29.
Turn right and continue until the stop light at Lincoln Ave.
Lincoln is the main drag in Calistoga.

It's a beautiful drive and will will take you an hour +
w/no stops.

If you want to head into SF via Hwy 101-just retrace
your drive and head back to where Mark West Springs meets 101 and head down to SF.

I agree that if you can stay overnight-do a mud,then a massage-and swim in the pool as you won't feel like
driving after all of that.

From Calistoga, you could also head home on south Hwy 29
or the parallel, and very scenic, Silverado Trail.
Following the Silverado Trail into Napa town-turn right
wehn you hit Trancas St., then left on Soscol.
Stay on Soscol until you get to Imola Ave. Turn Right
onto West Imola-this will take you back to Hwy 29/121.

Hwy 29 will intersect with Hwy 12/121-you could turn right
at this intersection and head over to Hwy 101 via the outskirts of Sonoma town OR you could continue on Hwy 29
south through American Canyon & Vallejo (not so scenic)
until you come to a very large intersection with Hwy 37.

Turn right onto 37 and it will take you to Hwy 101.

Whew.

Have fun and let us know what you decide to do.

R5
Old May 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Great info and impressive directions, razzledazzle! We are thinking maybe we can head over that way and spend the night, maybe do the mud baths in the morning and head back to our route. We did this last year at Ojo Caliente in New Mexico (arrived in the late afternoon, soaked, got up the next morning, soaked more and got treatments, then hit the road. We were not exhausted at all-- actualy rejuvenated.

It would probably be most convenitnet to stay at Indian Springs. Do you know if accomodations include any of the spa amenities?
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM

Hi jayne, you are most welcome-the little "secret" ways to get around Sonoma County are lots of fun to share.

I don't think Indian Springs has packages.
Check their website to be sure.I do have some info about
their specific rooms.

This is why we are fond of Golden Haven-their Spa Getaway
package includes a room, mudbath (which you can do as a couple here), mineral jacuzzi and
blanket wrap and use of their pool. We like to go for the Ultimate Getaway
which adds in a massage-then we spend hours in the pool
and large jacuzzi's.
http://www.goldenhaven.com/vacationspa.htm

We are Mr & Mrs.Gumby afterwards

Happy to help with other questions !

R5
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:36 PM

Oh, another thing -watch those July temps in Calistoga-
I personally would not do a mud bath when it is over 80
outside-unless you are fond of things like Bikram Yoga and sweat lodges. Don't know what time of year your
New Mexico visit was (tell me more-did you write a TR ?)

R5
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Ojo Caliente is at 6200 feet and I believe the mud treatments are somewhat different than the ones you will find in Calistoga. If you are looking for an open-air, natural hot spring environment, there may be other choices that will suit you better in California. And, as razzle says, it can be very hot in Calistoga in July. Much warmer than the coastal areas which can be a shock if you've become used to the cool coastal temps.

If you want spa treatments, there's a nice place right in Mendocino although I don't think they're into mud:

http://www.mendocino.com/?id=1582

One problem with cutting over from the coast at Jenner to go to Calistoga and then rejoining Hwy 1 further south is that you will miss some very nice coastal scenery. The stretch from Jenner to Bodega Bay is quite spectacular and has a number of fine state beaches that offer coastal hikes and beach walking. At least drive down to Goat Rock where the Russian River meets the ocean. There's often seals on the beach here and if the tide is out, there's a great walk down to Blind Beach.

Then, of course, further south is Bodega Bay, the little town of Bodega itself, Occidental, Tomales Bay, Point Reyes Station, Point Reyes National Seashore, Bolinas, Stinson Beach and Muir Beach and Muir Woods as well as Mt. Tamalpais.

So, I guess my recommendation would be to drive right back to Jenner after Calistoga so you don't miss anything on the coast. It's a nice drive and you could visit the redwoods on your way over and then hit some vineyards on the way back. There's a lot to do in Sonoma County.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM

Hmmm...
I think the Salmon Creek State Beaches between Jenner
and Bodega Bay are quite nice, yet the drive between Ft. Ross
& Jenner is a jaw dropper !

You know, jayne, another unique spa to consider just east of
Bodega Bay off of Hwy 12 in Freestone, quite near Occidental, is Osmosis.
http://www.osmosis.com/
No lodging at osmosis, yet the Inn at Occidental is nearby-
http://www.innatoccidental.com/
and their are some nice places to dine in Occidental,
a fave is Bistro des Copains.
http://www.bistrodescopains.com/site/home

Freestone & Occidental are a 10-15 minute drive from Bodega Bay-so would keep you close to Hwy 1.

So many choices !

R5
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Razzle, Have you hever tried the cedar enzyme thing? The first thing that came to my mind was allergies! But it certainly looks interesting.

I was wondering if there were some good spas along the coastal road. We are not really big on fancy spas but did love Ojo Caliente. I didn't do a trip report as it was just a stop on a road trip last fall, but if you are ever out that way it is worth a stop. If you stay at their lodge, you can soak for free in all the pools, which stay open until 10 p.m. You also have access the day you check out, too, which is nice. I had a facial there that was almost a psychedelic experience!
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:04 PM

Yes,Jayne, we've both done the Osmosis "soak in the cedar"
experience and loved it ! I wouldn't have a concern about
allergies, in fact the whole experience is about ridding
the body of toxins-why not give them a call an discuss your concerns ?

Ojo Caliente sounds like it must be on our list !

R5
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Ok great I will do some investigating on the cedar soak. It does sound like a good alternative in case we can't make it to the mud baths.

Looking so forward to this trip...